The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-20-2017, 06:25 PM

Default Fire and Rain

http://guitaralliance.com/JATOP50/so...e_and_rain.pdf

I have a question if anyone would like to advise. If you look at page 4 of the tab, starting at bar 24 and carrying on through the Outro:

How are you supposed to produce those notes? Strum them, and just try to hit the required strings? Or pluck the required strings directly (it seems like your fingers would have to be much quicker than mine ever could be in order to keep the required tempo going). Or is there some other technique I don't know about?
Old 12-20-2017, 07:58 PM

It looks like it could be either strummed or use all five fingers to pluck. Start slow and learn the pattern, then begin to increase tempo over time. Rinse, lather, repeat... until the day you die. Don’t give up and eventually you will get there.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 12-20-2017, 08:18 PM

Honestly, I'm not fond of this tab arrangement. But as far a p4 m24, it should be finger strummed. Listen to JT do it and you'll know.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 12-20-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane99 View Post
http://guitaralliance.com/JATOP50/so...e_and_rain.pdf

I have a question if anyone would like to advise. If you look at page 4 of the tab, starting at bar 24 and carrying on through the Outro:

How are you supposed to produce those notes? Strum them, and just try to hit the required strings? Or pluck the required strings directly (it seems like your fingers would have to be much quicker than mine ever could be in order to keep the required tempo going). Or is there some other technique I don't know about?
Not trying to be a smart aleck, but why are you trying to use tab for this song when you can have the man himself teach you? Go to this YouTube video, sit back, and enjoy:

https://youtu.be/OTjd4sna_4o

If I had relied on tab when I started playing guitar, I would still be trying to learn "Mary Had a Little Lamb" in 1973 instead of subbing for JT when he's not feeling well. [OK, a little embellishing on that last part but you get my drift.]

With respect to JT's teaching, as much as I love him, there are better teachers of JAMES TAYLOR'S stuff on YouTube than James Taylor. Just use the following search for anything on YouTube:

"song title artist acoustic cover"

. . . and you'll pull up tons of examples. And, throw the tab away.

The strength of James Taylor's lessons are their technological superiority. He puts a camera inside the guitar body so you can see EXACTLY what he is doing with his picking/strumming fingers. And, while you are watching that, there is a split screen with his fretting hand. Very, very nice.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2558 View Post
It looks like it could be either strummed or use all five fingers to pluck. Start slow and learn the pattern, then begin to increase tempo over time. Rinse, lather, repeat... until the day you die. Don’t give up and eventually you will get there.
Tks, jp. Plucking 1/16 notes at that speed I think I couldn't do. Even moving my fingers in the air at that speed I don't think I can do. But I'll try, as an exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Honestly, I'm not fond of this tab arrangement. But as far a p4 m24, it should be finger strummed. Listen to JT do it and you'll know.
Another vote for stumming. Tks, vindi.

So why aren't you fond on this tab?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reasley View Post
...but why are you trying to use tab for this song when you can have the man himself teach you? ...
Tks, Reasley. I've seen JT's video, and several other teaching videos for the song. And they are helpful. But I need to have a visual written reference as well. It's my learning style. For me, if I didn't have tabs to refer to, I'd still be playing Mary Had A Little Lamb. Well, ok, that one I could have figured out without a tab.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane99 View Post
Tks, jp. Plucking 1/16 notes at that speed I think I couldn't do. Even moving my fingers in the air at that speed I don't think I can do. But I'll try, as an exercise.

Another vote for stumming. Tks, vindi.

So why aren't you fond on this tab?

Tks, Reasley. I've seen JT's video, and several other teaching videos for the song. And they are helpful. But I need to have a visual written reference as well. It's my learning style. For me, if I didn't have tabs to refer to, I'd still be playing Mary Had A Little Lamb. Well, ok, that one I could have figured out without a tab.
Definitely strummed, not picked.

It just looks like random strumming to me, painstakingly (and pointlessly) tabbed out. I doubt very much that JT would have played it exactly that way every time. The chord shapes might have been consistent (in fact it's really only one chord), but no way does that strumming pattern - such as it is - matter. After all, when you play it yourself, what are you going to do when it fades at the end?

In fact, having listened to the studio version, there are accents in the rhythm not marked in this tab, and what is tabbed is not even accurate rhythmically. It could hardly be more pointless and misleading!

Really, all you need to do is get into the groove and strum that chord. Listen to the original if you want to get the accents (which are mostly on the drums and piano).

The rest of the tab seems fine, but JT's own demo is invaluable at least for his right hand technique, which is partially picked, partially strummed (with fingernails).
And if JT's video disagrees with Ronnie Hoover's tab (which it does) - well, who are you going to go with?
Doesn't mean RH is wrong - he could be exactly right (about the earlier parts of the song on the studio version); only that JT himself doesn't regard the difference as important. It's a ballpark thing. That distinctive intro, e.g., works both ways. You can still tell it's Fire and Rain the way he plays it in the demo, or the way RH has it tabbed.

The trick is to pick up what's distinctive - what do both versions (or any other live ones) share? The tab is only "some information". It's not gospel. The real information is in the recording, and in any live versions (and demos) you can find by JT.

I'm definitely not saying your reliance on visual reference is wrong! - I do the same thing myself. It's just important not to take it too seriously. It's somebody's attempt to get down on paper (or screen) what they think they're hearing. JT didn't write this tab!
Old 12-22-2017, 04:44 AM
Charter Member

Not meaning to be nasty - but - frget the "note for note" tab they are not always accurate - just learn the changes and the words and do your own version.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Not meaning to be nasty - but - frget the "note for note" tab they are not always accurate - just learn the changes and the words and do your own version.
That’s exactly what I did. Worked for weeks on JT’s version but in the end I made my own renditionhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MDSCWWkXBa8 James is just too much James.

My lyrics and music on Youtube
Old 12-22-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel View Post
James is just too much James.
I'm not following you here . . . what does this mean?

Richard
Old 12-22-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reasley View Post
I'm not following you here . . . what does this mean?

Richard
Inimitable!

My lyrics and music on Youtube
Old 12-22-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Inimitable!
Got it -- yep, makes sense!
Old 12-23-2017, 04:56 AM

Quote:
James is just too much James.
Well, no; he's just enough James.

What you mean is we can't be as James as him. We have to be us.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:55 AM

Cool

James doesn't play it right
Old 12-23-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Definitely strummed, not picked....

Really, all you need to do is get into the groove and strum that chord...

The trick is to pick up what's distinctive...
Stummed, yes. Thanks, Jon. And, yes, once I have the foundation of the song, I do like to loosen up and try to put my own groove on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Indeed, after I learn the note by note, I do want to put my own spin on it.

Quote:
That’s exactly what I did. Worked for weeks on JT’s version but in the end I made my own renditionhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MDSCWWkXBa8 ...
Pretty guitar. I hope I can make mine sound as nice as that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write