The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-09-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
With AT&T, you no longer have the option of getting a subsidized phone with a two year contract, which sounds like what you are on. After 18 months, you are eligible for an upgrade, but dont get as good a deal. You won't be out of contract until the two years are up. At that point the access fee drops to $15. That's why there is no discount yet on the bill.

On the installment plan, you buy and pay for the phone by the month, and get a $25 credit on the access fee. So you pay $15/month instead of $40.00. Back when they had the subsidized option, you paid an upfront fee, and when combined with the $600 ($25 x 24 months), the total cost was more than if you bought the phone outright, or on the installment plan.

As AT&T has discontinued the subsidized plan, it appears that without paying an ETF, you will need to wait until your two year contract is up, and then buy a new phone outright, or on installment from AT&T or Apple.

They probably have it worked out where the current deal available to you, takes into account the residual cost of your subsidized phone.
So once my 2-yr. contract is up, I get a $15 credit each month if I continue to use the same phone, and a $25 credit each month if I upgrade my phone on an installment plan. Is that a correct summary?
Old 05-09-2016, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceMusik View Post
So once my 2-yr. contract is up, I get a $15 credit each month if I continue to use the same phone, and a $25 credit each month if I upgrade my phone on an installment plan. Is that a correct summary?
My understanding is that once out of contract, if you keep the same phone, your monthly access fee goes down to $15. If you buy it outright, or on installment from Apple, I'm not sure if they give you a $25 credit against the $40 fee, or just charge $15, but either way works out the same. You get the $25 credit when you buy the phone on the AT&T installment plan, resulting in the same $15/month charge.

I think they do the $25 credit, so people will buy the phone on installment, and get locked into AT&T until they pay the phone off, or take an early upgrade.

I bought my 6s+ from Apple outright, and can use it on any carrier without needing a contract. At the time, my 6 was still on the installment plan, so I paid the remaining balance, and then was able to unlock it via AT&T's web link. Next TMobile swapped the chip out from my HTC Android phone into the 6, and I was good to go. The 6 is now my international travel phone, because TMobile is the best and cheapest option.

Hope this helps. They are always changing the plans.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 05-09-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
...Hope this helps...
It does. Thanks!
Old 05-09-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
My understanding is that once out of contract, if you keep the same phone, your monthly access fee goes down to $15. If you buy it outright, or on installment from Apple, I'm not sure if they give you a $25 credit against the $40 fee, or just charge $15, but either way works out the same. You get the $25 credit when you buy the phone on the AT&T installment plan, resulting in the same $15/month charge.

I think they do the $25 credit, so people will buy the phone on installment, and get locked into AT&T until they pay the phone off, or take an early upgrade.

I bought my 6s+ from Apple outright, and can use it on any carrier without needing a contract. At the time, my 6 was still on the installment plan, so I paid the remaining balance, and then was able to unlock it via AT&T's web link. Next TMobile swapped the chip out from my HTC Android phone into the 6, and I was good to go. The 6 is now my international travel phone, because TMobile is the best and cheapest option.

Hope this helps. They are always changing the plans.
Lotta good info there sean. Thanks!
Old 05-12-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
...The port you use for charging and backup would have an option for headphone adapter.
As I am sitting here at my job listening to my phone as it stays charged something dawn on me. As I am sure I am not alone on this what would be the solution to allow the phone to be charged while listening to music via headphones and not use wireless?
Old 05-12-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerguy View Post
As I am sitting here at my job listening to my phone as it stays charged something dawn on me. As I am sure I am not alone on this what would be the solution to allow the phone to be charged while listening to music via headphones and not use wireless?
It seems like there's a whole industry or segment of the economy that's dedicated to publishing rumors, speculation, patents, patent applications and spy photos. That stuff shows up in tech and financial publications. What I've read or seen is the same dock concept that works with tablets or laptops. Your headphone and charging source would be plugged into that device also plugged into the phone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic