The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-26-2016, 03:55 PM

Default Direct A/B of Cargo vs X7 ??

Has anybody ever seen a video of a direct A/B of a Cargo vs X7 ? I am torn between which one I may buy and have been looking for such a video but have had no luck. If anybody owns both I bet there are many people here that would love to see/hear it. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

I think that's a great question. I asked a very similar one a little while back. I own a Cargo Raw, but am interested in the X-7 Artisan. So, I'll look forward to the responses too.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:01 PM
Guest 928

You'll probably get five where the Cargo sounds best and five where the X7 sounds best. You may have to buy them both to be sure which one fits your ear best.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
You'll probably get five where the Cargo sounds best and five where the X7 sounds best. You may have to buy them both to be sure which one fits your ear best.
I wish buying them both was an option but with my economic situation it's just not possible.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:23 PM

Just got an X 7, liking it a lot, beautifully built and finished, sounds great for a parlour size geetar.
I've never seen a Cargo but read the spec and see that the scale is 22.75", vs the 24" of the X7, .

Not sure how it works out in the States, but from here they look about the same price..

In conclusion : I am no bloody help to you whatsoever.

You're welcome.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:40 PM

After research and some decent exposure to the X7 and a small amount to the cargo, I find the Cargo to have more Bass but slightly less of a clear sweet tone whereas the X7 has great clarity and balance but sounds more like a smaller guitar.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:09 PM

Default Direct A/B of Cargo vs X7 ??

I asked a similar question a few months ago. I was interested in the differences between the two, having a Cargo Raw and considering an X7. There was some good discussion but I ultimately went in a different direction as the body sizes were almost the same. Much different scale though
Old 12-26-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamarebel View Post
After research and some decent exposure to the X7 and a small amount to the cargo, I find the Cargo to have more Bass but slightly less of a clear sweet tone whereas the X7 has great clarity and balance but sounds more like a smaller guitar.
Having played both, and owning an X7, I would say this is a very good comparison of the two. But for me the defining difference is the scale length. I found the 22.75" scale length to be just a bit too small for comfort. The 24" of the X7 feels just right.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:36 AM

Prior to getting my X7, I did try the Cargo and thought it was a fun instrument to play, and almost took it home with me, but from the pictures I had seen of the X7, I thought the X7 was a nicer looking guitar, especially the Amber color, and I liked the idea of a slightly longer scale length.

Only issue I'd had with the X7 was having to pay before playing it, plus wondering if maybe the Cargo would have been the better choice while waiting 4 months for my X7 to arrive.

I did get to play the Cargo again after having had the X7 for 3 weeks. IMO the Cargo had a warm tone, but it did not have the clarity of the X7. To me my Artisan Amber X7 is a nicer looking guitar, and I prefer it's cleaner tone.
The X7 was the right choice for me.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

I'm not the OP here, but I really appreciate these comments! These may very well help me make a buying decision.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

I have owned both the Cargo and X7 and I kept the X7. I'll agree with what a lot of people say as far as tone. The Cargo has very impressive bass response for the size of the instrument. Almost dark sounding but string choice can brighten it up somewhat.

For me the scale length and neck size and feel was the deciding factor. In a nutshell the X7 other than body size does not feel like you are playing something that small. It feels way more normal as compared to playing a full sized guitar.

The X7 is a clearer tone with less bass response than the Cargo in my experience. One is not better in my book just different. I have put on darker sounding strings on my X7 and this did help with the overall warmth.

Bottom line is that to me (and I believe a lot of others) the X7 is small and will travel well but feels almost like playing a Full sized guitar. The Cargo in my big hands and frame kinda felt like a toy but a great and impressive toy at that.

They are both really nice guitars!
Iris OG Model Tuxedo Finish
Iris AB Model Big Leaf Maple B/S
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 12-27-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
Prior to getting my X7, I did try the Cargo and thought it was a fun instrument to play, and almost took it home with me, but from the pictures I had seen of the X7, I thought the X7 was a nicer looking guitar, especially the Amber color, and I liked the idea of a slightly longer scale length.

Only issue I'd had with the X7 was having to pay before playing it, plus wondering if maybe the Cargo would have been the better choice while waiting 4 months for my X7 to arrive.

I did get to play the Cargo again after having had the X7 for 3 weeks. IMO the Cargo had a warm tone, but it did not have the clarity of the X7. To me my Artisan Amber X7 is a nicer looking guitar, and I prefer it's cleaner tone.
The X7 was the right choice for me.
If I may jump in having owned both... regardless of scale differences...I found the Cargo a much better sounding guitar if your are more of a strummer warmer...better bass and fuller..... the X7os is a finger pickers dream with an almost piano sounding separation and sustain. It really comes down to your playing style. Also the X7os ergonomically and amazing finishes is a stunning guitar... especially the auburn finished woodies... just amazing but you can not hear these finishes.. ;-).

Hope this helps...

Chris
Old 12-27-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
If I may jump in having owned both... regardless of scale differences...I found the Cargo a much better sounding guitar if your are more of a strummer warmer...better bass and fuller..... the X7os is a finger pickers dream with an almost piano sounding separation and sustain. It really comes down to your playing style. Also the X7os ergonomically and amazing finishes is a stunning guitar... especially the auburn finished woodies... just amazing but you can not hear these finishes.. ;-).

Hope this helps...

Chris
Your response is exactly what concerns me Chris. I am mostly a strummer and am worried that the X7 will not sound good. I like everything else about it though. Size, comfort, weight, scale length, price, are all right in my wheel house.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrohl View Post
Has anybody ever seen a video of a direct A/B of a Cargo vs X7 ? I am torn between which one I may buy and have been looking for such a video but have had no luck. If anybody owns both I bet there are many people here that would love to see/hear it. Thanks.
Since I am not a dealer for either brand, and have owned both at the same time for years, I feel it's alright to comment.

To my ear, the Cargo has a bigger voice, with a much better bass response. It sounds more traditional, and is more versatile than the X7. The X7 is lighter, and has a longer 24" scale which makes it more portable, and more playable for folks who have trouble with the slightly shorter 22.75" scale of the Cargo.

I sold off my two Emeralds, an X5 and an X7, but still own three Cargos, which have served me well over the years. I like CA's very much, and in fact I could be talked in to stocking them again, as we did very well with the brand.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:54 PM
Guest 928

Ted;

If I remember correctly I bought my first Cargo from you. It was a neat guitar, ultimately sold to move on to others. And then I ordered a Peavey Cargo just to see. There was a big difference in quality between the pre- and post-Peavey instruments. I think the original CAs were genius designs impaired by some issues in quality control.

I have been surprised that Peavey has not made a bigger push into the CF market, or maybe they have and I missed it. In any event I think the Peavey/CAs would fit the quality of your musical instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber