The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-10-2017, 07:34 AM

Default Scarlett 2i2

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlet2i2G2

Can someone a little smarter than myself explain to me what this does? I want to record myself with a condenser mic and sometimes the pickup in my guitar and record my voice and then put those two together and make a recorded track that I can have on my Mac Book and send to my phone. Is this what I need? I feel kinda stupid for even asking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2017, 07:43 AM

This will do what you want to do.

The biggest problem with recording straight into a computer is latency. You'll record a track and then try to record over it and there will be a bit of an echo on play back. This will help prevent that.

It will also provide power to microphones if needed.

Plug your microphone, guitar, and speakers/headphones into the the 2i2. Then plug the 2i2 into the USB port on your computer. Then you can record in whichever software that you prefer.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:06 AM

Yes, this is a good small interface that can allow you to hook up things at the proper levels so that software on your computer can record (and if you desire, overdub) things later.

It's main limitation is that it has only the two inputs. Your scenario doesn't exceed that limitation. You can record your guitar with a mic into one input and your internal pickup's preamp into the other. You can later (in software) record your voice. In fact, modern software will allow you unlimited overdubs, so you could (if you wanted) overdub yourself singing harmony with yourself, or a bass guitar part or second guitar part, etc.

The software will then allow you to mix those parts down to a stereo file which can be converted to an MP3 or burnt to a CD.

The interface comes with some "lite" versions of some recording software. I have not personally used them. Popular choices in inexpensive computer recording software are Audacity, Reaper, and GarageBand.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-10-2017, 04:59 PM

Use iPhone or iPad with iRig condenser mic and you won't get those latency issues.
IRig mic plugs into the iPad, record using your favourite software ( I like GarageBand)
Headphones plug into the iRig mic and you can lay track upon track, no latency or sound bleeding onto other tracks.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke_bl View Post
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlet2i2G2

Can someone a little smarter than myself explain to me what this does? I want to record myself with a condenser mic and sometimes the pickup in my guitar and record my voice and then put those two together and make a recorded track that I can have on my Mac Book and send to my phone. Is this what I need? I feel kinda stupid for even asking!

Good answers so far, but your question isn't being answered.

An audio interface contains the pre-amplification necessary to get the microphone up to a signal level that's appropriate to be passed on to the analog to digital converters; the second thing the interface "does". This digital stream is sent on to your computer or ipad where it's captured in an audio file format; most often as a wav file.
Lastly the interface takes a digital signal from your computer (or ipad, etc.) and runs it back through digital to analog converters to feed your listening choice, be that headphones or a powered monitor attached to the outputs of the interface.
The interface has an assortment of controls that allow you to utilize it's constituent components in a meaningful manner. Interfaces can have variant quality and usefulness depending on how much you're willing to spend.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:26 AM

With only 1-2 inputs and no other plug-ins running on the computer, you're not going to have any latency issues with the Focusrite box.
On a Mac, Garage Band is included and will do what you are wanting (and more).
Old 05-11-2017, 07:28 AM

Alright that's awesome feedback. Does anyone know how I would get the audio in a video of me playing it? Do I just record the take that I use and line the audio up with the video in the video editing software on my MacBook?

Old 05-11-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke_bl View Post
Alright that's awesome feedback. Does anyone know how I would get the audio in a video of me playing it? Do I just record the take that I use and line the audio up with the video in the video editing software on my MacBook?

Yes, that's the way! Before doing the song (with both camera and audio recording going) clap your hands loudly to make things easier to line up. then after adding the audio, just edit out the pre-song stuff.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-11-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlight View Post
With only 1-2 inputs and no other plug-ins running on the computer, you're not going to have any latency issues with the Focusrite box.
On a Mac, Garage Band is included and will do what you are wanting (and more).

Love your tune and recording.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:13 PM

Luke,
I just bought my 2i2 and have GarageBand on my Mac. I found all of my answers on Lynda.com. I'd been wanting to get into recording myself beyond what I could do with my little Zoom recorder and got the 2i2.

Once I bought it, I realized I had absolutely NO IDEA what I'd gotten myself into. Lynda.com to the rescue. Granted I learned about Grargeband on Lynda but in reality, along the way I've learned a lot about the 2i2 along the way.

Best,
PJ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD