The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-07-2017, 07:11 PM

Default second thoughts before i buy

hi ; i sure would like some thoughts from some of you folks before i buy a classical guitar.never owned one but i've been playing fingerstyle for 45 years or so. i'm not a "serious " classical player , but if you guys could give me some pointers ,i'd appreciate it .thanks
Old 06-07-2017, 08:33 PM

For a neck under 2 inches in width, you could try a crossover. I would recommend, for a warm, Spanish, classical tone, a crossover made by a maker who specializes in classical/flamenco guitars. It's my guess that crossovers by the steel string makers have less warmth. For a two inch classical neck width, consider a shallower neck depth, which produces the effect that the neck is less wide than two inches. I like the idea of truss rods in classical necks, but if a guitar without one has a straight neck, than I'd consider that too.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:58 AM

good advice! does the cordoba GK series have a shallower neck? and a truss rod? thanks.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:08 AM

I went the other way....from Classical to steel string. My experience may help you in finding the right nylon string guitar.

I love the volume you get finger style with steel strings. If you are used to that, playing a standard classical design may be disappointing. Consider trying some of the double top guitars that maximize volume with out seriously degrading the tone. You didn't say what your price point was but here are some makers that have good volume and tone: Kenny Hill, Yulong Guo, German Vasquez Rubio.

Flat necks. Much different than a radiused neck. Not better or worse, just different. You many want to try a flat neck. If you don't like it, there are "crossover" nylon string guitars out there with radiused necks.

Where are you located? There are shops in most major cities that have a selection of classical instruments. Try before you buy is always good advice.

There is a classical guitar forum that may be of interest to you. Lots of friendly people and a great source of advice, lessons, sheet music and guitars for sale. Some rules that bother some folks but I found them very reasonable.

http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com

Good luck

Cincy
Old 06-08-2017, 05:46 AM

Yes, the GK series have a truss rod and the neck is much shallower

here's a link to the various neck profiles on Cordoba guitars

http://www.cordobaguitars.com/article.php?articleid=5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
good advice! does the cordoba GK series have a shallower neck? and a truss rod? thanks.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical