The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-28-2014, 11:53 AM

Default Need to scale my setup

I'm looking for opinions on how to scale my recording setup.
I started messing around with home recording a few years ago and it's been a journey already.

Currently my setup includes a few budget condensers/dynamic mics for vocals.

I record acoustic guitar with a stereo pair of Beyer MC930's which I love very much.

All of these mics go straight into my my scarlet 2i2 audio interface with no external pre-amps.

I recently started wanting to record vocals and guitar in one take for singer songwriter type songs and I wanted to use a dynamic mic (to minimize bleed) for vocals and xy my mc930's which would be 3 inputs.

Now I could just go an buy a scarlet 8i8 interface and do the following but I'm wondering what would be my pontential next steps if I wanted step up my setup. I know my interface is the weakest link right now.

No sure what my options would be. I'm open to low, mid and high end options. Although I'm definitely budget conscious, just curious as to what the high low would be for my needs.

Cheers.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

I would love to hear those Beyer's sometime. I have been wanting to try them for fingerstyle guitar.

It sounds like you want an interface with more inputs. Are you on a Mac or PC? Apogee has the 4 input Quartet. I think their gear is generally highly regarded. RME's interfaces are supposed to be good too, though I think to get four inputs with preamps it is not cheap. MOTU makes a wide range of interfaces, it looks like they have the 4Pre which as 4 preamps.

One thing to think about if you are on Mac is that firewire is being phased out for Thunderbolt.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verstft View Post
I'm looking for opinions on how to scale my recording setup.
I started messing around with home recording a few years ago and it's been a journey already.

Currently my setup includes a few budget condensers/dynamic mics for vocals.

I record acoustic guitar with a stereo pair of Beyer MC930's which I love very much.

All of these mics go straight into my my scarlet 2i2 audio interface with no external pre-amps.

I recently started wanting to record vocals and guitar in one take for singer songwriter type songs and I wanted to use a dynamic mic (to minimize bleed) for vocals and xy my mc930's which would be 3 inputs.

Now I could just go an buy a scarlet 8i8 interface and do the following but I'm wondering what would be my pontential next steps if I wanted step up my setup. I know my interface is the weakest link right now.

No sure what my options would be. I'm open to low, mid and high end options. Although I'm definitely budget conscious, just curious as to what the high low would be for my needs.

Cheers.
As to all-in-one interfaces, I would agree with Anton, look at the Apogee Quartet and some of the RME units. An example above those is Metric Halo.

You could roll your own too.

You may want to experiment with one vocal mic and one guitar mic (instead of two guitar mice) to see if that will work for you. Many who record guitar and vocal at the same time do it this way and get excellent results.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:52 AM

I've been using the RME ADI-8 DS and going optically from there to a Digidesign 003R for some time now and really like the sound from my mics and preamps.

I have a new RME piece for review at the moment. Stay tuned for details.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 01-05-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
I would love to hear those Beyer's sometime. for Thunderbolt.
I will try to post something soon. My friend is lending me his duet2.

Quote:
You may want to experiment with one vocal mic and one guitar mic (instead of two guitar mice) to see if that will work for you.
I need to experiment with different recording techniques before committing to new gear I hear a lot of people use figure 8 mics and position the guitar mic so the vocals are in the deadspot on the side of the mic.

Quote:
It sounds like you want an interface with more inputs.
I think so? If there was a way for me to run both my Beyers into one channel without losing independent gain control I could run that into one channel I guess?

Also, is there any love here for the Universal Audio Appollo Twin duo?
How do those pre-amps compare with Apogee or RME? The low latency plugin capability is really tempting.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD