The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-28-2017, 05:32 PM

Default My GOAL for 2018

Hello,

I'm not much of a New Year's resolution type guy, but I do like to set goals. As a drummer for over 50 years I set a goal 2 years ago of learning another instrument and after much consternation chose the guitar. It has been a great journey since then and while being interrupted by a couple of health events I'm at a plateau where chords are easy, strumming patterns are numerous but picking/soloing is mediocre at best.

Sooooo, I'm focusing on flatpicking and doing the course books published by Flatpick magazine. I like the structure they have. My goal is to expand my ability and apply it to playing acoustic blues (my favorite).

How about you? What is your goal for the new year?

Tom
Old 12-28-2017, 08:04 PM

I started to learn to play lead earlier this year, my main goal for 2018 will be to take that goal much closer to fruition. I'm gaining progress and can noodle along to a backing track but that's a long ways from being able to noodle along to songs at a jam session.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:14 AM

To Busk/ to play in front of groups with only myself and a guitar... I played for years in Bands but never solo...
Never lead...
So hopefully I can entertain with my fancy chording/ Rhythm and a so-so voice
Old 01-01-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcurrin View Post
Hello,

I'm not much of a New Year's resolution type guy, but I do like to set goals. As a drummer for over 50 years I set a goal 2 years ago of learning another instrument and after much consternation chose the guitar. It has been a great journey since then and while being interrupted by a couple of health events I'm at a plateau where chords are easy, strumming patterns are numerous but picking/soloing is mediocre at best.

Sooooo, I'm focusing on flatpicking and doing the course books published by Flatpick magazine. I like the structure they have. My goal is to expand my ability and apply it to playing acoustic blues (my favorite).

Tom
Thanks for the post. I hadn't thought about it... But if I were to set a goal I'd have two: Learn enough more solo stuff for a one hour set. Second, to take my ability to speak Spanish from conversant to fluent.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-02-2018, 09:58 AM

Default 2018 Goals

My boss asked me fill in my goals for 2018 in December, so I gave him.
1. To become the worlds greatest grandpa.
2. To become the worlds greatest guitarist.
3. To do more offshore fishing.
He told me I didn't really understand the whole work goal thing.
He is probably right that I will never make #2. So after years of playing at various bluegrass jams and always passing on leads, my goal is to start taking a few even if I crash and burn at first.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:42 AM

Jon, I think you have your priorities in exactly the right place. Good for you!

Rb
Old 01-02-2018, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcurrin View Post
Hello,

Tom
I've been working through the Flatpicking Essentials Vol 1 course over the last 12 months and it is really good stuff. I'm about 40% through it. I supplement that with doing a bluegrass rhythm course taught by Scott Nygard on Peghead Nation. I also purchased Flatpick.com's Guitar Player's Guide to Speed, Tone, and Accuracy and I am incorporating the exercises in that book into my "woodshed".

My goal for the year is to continue the above and learn more songs and keep building a foundation in flatpicking. I also split my time between flatpicking and fingerstyle and I hope to finish the material in the Art of Solo Fingerstyle by Mark Hanson this year. That's been a 3 year project! I guess I'm a slow learner but sure have fun with it.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write