The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-04-2014, 08:25 PM

Thank you for the well wishes. I've had some complications, so it's taking linger than expected.

Thank you for all of your input! That's super helpful! I still hope I can try one somewhere. I may call up some places in Nashville, as I will be at vandy for my checkup. Hopefully one enters Gruhns or Cotton music haha.

I'm worried about the neck a bit as I have average hands and I use my thumb to wrap quite a bit as I can't play a bunch of my usual songs without the thumb wrap.

I also like the k&k pure mini. I'm really glad to here you are happy with it! That's good to know. I'm not huge on caring about the amplified sound of my guitar as most people in the audience won't ever notice the difference. I've just never been happy with barn door electronics. They just don't agree with my aesthetic.

Thank you again for all of your help!
Old 09-04-2014, 08:30 PM

I thumb-wrap too, no problem with the Emerald.

I don't know if the necks on Rainsongs have changed, but around 10 or 12 years ago, I came close to buying a Rainsong 12-string, but bailed because the edge of the fretboard seemed too sharp to me, and I wasn't comfortable with the thumb-wrap.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:45 PM

Yeah, I kind of like rainsongs but at the same time I don't. Like you said, the ones I've played had that sharp fretboard that was uncomfortable when thumb wrapping. I'm glad to hear you can thumb wrap on the emerald. I still have quite some time before I can purchase a guitar, so hopefully at some point I will be able to test one out. If not I may just talk with Alistair more to get his help.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D View Post
Yeah, I kind of like rainsongs but at the same time I don't. Like you said, the ones I've played had that sharp fretboard that was uncomfortable when thumb wrapping. I'm glad to hear you can thumb wrap on the emerald. I still have quite some time before I can purchase a guitar, so hopefully at some point I will be able to test one out. If not I may just talk with Alistair more to get his help.
I have the same issue with Rainsongs thicker profile, not thumb friendly. Emerald is not an issue here.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 09-07-2014, 02:48 PM

Thank you Doubleneck for the reassurance!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber