The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-04-2008, 06:37 PM

Default Is it ok to prefer a cheap Larrivee than hi end Martins? Newbie

Hi,
I'm an electric guitar player looking for a definitive acoustic guitar to buy.
I'm taking my time, trying as many guitars as I can, asking questions in different stores, playing guitar without looking at the price tag.
I have a good experience with electrics, and just six months ago I found "The One" (after many, many guitars), and I've sold everything else in order to get another keeper, but it has to be an acoustic.
After 3 or months of tests it's time to take a direction.
No dreadnought, but 000 or OM sized.
I like the rosewood / spruce combination, I've enjoyed some nice guitars made with other wood (Martin 000-15 comes to mind), but rosewood and spruce it has to be the choice.
14 frets
No Taylor and no Gibsons.
I'll play it at home, just for my pleasure, Ben Harper style

Martin 000 or OM? I'm enjoying the OMs much more than the others, it's a matter of sweetness, volume, and simply that's what I feel.
There is only guitar that I totally fall in love with, it was a Collings, but I can't even think at that price range.
Then... Larrivee. I didn't know them, but it was such a great surprise to find these guitars, the price/quality ratio is absolutely unbeliavable, and the OM-03R (not the sapele model) plays just wonderful to my ears.
I've continued to try this model in every store I've been, trying to compare something else to its pleasant sound.
Last time I tried the OM-9 too, but I continue to like more the cheaper model, and last time was the time to narrow my choices and so I did.
OM Martins and Larrivée OM-03R.
I tried the OM-21 and the 28V, unfortunately I didn't like the V neck, but it had an organic and refined sound. The 21 was much louder, direct, with a stronger attack and not so much complexity, but I loved the dynamic I was able to express with it.

But you know what? I still prefer the Larrivée.
I'm not an expert in acoustic guitars as for electrics, I'm worrying if my ears are still not ready to understand the subtle differences between guitars. The larrivée is not so complex sounding as the 28, but I like its warmer feel, the bass are not so deep but they are round.
Do you think it's time for me to play more of them in order to get the differences I MUST hear between a cheap Larrivée and an expensive Martin?

My only problem is that I want to buy the definitive guitar, I know myself, if I buy the Larrivée I'll continue to look at Martin catalogue.

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:40 PM

Get what sounds and feels good to you.

One thing that I would like to add though.
This won't be your last acoustic guitar purchase!
Old 12-04-2008, 06:55 PM

Of course you're entilted to prefer whatever you like - and if it'll save you some money, so much the better....sure your tastes may change down the line, but I don't think there's any way to predict in which direction.

One thing I'd make sure to do is have a friend or the salesperson play the guitars you're interested in for you so you can concentrate on how they sound without having to do the playing.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:00 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewave View Post
My only problem is that I want to buy the definitive guitar....
If it helps, there is no such thing
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 12-04-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walternewton View Post
Of course you're entilted to prefer whatever you like - and if it'll save you some money, so much the better....sure your tastes may change down the line, but I don't think there's any way to predict in which direction.

One thing I'd make sure to do is have a friend or the salesperson play the guitars you're interested in for you so you can concentrate on how they sound without having to do the playing.
this is spot on..........couldn't have said it better...................
Old 12-04-2008, 07:12 PM

No, it's not okay.

.....................?
Old 12-04-2008, 07:14 PM

Also keep in mind the Larivee isn't exactly "cheap", it's not like it's a $200 beginner guitar or anything...and it has a matte finish, plain cosmetics etc. which keep the price down.

Also being made in Canada may be a factor in the price vs. US made Martins - other Candian guitars, often made with Canadian woods (Godin brands like Seagull, Art & Lutherie, Simon & Patrick etc) are considered great values too.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:34 PM
happiness

Welcome to the forum

There are no rules to say you have to prefer one kind of guitar to another, or that a guitar that costs more will automatically sound better to your ears. There are so many guitars to choose from, there's no reason not to choose the one that you personally like best, within the constraints of your budget.

I agree with the suggestion to take a friend along with you so you can hear the guitar from the front. I also agree that it's unlikely that whatever guitar you buy now will be your last acoustic, so just relax and enjoy the journey.

Fliss
Old 12-04-2008, 07:42 PM

your paying for pure sound and quality....no bling...
make sure your not thinking "cheap price/sound quality" go hand in hand esp with this model...and dont let the martin "nostalgia" sway you to get a guitar doesnt sound as good to you.

i say your on the right track by going with YOUR ear
Old 12-04-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlott00 View Post
your paying for pure sound and quality....no bling...
make sure your not thinking "cheap price/sound quality" go hand in hand esp with this model...and dont let the martin "nostalgia" sway you to get a guitar doesnt sound as good to you.

i say your on the right track by going with YOUR ear

Plus 1. I've found some guitars that completely defy the laws of price and have mentioned them several times.....
Old 12-04-2008, 08:06 PM

Please dont forget one important thing ! its all about the music- not how much you spend on the guitar-
Old 12-04-2008, 08:06 PM

IMHO price or the name on the headstock is not the deal.
I own a Taylor. I know you said no Taylors and no Gibsons. When I bought my Taylor, I played every Taylor in the store, from the lowly 310s to the upper priced ones. I kept coming back to a 310ce. It is the one that played and sounded the best to my ears and hands. It went home with me. Saved several thousand dollars. I have it still.
I may also suggest an Epiphone Masterbilt EF500 to you. It comes in Rosewood sides and back with spruce top. I have one and love it.
The end result will be that you will buy the one that sings to you. It does not matter the price or the name.
Happy Hunting!
Pete
Old 12-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
Get what sounds and feels good to you.

One thing that I would like to add though.
This won't be your last acoustic guitar purchase!
+1 on that. I have a Larrivee OM-5 and its really comfortable to play.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-04-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66strummer View Post
Plus 1. I've found some guitars that completely defy the laws of price and have mentioned them several times.....
what do you think of Stanfords though!?
Old 12-04-2008, 08:25 PM

Welcome to the forum. Try a Goodall...they're awesome!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion