The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-15-2014, 03:47 PM

Default Recording advice

Hey everyone, I'm looking to start recording and could use some advice from those more experienced. So far I've decided on the Blue Yeti for a mic and the Focusrite Scarlett for a USB interface. I plan on using either the software included with the Focusrite, or open source Pro Tools. Since I'm using an audio interface my understanding is the soundcard in my laptop won't matter much. The thing is, I need a new laptop anyways. Is there anything I should be looking for in a laptop that will significantly affect the quality of recording? Anything else I may be missing? Any input would be appreciated.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:32 PM

What's "open source Pro Tools"?
Old 12-15-2014, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Taking a quick look at the Blue Yeti it appears to be a USB microphone. So you dont really need the Focusrite Interface. The Yeti plugs straight into your computer via USB.

What about getting a non usb mic like the Audio Technica 2020 and using the Focusrite Interface? That might be more flexible in the long run since you can use the mic with other pieces of gear. Plus if your Focusrite has two mic inputs you could get a second mic and do stereo recording.

I dont know much about Pro Tools. I would say look at its memory requirements and make sure your new laptop has plenty to spare.

Anton
Old 12-15-2014, 05:59 PM

I guess I don't have a solid enough understanding of this. If I were to use a USB mic like the Yeti wouldn't I still want an audio interface so I don't have to rely on my computers soundcard? How do USB mics work in that way?

And thank you for the input so far.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Doesn't that mike come with recording software?

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-15-2014, 06:25 PM

I believe so. After doing a little more research it sounds like an audio interface is built into the mic. If I do go this route that will certainly save me some $$. I've heard the Yeti is very good for recording acoustics, but if anyone thinks a different, non USB, setup would make more sense please let me know. Keep in mind I will only be recording one instrument at a time, without vocals. I know a two mic setup can be advantageous, but if heard plenty of quality recordings using just one. I think I'd also prefer the simplicity of using just one.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:22 PM

quite a bit more flexibility and bang for your buck with the focusrite setup. i've seen packages where you can get the scarlet 2i2 with a mic, fairly inexpensively.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 12-15-2014, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMN View Post
I believe so. After doing a little more research it sounds like an audio interface is built into the mic. If I do go this route that will certainly save me some $$. I've heard the Yeti is very good for recording acoustics, but if anyone thinks a different, non USB, setup would make more sense please let me know. Keep in mind I will only be recording one instrument at a time, without vocals. I know a two mic setup can be advantageous, but if heard plenty of quality recordings using just one. I think I'd also prefer the simplicity of using just one.
The front end analog to digital portion of an interface is in the Yeti mic. The back end digital to analog (i.e., monitoring chain) portion of an interface is not.

If you are absolutely clear that you never want to use more than one mic at a time, then a Yeti will do that. How do you plan on listening to what you record?
Old 12-15-2014, 08:15 PM

While I'm recording? A headphone jack is included.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

deleted...

Last edited by sdelsolray; 12-15-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

If your budget can swing the focusrite plus a mic like the 2020 I would do that. True the Yeti has headphone out. But what if you want to monitor thru speakers later down the line? If later you want to get different mics the Focusrite will allow that. With the Yeti you are kind of stuck with what you get.

They are convenient items for podcasting, but for home recording of an instrument I would recommend the mic + interface route.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

I'd suggest getting an interface, like one of the Scarlett models, and a non-usb microphone. You could use Audacity (free) or Reaper ($60) for your DAW. There are several threads in this Record section that discuss various low cost microphones. If this is within your budget, it will give your more flexibility in recording and playback, and the possibility to change/add microphones in the future. Of course, if this isn't within your budget then a single USB microphone can still do a lot for you now.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 12-16-2014, 10:11 AM

I'm glad you started askign questions before buying (too many people do the opposite!)
I'd suggest you red though this informative thread on the homerecording.com forums.

Then I'd recommend (like others here), getting the Focusrite and a mic (there are a number of choices in the $100-$150 range) - but not a USB mic, which will forever limit you in using only it for recording.
"open source Pro Tools" sounds like bootleg (cracked) software, you won't get anyone recommending that.
Reaper DAW software - free to download full uncrippled version, $60 to register if you decide to keep it.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-16-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMN View Post
While I'm recording? A headphone jack is included.
If you're getting a Scarlett it already has a headphone jack, you don't need one on the mic.
What you're proposing in your original post is using two USB devices for audio simultaneously. Not generally a good idea.

If you're using the USB mic to record then you don't need the interface. If you're using the Focusrite to monitor playback you don't need the usb mic converters.

You should definitely do more reading to understand exactly what you want to do and how to accomplish that before throwing down any greenbacks.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
The front end analog to digital portion of an interface is in the Yeti mic. The back end digital to analog (i.e., monitoring chain) portion of an interface is not.

If you are absolutely clear that you never want to use more than one mic at a time, then a Yeti will do that. How do you plan on listening to what you record?
Correction: The Yeti mic has a back end monitoring circuit which allows listening to the playback of a prerecorded track.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD