The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-19-2014, 11:41 AM

Default How much is a used / clean Rainsong WS1000N2-T worth?

Not buying the old one with the N1 neck. Neck angle is underset and action can't get where I want it. See below..

SOOOOOOOOO.....

How much is a newer WS1000N2 T worth used? Any differences other than the N2 neck with truss rod and paint? No issues on the newer one. N2 neck. Burst finish. Pretty much like new. I liked the price on the older one, but the newer one may be a bit more than I'm willing to pay.... Hard to gauge value on the used ones and hoping for some direction here.

Action on the N1 (but have to allow for parallax):

Last edited by DavidE; 08-19-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:36 PM

That action seems way high? Maybe its just the picture angle? What is the measurement above the 12th to the bottom of the low E? S/B around 6/64.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 08-19-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
That action seems way high? Maybe its just the picture angle? What is the measurement above the 12th to the bottom of the low E? S/B around 6/64.
You are correct, the action on the low strings was high. The action on the high e was good, but the saddle was taken down as far as it could go. I wasn't sure taking the saddle down on the bass side would be enough to get the action as low as I think it should be. I took it to my luthier and I was right. It could come down, but not enough for us. He checked the neck set and said it was a little underset and there's nothing that can be done about it on these. So, I'm not buying the guitar.

Bummer, but glad I trusted my instincts.

The newer one had lower action with lots of saddle showing, so I know that one is fine, but I'm not sure what a reasonable price would be or whether I'm willing to pay it. Nobody has commented on how much more the new one would be worth over the old.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:08 PM

If there truly is a neck angle issue that doesn't allow a proper setup, I'm certain Rainsong will take care of that for you one way or the other.

Through a friend who is the bandmate (full-time professional musicians) of a guy who had a very early Rainsong with neck problems, I advised his friend to contact Rainsong regarding the problem. My friend passed on the advice and in that case, the problem was caused by a heat sensitive epoxy which Rainsong long, long ago changed.

I didn't hear the exact details but my friend told me that Rainsong either repaired or replaced the guitar for free and the band leader was very happy as he had thought there would be no service at all because the guitar was old.

The point is, if there is an issue, Rainsong seems to stand very, very strongly behind their products. They have the highest of reputations and will certainly respond to a real neck issue.

If you contact them, let us know how it goes.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:54 PM
Charter Member

Hey Davide

Not sure what a new used one would go for but I find that if you haggle a little you can take off about 20% off of what the guitar is listed for new (out the door and eat the tax). With burst that guitar is around 2 grand. So you do the math. Used i would offer no more the $1400 but offer $1300'. Otherwise save a little more and get it New with warrenty

I got that deal at my local GC dealer, but I had cash in. Not every dealer would except that offer. Much depends on how long the guitar has been in stock. With the holiday weekend coming up they should have their 15% deals in effect.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 08-20-2014, 06:13 AM

AC: the guitar is used. There is no warranty in effect. No way I'd buy it hoping that Rainsong would take care of it.

MBrody: I'm seeing the WS1000N2T for around $2450 new. Where are you seeing it for $2k? Example: http://macnichol.com/product/rainson...-tobacco-burst
I see MF has them about $100 less.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
AC: the guitar is used. There is no warranty in effect. No way I'd buy it hoping that Rainsong would take care of it.
Hmmm. If the guitar is defective, I would think Rainsong would take care of it regardless of original owner as they would have been the source of the problem--maybe years ago--who knows. It's carbon fiber and very unlikely that an owner was the cause of the problem.

Your description of the setup indicated the guitar itself was defective, as I read it. But I forgot if you mentioned if it was using light or medium strings also. Rainsong is designed for light.

Maybe they won't want to deal with the issue but my understanding from my experience and the experience of others who have dealt with Rainsong is that if a problem with a guitar is due to something happening during the manufacturing of the guitar or the material selection--they will make it right no matter.

Maybe Rainsong will read this or one of the forum dealers and will comment on why a defectively built guitar would not be repaired--IF the problem is, in fact, due to the manufacturer. I would think it would not be a question--but I'll wait to hear more.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:59 AM

But why would I spend over a grand to deal with this and HOPE that Rainsong would do something g about it when they have no obligation to do so? The seller is likewise not the original owner.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:28 PM

Simple -- let go of the angst and just don't buy this one. You are not on the hook - yet. There are plenty of fish in the sea, etc, etc.

With CF guitars they are good initially, and they stay good forever. But if they are not right initially they can be difficult or even impossible to fix. I don't worry about the non-truss rod neck on my WS-1000, which has been super stable for 10-12 years now. But I am the original owner and it is registered with Rainsong, so they will cover it if something ever develops (unlikely). I can't say what they would do for a third or fourth owner.........

Last edited by Earl49; 08-20-2014 at 04:48 PM. Reason: tpyos
Old 08-20-2014, 06:12 PM

Exactly Earl! No angst here. Just can't understand AC's suggestions.

But still interested in the WS1000NT2 the guy was selling but can't seems to get a read on what a used one is worth.

Got to try his parlor today. Very cool! But with it sitting on my leg, my right arm and shoulder position were very uncomfortable. Not for me.

Also got to try his Blackbird Nylon. Very cool and unusual. A little too different for me to get something like that as my first cf.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

MBrody: I'm seeing the WS1000N2T for around $2450 new. Where are you seeing it for $2k? Example: http://macnichol.com/product/rainson...-tobacco-burst
I see MF has them about $100 less.
Hey DavidE:

Wrong guitar - Sorry about that. I was refereeing to the H-WS1000NT2. For some reason they sell for less. This is the Hybrid.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 08-21-2014, 07:09 AM

Really surprised nobody can tell me the value of a used WS1000N2T
Old 08-21-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Really surprised nobody can tell me the value of a used WS1000N2T
I don't much about this particular guitar. I almost bought a Rainsong a few months ago that is similar in new sale price, but then decided not to for some reason (lack of funds). It was a CO-WS1000N2 and ultimately sold for $1,400 including shipping. I believe this is similar to the one you wanted. I also am pretty sure that this particular guitar was sold way below the median Rainsong resale price. I believe it was a 2013 model. Hope that helps. It's about all I can answer about Rainsong used pricing.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
I don't much about this particular guitar. I almost bought a Rainsong a few months ago that is similar in new sale price, but then decided not to for some reason (lack of funds). It was a CO-WS1000N2 and ultimately sold for $1,400 including shipping. I believe this is similar to the one you wanted. I also am pretty sure that this particular guitar was sold way below the median Rainsong resale price. I believe it was a 2013 model. Hope that helps. It's about all I can answer about Rainsong used pricing.
Actually, the CO version lists for $200 more. I could see paying $1350 for a local cash sale on the WS1000N2T (essentially what you sold your CO for minus shipping and perhaps you took a hit on paypal fees as well). However, the seller's best price is a few hundred above that and I can't blame him. I'll continue looking and maybe someday I'll find the right cf guitar at the right price for me. Until then, plenty of wood and steel to keep me playing.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:55 AM

Another factor that caused me to balk is that I liked the Blackbird sound better. Once I got past the lack of truss rod worry and saved some money I expanded my horizons in what I would consider.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber