The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-29-2016, 09:10 AM

Default Observation From The Gallery - Sales Content

Quick observation. I have sold several guitars this year without trouble or delay. I have also purchased as many great guitars from listings with great photos and even sound-clips. I see posters placing instruments for sale here in the classifieds who never take the time to post any information, photos or specs. on their instruments - and I watch them languish in the classifieds forever.

From a frequent buyer - You should provide the basic information to interest me. I'm not going to your email to request photos - it's a waste of my time and yours.

If you want to interest me (someone with money who purchases guitars) you NEED to post a thoughtful, informative, information and photo inclusive listing. I won't to go your other-site listing for basic information or photos of your listing without some incentive - and that incentive is YOU taking the effort to show me you are interested in selling me a guitar.

Post, at least, a couple of high-quality photos with basic information on THIS SPECIFIC instrument, on THIS site - and then, if you want to, include an actual link to FULL set of photos and all-inclusive build information on the guitar. If you're not willing to "sell" the instrument - I'm not going to buy. Additionally, at least spell the make and model of your guitar properly.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 04-29-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:21 AM

You can't be enticed with a blurry cell phone photo?
Old 04-29-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
You can't be enticed with a blurry cell phone photo?
If it had a great ..... no. Cell phones have superior camera capability today than 5+ year old "good" cameras so cell phone photos should still be well-lit, proper angles, hi-def, tack sharp....

Last edited by DenverSteve; 04-29-2016 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
Quick observation. I have sold several guitars this year without trouble or delay. I have also purchased as many great guitars from listings with great photos and even sound-clips. I see posters placing instruments for sale here in the classifieds who never take the time to post any information, photos or specs. on their instruments - and I watch them languish in the classifieds forever.

From a frequent buyer - You should provide the basic information to interest me. I'm not going to your email to request photos - it's a waste of my time and yours.

If you want to interest me (someone with money who purchases guitars) you NEED to post a thoughtful, informative, information and photo inclusive listing. I won't to go your other-site listing for basic information or photos of your listing without some incentive - and that incentive is YOU taking the effort to show e you are interested in selling me a guitar.

Post, at least, a couple of high-quality photos with basic information on THIS SPECIFIC instrument, on THIS site - and then, if you want to, include an actual link to FULL set of photos and all-inclusive build information on the guitar. If you're not willing to "sell" the instrument - I'm not going to buy. Additionally, at least spell the make and model of your guitar properly.

These are very good comments from my perspective. I feel the same way. I need to be presented with the information so I can access it easily. I am not going to work very hard to pursue an Easter egg hunt. Sellers need to set the bait if they want to improve the odds for selling.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:50 AM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post

If you want to interest me (someone with money who purchases guitars) you NEED to post a thoughtful, informative, information and photo inclusive listing. I won't to go your other-site listing for basic information or photos of your listing without some incentive - and that incentive is YOU taking the effort to show e you are interested in selling me a guitar.

well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
These are very good comments from my perspective. I feel the same way. I need to be presented with the information so I can access it easily. I am not going to work very hard to pursue an Easter egg hunt. Sellers need to set the bait if they want to improve the odds for selling.
Agreed!

I have both sold and purchased from the AGF classifieds and whole heartedly agree with you both. I review the AGF Classifieds on a regular basis. I've concluded some folks either don't want to put in the effort or they don't know how to put together their post for the guitar.

If you have no idea how to post an ad, my suggestion would be review ads which you believe are the best and then use them as a blueprint to develop your own ad. Try to be informative, describe the tone, include the specs, guitar's condition, year built/or serial#, include good quality photo's and if available, include external links or embed video or sound recordings.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:24 AM

I don't mind clicking on an ebay or reverb link, as long as those listings have all the information. If you're not willing to click on that, then how interested can you be. What puts me off is listing a guitar for $3k and describing the condition as "excellent," with no elaboration.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:36 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
well said!

Agreed!

I have both sold and purchased from the AGF classifieds and whole heartedly agree with you both. I review the AGF Classifieds on a regular basis. I've concluded some folks either don't want to put in the effort or they don't know how to put together their post for the guitar.

If you have no idea how to post an ad, my suggestion would be review ads which you believe are the best and then use them as a blueprint to develop your own ad. Try to be informative, describe the tone, include the specs, guitar's condition, year built/or serial#, include good quality photo's and if available, include external links or embed video or sound recordings.
Those killer shots of the Bourgeois SJ are what sold me!
Old 04-29-2016, 11:43 AM

Yep... I agree! It blows my mind that some folks do not get the basics of "sales" or marketing.

I also agree, I don't come to AGF classifieds to click through to another site. Seller should take the few minutes to post the content here too.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:45 AM

If you want me to buy your $6,000 guitar the least you can do is put some photos in the post. "Email me for photos" ain't going to cut it.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD1983 View Post
I don't mind clicking on an ebay or reverb link, as long as those listings have all the information. If you're not willing to click on that, then how interested can you be. What puts me off is listing a guitar for $3k and describing the condition as "excellent," with no elaboration.
There are levels of interest. I am willing to click a Reverb link if it's something that specifically piques my curiosity. If I'm just browsing, maybe not. Pics and description included in the classifieds add may raise my interest enough to garner a sale.

It's not like copying/pasting the info or picture links is much more difficult than copying/pasting a reverb link.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:31 PM

I'd complain about having to go to Reverb, but somehow it didn't stop me from buying.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:37 PM

Default "For Sale" ads

One other minor suggestion.

Put your location in your signature. "Between here and oblivion" is cute, but some of us only buy guitars we can lay hands on and want to know if you're within a couple of hours drive time.

Yes, I can ask, and often do, but sometimes I just pass right by.

Just a suggestion.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post
One other minor suggestion.

Put your location in your signature. "Between here and oblivion" is cute, but some of us only buy guitars we can lay hands on and want to know if you're within a couple of hours drive time.

Yes, I can ask, and often do, but sometimes I just pass right by.

Just a suggestion.
I agree. I rarely pursue a guitar if the seller doesn't make his location known.

On the other hand, I don't mind to click through to another site the view pictures. I think that if a buyer isn't willing to click once more to look at pictures, then they probably are not a buyer that I would want to do business with anyways.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Wow...I suppose I should bring it over and play soothing tones outside your window?
JK....these are all true in my opinion. The seller should sell.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:33 PM

Petros, Paragon, National, Martin, Rainsong, and Santa Cruz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion