The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-24-2011, 09:22 AM

How much does sps-1, new, in Euro
Old 11-24-2011, 09:32 AM

to say my opinion on something,, they all say that the solstice is good, me personally I do not like the eq solstice ,I like the equinox best.

Last edited by ntik; 11-24-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntik View Post
How much does sps-1, new, in Euro
At today's exchange rates, about € 1,500. Shipping is additional.

Pendulum Price List
Old 11-24-2011, 01:46 PM

There was an sps-1 on ebay recently and the bidding started at 1K and I was the only bidder. I've been using a solstice and the Baggs para-di for several years and was impressed with the difference between those and the pendulum.

Relative to the comments about expense, its been my finding that its cheaper, actually, to buy quality used components and maybe sell them later for the same price or close to it, rather than buying lesser quality and finding later that nobody wants it and you can't get a good price, like Behringer gear. It may work fine for some gigs, but the resale potential is quite low.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blood View Post
Relative to the comments about expense, its been my finding that its cheaper, actually, to buy quality used components and maybe sell them later for the same price or close to it, rather than buying lesser quality and finding later that nobody wants it and you can't get a good price, like Behringer gear. It may work fine for some gigs, but the resale potential is quite low.
this is so true. You spend so much money buying and selling gear over the years and you end up loosing a lot. If you buy a used sps-1, you can sell it a few years later and sell it for what you have in it

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 11-25-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blood View Post
...its been my finding that its cheaper, actually, to buy quality used components and maybe sell them later for the same price or close to it, rather than buying lesser quality and finding later that nobody wants it and you can't get a good price, like Behringer gear.
Spot on Blood. As a beginner in amplification, I am even taking it a step further... I actually WANT to use the cheaper gear initially so that as I move up my ears really understand the subtle differences in quality... it takes time and lots of careful listening to learn these things. I am buying cheap gear used (typically about 70-80% off list), and I will get every penny back when I resell to purchase better gear. Thus I am starting dirt cheap, moving up with a plan, and I am getting an education at the same time. When I invest in quality gear it will be a well educated investment.

There is a risk, of course, in buying used... so far I have been fortunate. (bought and sold LOTS of guitars to learn the different sounds and feels... bought them all used, and I have never lost a penny even taking shipping into consideration).

Last edited by billder99; 11-25-2011 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 11-25-2011, 06:18 AM

However Solstice and the subject blender, doing a great job, and in cooperation with the equinox, is believed to be a good option
Old 11-26-2011, 12:32 PM

I have used the pendulum, the PAMDI and the padi (could be a song in there somewhere) and some other digital processors as well. The Pendulum is far and away the best i have heard (the PAMDI though is pretty darn good)
Because i have the PAMDI on my pedalboard and have decided to stick with the pedalboard, i am probably and somewhat regrettably going to sell the Pendulum.

www.roberttemplemusic.com
www.youtube.com/brokenpretzel
Old 11-26-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpretzel View Post
I have used the pendulum, the PAMDI and the padi (could be a song in there somewhere) and some other digital processors as well. The Pendulum is far and away the best i have heard (the PAMDI though is pretty darn good)
Because i have the PAMDI on my pedalboard and have decided to stick with the pedalboard, i am probably and somewhat regrettably going to sell the Pendulum.

Any a/b recordings you could post?
Old 11-27-2011, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

I currently have two pendulum sps-1 units. I have to sell one to help fund another guitar!

Old 11-27-2011, 09:33 AM

since it is so good the sps-1, why the give?
Old 11-27-2011, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntik View Post
since it is so good the sps-1, why, you give?
are you asking if its so good, why sell?

because I had 3 of them playing around blending 4-7 sources and just don't need all of that! I thought 2 of them would still be fun blending 3-5 sources and leaving a channel open for vocals. fow I am happy with one sps-1 to blend 2-3 sources. but I'm sure I'll pick up another (ALWAYS keeping one), but have to fund this new guitar coming

The cool thing is, if you have two sps-1s, you can have greg at pendulum wire them together so you can still have all the inputs and have only 2 outs.

Last edited by ericcsong; 11-27-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:57 AM

and i'm selling mine because i have decided to keep everything on my pedalboard. I am also a 7 string player playing more or less bass and guitar in a rockier style. I still think the Pendulum is the best acoustic guitar preamp there is but the PAMDI (no longer made) does a good job and fits on my pedalboard
Old 11-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Default another Pendulum

Can anyone compare the Pendulum HZ-10 SE Preamp to the SPS-1. I know it's an older unit, but I've seen them used for $4-500. Worth it?

thanks
Old 11-27-2011, 07:53 PM

Today for fun I recorded my Lowden O25 w/ K&K into 3 different preamps, all running into my "live" PA, then out to a digi 003 to Pro Tools. This was by no means scientific (kinda why I didn't post the recordings) but it was interesting to ponder. I used the preamp of the Yamaha EMX 512, a PARA DI, and a Presonus ADL 600. I thought that would span cheap to expensive so to speak. I recorded the 3 with and without EQ. Without EQ the EMX was bright, and the PARA DI and ADL were a touch bass/mid heavy. Doing my best to EQ for optimal sound, the EMX was ok, the PARA and ADL came out sounding better to me but similar. Point....big price difference on the PARA and the ADL for similar sound. I'd love to post some recordings if someone could give me a scientific method to use. I'd also like some sps-1 users to post a gig/home recording or something to get a taste of the sps-1. Love to hear the Highlander folks are talking about as well.

Cheers

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification