The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-29-2014, 05:19 PM

Default Armrest on CF?

There are essentially 3 reasons for an armrest (something like the John Pearse type):
  • Tone... get the playing arm off the top which tends to deaden the sound
  • Comfort... add a softer curve to rest the forearm on (vs the usual fairly sharp edge of the guitar)
  • Protect the finish from body oils and long-term rubbing off of finish

I see Tone and Comfort as good enough reasons to try one on my Rainsong WS-1000. Has anyone tried one on a CF guitar?

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 08-30-2014, 10:19 AM

A carbon fiber armrest would be nice!
Old 08-30-2014, 01:31 PM

You mean an armrest like this?

All CF guitars made by German (I think) luthiers Leviora Gutiars- I like the fan fret action

Old 08-30-2014, 02:39 PM

Default Armrest

I recently added a spare John Pearse armrest to my Rainsong dread and can't think why I didn't do it years ago! It's great for all the reasons the OP wrote.

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart Guitar" SJ
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar RW, Italian/Carpathian top; exquisite!
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl "the Growler"
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
Journey travel guitar in Nashville high tuning

"The music lives in the musician; not the instrument."
Old 09-04-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
You mean an armrest like this?

All CF guitars made by German (I think) luthiers Leviora Gutiars- I like the fan fret action

I'm guessing the OP is referring to an after market armrest as the built in armrests available from Levoria, Journey, or Taylor will not affect tone, nor will they protect the finish. As for the after market units like the one from John Pearse, these will add bulk instead of taking some of it away so they are not for everyone, but it would be great to see them available in a carbon fiber version for all the CF guitars out there
Old 09-04-2014, 12:13 PM

Emerald Guitars also has built in armrests/bevels on at least two or more of their models.

The purpose. however, is not so much unhindered sound reproduction and finish protection as it is for ergonomics and protection of the players arm.

I've had an Emerald with and without the bevel and greatly prefer the comfort with the bevel built in.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:49 PM

Shouldn't it be easier to install the beveled arm rest on a CF guitar than a regular guitar? Love beveled edges.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:22 PM

Yeah. I realize that now Ted and agree that the OP is asking about an aftermarket device. It was still fun to post up the Leviora vid.

52y,yes. It should be "easier" as you mention since everything cf is molded. However, it has been my understanding that creating the molds for cf guitars is extremely pricey. It is amazing what Emerald is able to turn out as young as they are. Even RainSong which has been in the manufacturing of such instruments for 20 years now it is the one thing that is been a greater obstacle (simply creating new features). Blackbird is making some innovative stuff too. Most of the time ease loses out to expense.

Just keep posting your thoughts. One of my favorite guitars was born of hard-working and smart business people who listened to the voice of the people.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:59 AM

i put a john pearse armrest on my ca cargo. much more comfortable. also, because the cargo is so small, the added depth is also appreciated.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:26 AM

So how would the armrest be installed? I read on jp that they have an adhesive tape, doesn't sound too sturdy...
Old 09-06-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
52y,yes. It should be "easier" as you mention since everything cf is molded. However, it has been my understanding that creating the molds for cf guitars is extremely pricey. It is amazing what Emerald is able to turn out as young as they are. Even RainSong which has been in the manufacturing of such instruments for 20 years now it is the one thing that is been a greater obstacle (simply creating new features). Blackbird is making some innovative stuff too. Most of the time ease loses out to expense.
Makes sense. My taste for one offs has typically made carbon fiber a little cost prohibitive.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
So how would the armrest be installed? I read on jp that they have an adhesive tape, doesn't sound too sturdy...
it's sturdier than it sounds. mine's been on for years.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

I would certainly be interested in a CF one sized to fit my Shorty. My tender little forearm would appreciate it!

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber