The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-26-2017, 08:55 PM

Here is a pic of my Shorty next to my Larrivee OM. Essentially identical in size.

Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 06-26-2017, 09:20 PM

Is it only the financing that you want to get a Rainsong?

I don't know your current finances, but why not wait 6 months and try to save up? It's always nice not having credit especially on a guitar! (What if you don't bond and want to sell it?)

When I was looking heavily at Carbon Fiber guitars, I actually really liked the Composite Acoustic GX(Grand Auditorium size) the best out of all the carbon fiber brands I played. (Rainsong, Composite Acoustics, Blackbird).

I don't know if you have the ability to play any other brands, but with any guitar, the more you can play, the more you will be satisfied with your selection!
Old 06-26-2017, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

I've owned both a Shorty and a H-WS1000N2 12 fret, both great guitars, but I like the fuller sound from the WS, which I still own. Good luck with your purchase, there are a LOT of great CF guitars out there right now.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:22 PM

I was originally going to get a Shorty, but when I discovered that I could get a Concert OM with the 12-fret neck, I chose that. I didn't care so much about the carbon fiber vs. hybrid back and sides—I wanted the abalone rosette and shark inlays.

I love the guitar. I love the way it feels and the way it sounds. I love that I don't have to worry about temperature or humidity. I can leave it out all the time without worrying, and I clean it with Windex. All of these things would be true no matter what model you get.

But the abalone rosette—and especially the sharks on the fretboard—make me smile every time I see them. They were an impulse buy, frankly, but I'm glad I got them.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:09 AM

I have always played the Dred size guitars and when playing before buying I played the OS, OM, and even an older CA, but when I played the Hybrid H DR1000,
it had the power, punch, and sweet sound(I know that seem contradictory) I was wanting in a guitar.
The H DR1000 is my go to Guitar since 2012, and I can't see that ever changing. (unless I ever get my hands on a Rainsong Jumbo)
This is a picture from a year or so ago so the guitar ages are +1 or so.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 06-27-2017, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post
I have always played the Dred size guitars and when playing before buying I played the OS, OM, and even an older CA, but when I played the Hybrid H DR1000,
it had the power, punch, and sweet sound(I know that seem contradictory) I was wanting in a guitar.
The H DR1000 is my go to Guitar since 2012, and I can't see that ever changing. (unless I ever get my hands on a Rainsong Jumbo)
This is a picture from a year or so ago so the guitar ages are +1 or so.
I second the nomination for an H-DR.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-27-2017, 09:27 AM
Guest 928

For someone who does not have access to CF guitars, I recommend a field trip to Ted's place. That might cost some money, but in the long run, without having tried what is available, buying a guitar that you've not tried or compared with others can be an expensive mistake.

About the only cf guitars available in my area have been Rainsongs. A road trip to Michael's shop put me in touch with a wide variety of cf and gave me a chance to check out different sizes, scale lengths, and so forth. Maybe Ted will let you play his Savoy?
Old 06-27-2017, 06:25 PM
Guest 928

Another approach is to indicate where you are and ask if anyone close would let you fondle their guitar.

Bottom line here, I feel so sorry for you. Once you start looking around you are going to be boggled by your options. As far as I can see, there are no cruddy CF guitars. No matter what you pick, there will be others that are equally appealing; and they call to you, they beckon.

Pretty soon you will have to mortgage your house, sell your significant other, and start using pay-day-loans to cover your lust. Keep us posted on how all this goes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber