The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-05-2016, 06:05 AM

Default A Question For You iPhone 6s Plus Users

I'm going to upgrade soon and I'm kinda going back and forth between the 6s and the 6s Plus. I was just wondering if any of you guys who use the 6s Plus regret not having gone with the 6s? Do you feel that maybe the Plus is just really TOO big and that the 6s would have been the better choice?
Old 05-05-2016, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

I'll come at this question a different way. I have a 6s and my wife has the "Plus." I have no regrets for not getting the Plus version. The 6s fits very nicely in my front pants pocket and the 6s display is plenty big enough for me. The extra size of the Plus isn't worth the additional cargo space for my taste and needs.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

I use a 6 (on TMobile) for my international travel phone, and a 6s+ for my main (AT&T) phone.

The answer to your question is "it depends."

The larger size is great for streaming, displays more information, and has a slightly better camera. It's also more to carry around, and you don't need the extra weight and volume for any of the basic phone functions.

I got it thinking it could replace my iPad Air, and was planning to get the big iPad Pro to replace taking my 13" MacBook Pro laptop on trips. Well I didn't like the size and weight of the iPad Pro, which isn't that much different than the 13" MacBook or the MacBook Airs once you combine it with a keyboard. On my last trip I discovered that I can get by just fine with my iPad and a very thin, lightweight Bluetooth keyboard for my computer needs when traveling.

So now I'm planning to go back to my 6 for my regular phone, and get an iPhone SE for travel. The small size is much more convenient, and what I use most for my work is the camera, email, phone calls, and messaging. The 6s+ will go to my daughter.

You can see all the models at a store, hold them, see how they fit in your hand and pocket, and how the screen size works for your eyes. My recommendation is just go with the one that's big enough to suit your needs.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 05-05-2016, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

I kept my iPad mini and went with the 6 because I wanted one device that would fit in pocket or clutch wallet .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 05-05-2016, 07:53 AM

I have 6S plus and 6.

Even with a very active outdoor lifestyle that wreaks of weight weenie I have more times when I like features of the 6S plus than wish I had the smaller phone.

Observation: Looking at the battery meter when I was at my last day to return or exchange the phone I noticed the larger screen moved up how much time I spend with business and reading apps over the 6.

The optical image stabilization creates times or circumstances where the smaller phone can't touch it for being effective. The Filimic app and 6s plus camera let you make video in a whole other league. Filmic is worth getting regardless.

I use thin cases (Apple's, Incipio Octane) and a semi gloss screen protector to help the love. It fits in pant pockets. The semi gloss screen protector makes it more like a Kindle for reading but not grainy like some anti-glare protectors.

Last week a project created a work all nighter. There was an observation among associates that iPhone 6 plus and 6s plus users had battery power when all the smaller phones and Android phones were plugged in or had spare batteries plugged in.

I still love the smaller size too but the bigger phone is a far better tool for my work, and best accommodates my being a news junkie.

BTW: I'm sure I'd hate it if I had one of those crazy and stupid cases with the overly thick plastic back.

Edit: The bigger phone has cut use and carry for all of laptop, tablet and Kindle.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:24 AM

----------
Old 05-05-2016, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

...i have a 6s and my wife has a 6s plus...i keep mine in my pocket and she carries hers in a purse.....thats the main difference but i do find that when we're both taking photos at the same time indoors the 6s plus results are noticeably superior....and its not just that they're viewed on a larger screen...the plus seems to capture low light photos better....
Old 05-05-2016, 08:42 AM

Love my 6s!
Old 05-05-2016, 09:02 AM
AGF Administrator

I've had both and while I prefer the larger display, larger battery, and OIS for the camera, it's just too big for my pocket and for one-handed use. If the design didn't incorporate such large bezels, it could be a sleeker device.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
I'm going to upgrade soon and I'm kinda going back and forth between the 6s and the 6s Plus. I was just wondering if any of you guys who use the 6s Plus regret not having gone with the 6s? Do you feel that maybe the Plus is just really TOO big and that the 6s would have been the better choice?
Just last week you said you decided to go back to a dumb phone and "kill off" Verizon with their "outrageous smartphone bills".

You went on to say:

"I have a desktop PC at home as well as an iPad and I can darn well wait till I get home to do all the stuff I do on a smartphone outside of the house. So much of it is totally unnecessary for me anyway, more convenience and fun than anything, but man you pay big time for that convenience and fun too. Heck, I can count on one hand the number of people I text or call or get texts from or receive calls from."

What happened all of a sudden?

BTW if you wait a couple more months, the iPhone 7 will be released
Old 05-05-2016, 09:20 AM

On screen size and typing....

Many were anticipating this app release. It's REALLY good for first time out or v 1, but I find I don't use it exclusively. Actually many Microsoft apps have become tremendous on the iPhone and iPad.

I have no gripes with Word Flow as much as I love Swype always having a comma right there. Add that "S" phones with default keyboard get that press and move the cursor feature. The "S" model speed is so good that you can move between keyboards very fast.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/word...077864246?mt=8

Old 05-05-2016, 10:59 AM

I would have liked to have sprung for a 6S+ when I got notice from AT&T that I was eligible for an early upgrade (currently have a 6). But that's when I realized they no longer offer contract pricing. Yikes. No sale...
Old 05-05-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprikitik View Post
Just last week you said you decided to go back to a dumb phone and "kill off" Verizon with their "outrageous smartphone bills".

You went on to say:

"I have a desktop PC at home as well as an iPad and I can darn well wait till I get home to do all the stuff I do on a smartphone outside of the house. So much of it is totally unnecessary for me anyway, more convenience and fun than anything, but man you pay big time for that convenience and fun too. Heck, I can count on one hand the number of people I text or call or get texts from or receive calls from."

What happened all of a sudden?

BTW if you wait a couple more months, the iPhone 7 will be released
Sprikitik, Yup, you are right I was considering dumbing down so I did a little experiment on myself. For three days I used my smartphone only in "dumb mode," just calls & texting. Wanted to see if I could and really wanted to put the smartphone behind me. Well, truth be known, I can't. The least thing I used my smartphone for is calling and texting. I use it for so many other things and I just decided that I guess I'm just not willing to part with all the great features and advantages of a smartphone. After three days of smartphone cold turkey I had had enough. To thine own self be true as they say. Onward and upward to the upgrade! By the way, thanks for all the replies you guys, really helps a lot. Oh yeah, as for as the waiting for the 7 to become available, I'm not one to jump on new technology right off the bat. I figure like everything else, the 7 will have bugs, issues, problems, etc that will all be corrected in the iPhone following the 7.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I'll come at this question a different way. I have a 6s and my wife has the "Plus." I have no regrets for not getting the Plus version. The 6s fits very nicely in my front pants pocket and the 6s display is plenty big enough for me. The extra size of the Plus isn't worth the additional cargo space for my taste and needs.
This is me and my wife exactly--I'm still glad not to have a plus; she's still glad she does have it.

I carry a laptop around most of the time, so I can get a bigger screen if I need it.
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 05-06-2016, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
...i have a 6s and my wife has a 6s plus...i keep mine in my pocket and she carries hers in a purse.....thats the main difference but i do find that when we're both taking photos at the same time indoors the 6s plus results are noticeably superior....and its not just that they're viewed on a larger screen...the plus seems to capture low light photos better....

That's the optical image stabilization I mentioned.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic