The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Talk to Tony Yamamoto. Tell him Roger sent you.
+1. Tony makes a really fine guitar at a modest price.
Steve
Old 11-13-2017, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

I will probably get flogged for this, but at that price point I would either get the best entry level luthier build you can find by an up and coming builder or I would get something from the boutique companies. If you like the vintage Martin sound, I've been very impressed by the Authentic Martins. Bourgeois and Goodall also make fantastic guitars.

A full bells and whistles guitar at that price point will not have what I would describe as exceptional sound and playability.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

I just ran into a guy that's in Sioux Falls South Dakota by the name of J. Reick. I live not so far from there and it got me thinking. That would be cool.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-13-2017, 07:39 PM

Thanks so much for all the messages and emails. I know I have not ad the chance to reply and engage each of you but be assured I am reading everything and doing research. I'll do my best as time allows to respond to everyone. Thanks again for the terrific response. Lots of great options!
Old 11-13-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I will probably get flogged for this, but at that price point I would either get the best entry level luthier build you can find by an up and coming builder or I would get something from the boutique companies. If you like the vintage Martin sound, I've been very impressed by the Authentic Martins. Bourgeois and Goodall also make fantastic guitars.

A full bells and whistles guitar at that price point will not have what I would describe as exceptional sound and playability.
I have to echo what justonwo said there. 5k nowadays for some bells and whistles and cutaway is a very low threshold unfortunately. Many new luthiers who havent built more than 10 or 20 guitars are starting with base prices that already exceed $5,000.

Unless you have a very particular aesthetic vision to bring to fruition or very exacting ergonomic requirements to incorporate into your guitar, I will question whether a custom build is really necessary to achieve what you want. IMHO you have a higher chance of getting a guitar that fits within your budget and gives you the tone that you want in the used market.

In this regard, i have been impressed by the value for money that you get from a used Goodall guitar from the hawaii shop era that fits within your budget and will match or surpass many solo luthier made guitars greatly exceeding its price.

If you are really set on a custom build, it'll be a good idea IMHO to give the preference to very experienced luthiers like Alan Carruth or jason bowerman over newer luthiers to build your dream guitar as it is rare to be able to get that amount of experience within the 5K budget. There is no substitute for the decades of experience in voicing the top.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:04 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:

He said basic woods, a cutaway and a small amount of inlay. I wouldn't call that full bells and whistles. I think there are some fine. seasoned builders out there who can deliver this for him and would certainly have exceptional sound and playability.

I believe he is having a custom built to commemorate a rite of passage, so to speak, in his life.......this won't be present on a used guitar as some have mentioned.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
He said basic woods, a cutaway and a small amount of inlay. I wouldn't call that full bells and whistles. I think there are some fine. seasoned builders out there who can deliver this for him and would certainly have exceptional sound and playability.

I believe he is having a custom built to commemorate a rite of passage, so to speak, in his life.......this won't be present on a used guitar as some have mentioned.
I could not agree more and I know several builders who can accomplish this goal. The OP was asking for advise on builders not advice on buying a used guitar, I mean not to offend, but he is not asking for advise on buying a guitar.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:02 PM

Facepalm time for me - although I read his opening Post, i didnt notice his follow-up post on why is he wanting to Commission a build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post

Old 11-13-2017, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Pat Foster is a great guy and very affordable.

http://www.patfosterguitars.com
Old 11-13-2017, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I get it. Again, it’s just my opinion. At that price point and with the stated goals I still wouldn’t go the commission route. I realize that probably isn’t a popular opinion. I wouldn’t compromise on tone even for my child’s birth (I have 3 kids and they know where they rank in relation to my guitars). Having played a lot of luthier built guitars at that price point, that is my opinion and advice. If the OP doesn’t feel that advice is useful, no problem at all. Just chiming in.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I get it. Again, it’s just my opinion. At that price point and with the stated goals I still wouldn’t go the commission route. I realize that probably isn’t a popular opinion. I wouldn’t compromise on tone even for my child’s birth (I have 3 kids and they know where they rank in relation to my guitars). Having played a lot of luthier built guitars at that price point, that is my opinion and advice. If the OP doesn’t feel that advice is useful, no problem at all. Just chiming in.
No problem, but I will just say I have recently added 3 luthier made guitars at that price point and unless you are heads and tails above me, which you may well be, in hearing, I don't know how you could find 3 guitars that sound better and yes, I have played several guitars from those considered to be the best. I would love you to play them and would defy you to honestly say anything regarding tone has been sacrificed. I really am struggling to understand your statement that you would not go the commissioned route as you "wouldn't compromise on tone even for my child's birth..." It seems to me you are saying that a commission in this price range, or any commission really, is a sacrifice in tone????

So there, two divergent opinions and how did that help the OP, I have no idea.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Tom, send them over to me and I’ll let you know.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:03 AM

Why not buy a used guitar for $3500 and have a good inlay artist personalize it for you? There's a Santa Cruz Om with a cutaway in the for-sale section now that is a lot of guitar for the money. It may be too Martinesque for your tastes, but you get the idea. I think you can buy a fine new luthier-built guitar for $5000, but the custom inlay is going to pop the price up past that.

I would suggest some names, but most of the luthiers I know shoot for more of a trad sound than a modern one. Good luck with your search.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:31 AM

Default Looking for a builder!

Thanks for all the advice guys - however if you read my posts I am not looking for a used guitar. It needs to be custom as stated for a particular inlay and design.

I have been a round a LONG time - I'm fully aware of the used markets and advantages of buying a quality used guitar over a custom build. However this is simply NOT an option for what I'm trying to do. I have plenty of great guitars for my playing and recording - this is more of an heirloom. Of course I want it to sound good though!

As Todd said above, there are tons of great options in the price range in looking. I have a huge list already due to the great recommendations of several folks here.

Take care
Dylan
Old 11-14-2017, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
No problem, but I will just say I have recently added 3 luthier made guitars at that price point and unless you are heads and tails above me, which you may well be, in hearing, I don't know how you could find 3 guitars that sound better and yes, I have played several guitars from those considered to be the best. I would love you to play them and would defy you to honestly say anything regarding tone has been sacrificed. I really am struggling to understand your statement that you would not go the commissioned route as you "wouldn't compromise on tone even for my child's birth..." It seems to me you are saying that a commission in this price range, or any commission really, is a sacrifice in tone????

So there, two divergent opinions and how did that help the OP, I have no idea.
I also think there has been a lot of "unasked for advice" being offered instead of providing a response to the OPs questions. Statements suggesting that "looking for a commission in the $5K range" is an inappropriate choice is outside of the scope of the questions being asked. Each potential buyer has their own priorities and goals and financial choices, maybe we shouldn't impose our own priorities and goals onto others.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop