The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-14-2017, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
That is beautiful! I am constantly reminded of how much music I missed out on! And I have a ton of music! I was too busy listening to Led Zepplin and Jethro Tull back then, methinks. Wow, you did great on that. And the guitar sounds fantastic! You guys floor me with your audio recording skills! And playing skills. And good guitars, lol.
Hi Bill!

It's so nice of you to take the time to listen and comment! And I'm really glad to know you liked this!

Thanks for the kind words about the recording and playing. I made my living as a design engineer (mechanical engineer), so I do have an interest in technical things. I have always been enthusiastic about recording; I have been messing around with recording since I first started playing in 1964. Of course, equipment has gotten WAY better and as I got older and made a decent living, I could afford better equipment. I am very fortunate at this stage to have some very serviceable mics, preamps, a good computer and software, and -- oh yes -- some very nice guitars.

Believe me, I know how fortunate I have been. And thinking about Ralph McTell's song, it makes a person think about exactly that along with what a person should be doing to help others.

Thank you again, Bill, for taking the time to comment!

- Glenn
Old 10-17-2017, 01:37 PM

Fantastic job glenn, im a big fan of that song and think it sounded perfect with a midwest american accent. All the best from england.

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott
Old 10-17-2017, 02:13 PM

Another great cover Glenn.

Billy Connolly has a funny tale about going out drinking in London with Ralph McTell and they ended up staggering around in the wee hours trying to work out where they were.
Finally McTell had to admit they was lost.
Billy was very quick to point out, 'Hey didn't you sing that 'Streets of London' song? You should know where we are!"

(I took out the swear words)

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-18-2017, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh1985 View Post
Fantastic job glenn, im a big fan of that song and think it sounded perfect with a midwest american accent. All the best from england.
Hi Fresh1985,

Oh, how gracious of you! Thanks so much for the kind words -- I'm so glad you thought that this came out okay! And, how wonderful to hear from someone from Derby, England on this song from Ralph McTell!

I just got home from the hospital after hip joint replacement surgery, so I have been sort of out of it for the last couple of days. How rewarding to come home to read your post!

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 10-18-2017, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Another great cover Glenn.

Billy Connolly has a funny tale about going out drinking in London with Ralph McTell and they ended up staggering around in the wee hours trying to work out where they were.
Finally McTell had to admit they was lost.
Billy was very quick to point out, 'Hey didn't you sing that 'Streets of London' song? You should know where we are!"

(I took out the swear words)
Hi Bruce,

Thanks so much for your kind words! And what a hilarious story about Ralph McTell and Billy Connolly!!!

Best Regards,
Glenn
Old 10-21-2017, 03:35 PM

This is a great cover - love the guitar work - most enjoyable to listen to!
Old 10-21-2017, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamburmese View Post
This is a great cover - love the guitar work - most enjoyable to listen to!
Thank you so much for your comments! I'm so glad you thought this came out okay!

- Glenn
Old 10-22-2017, 10:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Great, Glenn. Really nailed it. Fantastic fingerstyle playing.

I always loved Tony Rice's flatpicking version, but this one is equally fine.

Loved it, Glenn. Keep 'em comin.

scott
Old 10-22-2017, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Great, Glenn. Really nailed it. Fantastic fingerstyle playing.

I always loved Tony Rice's flatpicking version, but this one is equally fine.

Loved it, Glenn. Keep 'em comin.

scott
Thank you Scott!

How nice of you to listen and comment! I'm really pleased that you felt that this came out okay!

- Glenn
Old 10-27-2017, 06:20 AM

This is a lovely version of a lovely song. You voice/accent suits it very well. Its a song I would very much like to learn to play. I think I will, but it will no where near as good as yours, even with a English, but Bristolian, accent.

David

P.S. Love the look of that Martin
Old 10-27-2017, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hutton View Post
This is a lovely version of a lovely song. You voice/accent suits it very well. Its a song I would very much like to learn to play. I think I will, but it will no where near as good as yours, even with a English, but Bristolian, accent.

David

P.S. Love the look of that Martin
Hi David,

Thank you for your thoughts on "Streets of London"! I'm very pleased that you like my version and that my American accent sounds okay with this lovely song. And I too, love the look of that Martin 000-28VS. I know I have been very fortunate!

If you were to learn this song, I bet it would sound great. Hopefully, you already have a handle on how to play the Travis pick as Ralph McTell uses on this song. If you don't, there are some good resources on YouTube to teach you the Travis pick. I really think that once a person gets the Travis pick down well that about half of all fingerstyle songs just fall into your lap, they become so much easier and sound so much more authentic.

Of course, you have to figure out how to play the left hand, too, but learning the Travis pick opens up so much!

Best of luck to you on this!

- Glenn
Old 10-27-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi David,

Thank you for your thoughts on "Streets of London"! I'm very pleased that you like my version and that my American accent sounds okay with this lovely song. And I too, love the look of that Martin 000-28VS. I know I have been very fortunate!

If you were to learn this song, I bet it would sound great. Hopefully, you already have a handle on how to play the Travis pick as Ralph McTell uses on this song. If you don't, there are some good resources on YouTube to teach you the Travis pick. I really think that once a person gets the Travis pick down well that about half of all fingerstyle songs just fall into your lap, they become so much easier and sound so much more authentic.

Of course, you have to figure out how to play the left hand, too, but learning the Travis pick opens up so much!

Best of luck to you on this!

- Glenn
Thanks Glenn! To be honest and perhaps oddly, I only know travis picking. I learnt to play from the Mark Hanson books. Watching you play I reckon I can do the guitar( not as well as you) it’s the singing that will be tricky. Still what’s the worst that could happen!
Old 10-27-2017, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Glenn! To be honest and perhaps oddly, I only know travis picking. I learnt to play from the Mark Hanson books. Watching you play I reckon I can do the guitar( not as well as you) it’s the singing that will be tricky. Still what’s the worst that could happen!
Hi David,

Well, if you know Travis picking then you are mostly set.

Singing takes practice and recording yourself to hear where you are not as good as you want to be really helps. The good thing about "Streets of London" is that it does not require a huge vocal range, and that means more people can have a good chance of singing it. But singing takes practice, and the more you work at it, the better you get.

Give yourself 2-3 weeks of practicing and recording yourself on this song, and I think you will be surprised at how much you will improve. Note the places you are not really on the note and work on those places. Work on tone and expression. Since we are all pretty much our own worst critics, you can also be your own best coach.

It's certainly a worthy goal, because as you have noted, this is a wonderful song! Again, best of luck!

- Glenn
Old 10-30-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi David,

Well, if you know Travis picking then you are mostly set.

Singing takes practice and recording yourself to hear where you are not as good as you want to be really helps. The good thing about "Streets of London" is that it does not require a huge vocal range, and that means more people can have a good chance of singing it. But singing takes practice, and the more you work at it, the better you get.

Give yourself 2-3 weeks of practicing and recording yourself on this song, and I think you will be surprised at how much you will improve. Note the places you are not really on the note and work on those places. Work on tone and expression. Since we are all pretty much our own worst critics, you can also be your own best coach.

It's certainly a worthy goal, because as you have noted, this is a wonderful song! Again, best of luck!

- Glenn
Thanks Glenn, sounds like grand advice. I will give it a go!
Old 10-30-2017, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Glenn, sounds like grand advice. I will give it a go!
Wonderful! I wish you luck. From your Soundcloud Envy Blues, I think you can do a good job!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell