The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-04-2003, 01:50 PM

Default Classical Gas

I heard Eric Claptons version of this the other day and decided that I wanted to learn more than just the first 10 or 12 bars.

Does anyone know of an accurate transcription of this they can point me towards (Either Mason William's or Clapton's)? I've looked around all over, but nothing seems to really catch everything thats being played.

Thanks so much,

Devon
Old 03-04-2003, 02:34 PM

Harold Streeter has a pretty good version.

http://www.lewalt.com/index.html

In addition there are several at OLGA

Somewhere in my files I have the original Mason Williams sheet music. Didn't know EC did it. Was it live or on a cd?
Old 03-04-2003, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

What key are most folks playing this in? I learned a version years ago out of Am (first position at the beginning), but lots of the stuff I've seen online is quite different.
Old 03-04-2003, 03:10 PM

Default Gasical Class

By the way, Mason Williams has at least two recorded versions. Look for the solo guitar version rather than the one that was the hit with drums and all. Also, California Guitar Trio does a version that smokes ... hold onto your seat for that one!

I know either Total Guitar or Guitar Techniques (English magazines with cds) did a transcription of Mason's classic. I have never seen anything but perfection regarding tabs in those two magazines. They put our American guitar mags to shame in my opinion. Plus, you can hear them play the tune ... many times they sound better than the original! Wish I knew which issue.

I recall seeing Mason play his classic live on the Smother's
Brothers show way back when. I am positive it's played Am with G and Em. One of those tunes that lives on!

One more thing. I have downloaded the 'Clapton' version of Classical Gas many times and it is always the Mason Williams solo version I mentioned above . Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think Clapton ever recorded it. My theory is that someone mislabeled it in the Napster days and it's stuck. Anyone know for sure? Great tune ---- Good luck.

Last edited by Danzo; 03-04-2003 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-04-2003, 03:31 PM

I always questioned whether Clapton really did do this version, and now that you have questioned too, I am betting that he didn't. I imagine that this is just like "Gin and Juice" which online it says that it is by PHISH, but really the recorded version is by String Cheese Incident.

I will definitely look into those magazines. Thank you for the suggestion.

Quote:
What key are most folks playing this in? I learned a version years ago out of Am (first position at the beginning), but lots of the stuff I've seen online is quite different.
I play it in Am. I am pretty sure that is correct.

Thank you for your help,

Devon
Old 03-04-2003, 04:27 PM
Me

Get Tommy Emmanuel's DVD. He does a great Classical Gas.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:30 PM

Clapton did record a version of this.

The tabs at www.OLGA.com are accurate and very helpful. Don't bother with the sheet music, it leaves out about 75% of the notes. I downloaded the sheet music and tried and tried and couldn't understand why what I was playing didn't sound anything like the tune I had in my head. BIG waste of time - the tab is all you need.

The piece is written in (basically) Am, with numerous timing and key changes through-out. It's a fun song to play.
Taylor 314ce-LTD
Alberico OM
Collings OM-2H
Breedlove Phoenix
Santa Cruz 000
Taylor GSRC
Gibson J-185
Breedlove SJ-25-12
Taylor GC5
Collings SJ
Taylor T5 Standard
Guild GAD-4N
Taylor MAH-GS LTD
Guild F-1512 12 String
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Old 03-05-2003, 03:39 AM

Default EC? Nah

I still don't think Eric Clapton ever recorded this tune. Eric did a soundtrack for a 1999 movie 'Story of Us' and included Mason Williams solo version of Classical Gas.

That's the only reference I've ever seen for EC and Classical Gas. Come on, who could improve on Mason's version anyway??? 'Ceptin Mason.
Old 03-05-2003, 11:01 AM

Hi Devon,

I know people must be sick of me bringing up Powertab again and again, but it's really the only useful bit of info I've had to offer so far, so I'm bleeding it to death.

Seriously though, I transcribed Mason Williams solo version of "Classical Gas" note for note using Powertab, and you can find it here. Scroll to the bottom of this page for another transcription of this piece, with the brass section included. Download the PT Editor for free, so you can playback, read and write to files, and enjoy!

1997 914c
Ibanez AG 195
Ibanez Howard Roberts Artist 1976
Edwards E-LP 90 LTS
Van Zandt STV-R2 ('63 strat copy)
VS Strat
Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion III (Ebony/Gold)
Domingo Ortega 1a Rio (Cedar/Braz.)
Aria Sinsonido
Old 03-05-2003, 12:08 PM

Greg,

AWESOME! Thanks for the tip. I have never seen you talk about this before. Is it accurate? The tab looks good so far, though I have yet to check it with the guitar.

Thanks again!

Devon
Old 03-05-2003, 12:55 PM

Did you use the playback button to hear it? The tab I uploaded to the Powertab archive (the solo version) is as accurate as my ear could hear it. If you want, let me know and I'll email the mp3 it's based on. You can also modify the tab to suit your tastes if you like. As far as that other tab goes, I didn't create it, so I can't really comment, but it's obviously different.

I've uploaded some other tabs there (the PT Archive) and I'm working on some more, but I'm reeeeaally slow. I'm hoping that more guitarists here will contribute to the Archive. The database is growing by the minute literally, and there's some really good stuff out there.

Anyway, if you do find some errors, let me know so that I can fix them. I go over these tabs a lot before uploading though.

1997 914c
Ibanez AG 195
Edwards E-LP 90 LTS
VS Strat
Aria Sinsonido
Old 03-05-2003, 01:04 PM

I will check the sound when I get home... no speakers on the system at work (Stupid cheap company!)

I'll let you know... I don't doubt its a great tab. I have seen it before on the internet I think... least it looks very similiar.

Thanks,

Devon
Old 03-05-2003, 03:39 PM

Default Classical Gas

See www.mesander.nl for Classical Gas TAB and sheet music

Last edited by fmesander; 03-05-2003 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:40 PM

That's interesting. Where did that score actually come from?

1997 914c
Ibanez AG 195
Edwards E-LP 90 LTS
VS Strat
Aria Sinsonido
Old 03-06-2003, 01:18 AM

Default Classical Gas

I found it a few years ago on somebody's homepage on Internet by searching with Altavista.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell