The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-28-2012, 07:59 AM

Default why does reverb sound so good?

i'm always amazed at how a good sounding, but very dry, recording really comes to life when a touch of reverb is added. add too much, and it doesn't work, and is one of my least favorite sounds. but a little reverb makes a remarkable difference.

i often ponder why that is. it must make our brain think we are in a nice secure cave or church or something.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:40 AM

It fills in some gaps of dead space between notes/chords and gives some false overtones to other notes you are playing as it is still reverberating from the previous note. This is just my opinion.

Bryant
1991 Takamine EF350MC
Fender T-Bucket 400CE
$19 Silvertone Bobby Labonte SNBLA
Old 05-28-2012, 08:51 AM

i think it must also smooth out some pitch issues as well.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

No one really Knows knows knows knows knows knows

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 05-28-2012, 10:01 AM

oh no, the dreaded thread move of death!

i don't think this really belongs in amplification. reverb can be natural, like in the bathroom or church or concert hall, and seems to be present on just about every guitar recording. maybe the record sub-forum would be better, but it seems like a general discussion to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
No one really Knows knows knows knows knows knows
that seems more like delay. but i like it anyway. reverb would have the words all overlapping and intermingled.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
oh no, the dreaded thread move of death!

i don't think this really belongs in amplification. reverb can be natural, like in the bathroom or church or concert hall, and seems to be present on just about every guitar recording. maybe the record sub-forum would be better, but it seems like a general discussion to me.

that seems more like delay. but i like it anyway. reverb would have the words all overlapping and intermingled.
Ya I could't figure how to depict it bouncing back etc.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 05-28-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Ya I could't figure how to depict it bouncing back etc.
how about this:

Old 05-29-2012, 12:00 AM

That's a good graphical representation, mc1.

And the original question is an interesting one, as well, rhetorical or not, since, for instance, compression will also fatten up a signal, but compression alone doesn't convey the same psycho-acoustic magic that a little hall and/or plate reverb does for voice, or that a bit of reverb and a touch of chorus can do for guitar.

This reminds me of the question: Why does toast taste better than a regular slice of bread?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
That's a good graphical representation, mc1.

And the original question is an interesting one, as well, rhetorical or not, since, for instance, compression will also fatten up a signal, but compression alone doesn't convey the same psycho-acoustic magic that a little hall and/or plate reverb does for voice, or that a bit of reverb and a touch of chorus can do for guitar.

This reminds me of the question: Why does toast taste better than a regular slice of bread?
it wasn't really rhetorical, i wouldn't be surprised if someone mentioned a study or some other reasons why it is so appealing.

as for toast, i don't toast fresh bread, but the toaster does have a magical way of improving older or stale bread. but like reverb, too much toasting and you have a bad taste in one of your orifices.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
how about this:

Capital. Watson !

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 05-29-2012, 07:50 AM
Guitar Gourmet

We normally hear sounds in the context of the surroundings in which they exist, be it a room or hall or outdoors. We psychoacoustically filter out any extraneous noise but the reflexions off nearby surfaces actually end up being included by the brain in the assessment of the sound.

When we record sounds, the mics don't pickup sound like we do and thus we don't perceive them in the same way as we would if we were present in the room. As a result of modern recording style and in order to overcome less than desirable environments, we tend to record with mics close to the subject. The result is a dearth of environmental reflection information, and that sounds unnatural to our ears.

There are a couple of ways to supply that information, via acoustic reflection rooms (reverb chambers) or via electronic devices. A reflection room has a speaker or speakers on one side and a mic or mics at the other. It literally supplies an environment for sound. The speakers, mics, and wall treatment an usually be manipulated to optimize the ambiance to taste. Some studios such as Capitol Records' Studios have become popular for their reverb chambers. For the rest of us, there are electronic units.

As a college student I spent hours in a certain dorm stairwell that had wonderful acoustics. It had landings on each floor and a well down the center. When you stood on a landing and played an acoustic, the combination of the hard walls, low ceiling in the landing, and open well lent a strength and then a lovely reverb to your playing. I've long dreamed of returning to that stairwell with a multitrack recording rig and a bunch of mics, running the mics up and down the stairwell, and recording some of my favorite pieces. That would be something special to me.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-30-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
When we record sounds, the mics don't pickup sound like we do and thus we don't perceive them in the same way as we would if we were present in the room. As a result of modern recording style and in order to overcome less than desirable environments, we tend to record with mics close to the subject. The result is a dearth of environmental reflection information, and that sounds unnatural to our ears.
thanks, that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
As a college student I spent hours in a certain dorm stairwell that had wonderful acoustics. It had landings on each floor and a well down the center. When you stood on a landing and played an acoustic, the combination of the hard walls, low ceiling in the landing, and open well lent a strength and then a lovely reverb to your playing. I've long dreamed of returning to that stairwell with a multitrack recording rig and a bunch of mics, running the mics up and down the stairwell, and recording some of my favorite pieces. That would be something special to me.

Bob
that would seem to make for a very complex reverb, compared to a room or concert hall.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:27 PM

Reverb makes me sound way better, i only perform singing into a mic with a touch of reverb. without it my voice just sounds to dry and pitchy.

is using reverb cheating?
Old 10-04-2013, 12:46 PM

yes, it is cheating and the reverb cheat police are coming after you right now! ha!

i find that a touch of reverb is like a glue that brings all of my tracks together as a whole.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-04-2013, 12:54 PM

reverb is natural sounding, and subconsciously places that thing in that space.

A guy playing guitar in a gloomy basement might be playing some nice guitar, but stick him on a mountain top in front of a nice view and it will be a nicer experience. Similar thing I think.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification