The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-15-2014, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Default Room Treatment, local sources for insulation

There are lots of threads/posts about DIY room treatment. There are also several on-line sources for insulation (i.e. Owens Corning OC703 & OC705, Roxul Rockboard 60 and Rockboard 80), however pricing and expecially shipping can get to be substantial.

These sound absorbing insulations are not readily available at places like Home Depot, Lowes, etc. I ended up doing quite a bit of searching locally (Twin Cities, Mn) and I found a source for the Roxul Rockboard 80 that I wanted to use. Pricing was very attractive (<$1 / square foot for 2" thickness) and shipping charges to get it delivered to the local supplier were minimal. I ordered my Roxul Rockboard 80 from Lamperts building supply in Rockford, Mn. After I had ordered it, I read that it may also be available from Tri-Star Insulation, 6095 East River Road, Fridley MN 763-502-9977.

Also, I thought I'd supply a link where I saw some sourcing information. This thread has sources for various localities where DIYers found the materials.

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthr...pics/1653963/1

It might also be helpful if AGFers would share where they got their materials.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 12-15-2014, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Default Deleted Post

Deleted Post

Last edited by alohachris; 12-23-2014 at 01:40 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

I find the professionally done panels (ATS for example) can have a good price yet look great - and they come with the right hardware to mount on the walls. It makes do it yourself efforts not worth it IMO - especially if you have thousands of dollars in guitar's and recording equipment. If you are really broke, well yes, perhaps all the running around, the time, and the effort could be your only choice.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-15-2014, 02:44 PM

Most of the places that deal with rockwool only want to order what you are buying, and have minimum (case) requirements from the manufacturers.
Rather than spending my extra money/time trying to find an area one that would not require minimums, I bought direct from ATS:
http://www.atsacoustics.com/
For sure if you have th eextra money, just buy the complete panels from them. For me, it meant making 6 panels for my initial investment rather than buying 4.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD