The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-22-2017, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

I like the option of being able to split the humbuckers. I prefer single coil PU's for most applications. They can do anything I would ever need. I own a LP copy with two humbuckers and it definitely screams, but I don't really need it for most of the stuff I will ever play. I do like it, though...

I started out on electric at 11 years old (32 years ago) and my first guitar was a '68 SG. Nice guitar, very versatile, lightweight, but not attractive, IMO...LOL...I hope my fellow SG enthusiasts don't string me up for that comment. I just don't like the looks of them, but they do hold a special place in my heart, and they are very good guitars.

There is nothing, and I mean nothing, IMO, that sounds like a LP while utilizing a single coil PU, using the split coil. LP's are much more versatile than some give credit for, and they can produce a clean tone that rivals, or even outperforms any Telecaster I have ever played...And I am a diehard Tele man, through and through...

I would also recommend a Strat, even if you don't like the looks of the head stock. You need to love the guitar, so I understand if you don't, but the versatility and playability of a Strat is unquestionable.

I will also recommend taking a look at some of the G&L Telecaster models that come with humbuckers, if you like those PU's. They are great guitars with many nice models to choose from that look great, sound great, and play great.

And I will agree with some of the other guys when they advise to get a good amp. I am partial to Fender, but the Vox amps are great too. I have owned tube amps from both makers and you can't go wrong either way.

Good luck! Playing electric opens up an entire new world of guitar playing and will improve your acoustic playing. It is intriguing how playing an electric will inspire you to explore things that you may never think of doing while playing acoustic. Every guitar player needs at least one electric...Or twelve.LOL
Old 10-22-2017, 08:28 PM

may I suggest rather than the Vox plug in, try an amp sim pedal like a Joyo American sound. I got mine for $35. Plug your guitar in one side and the other to any powered speaker or system/amp that takes an aux input. These give you a lot of tone control and coloring (or not) of your signal. Should serve you well till you move up to the amp you really want.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:39 PM

Well I went back and tried the Washburn but first I tried the SG. To my surprise it was even lighter than the Washburn and MUCH lighter than the LP.

Having read up about the Washburn whilst its good value for money in terms of the "fitttings" the basic guitar is pretty basic. When I played it again I noticed that whilst I liked the ebony fretboard the head stock was toy like (20% reduced size) and the nut width very small. It also had jumbo frets.

So I find myself back to the drawing board but now moving to the SG shape. The SG I played was an Epiphone SG which had all the bling and split or tapped pickups whatever you call them.

The fullsized headstock and slightly wider neck felt better than the Washburn. When I was trying the LP I tried a Gibson and could tell instantly that it was a slightly nicer guitar (in my view) than the equivalent Epiphone.

So next I want to try a Gibson SG. There seems like so many models. Again I am not interested in fancy appointments and finish can be plain with maybe just dots on the fretboard. I prefer the the look of Gover tuners.

Looking I see a models that may suit.

1. Fusion only has two controls is that just one volume and tone for each pickup when switched ?
2. Faded.

I am completly lost with the electronics though ? How easy are eletronics upgradable if I say want to fit split/tapped pickups ?

Also I note they are now selling with wraparound bridges ? Can tuners be easily changed ?

Needless to say my budget would need to increase from £300 to £600....
1998 Taylor 555 (2007)
K&K Pure Western Mini

Last edited by Jerrysimon; 10-23-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrysimon View Post
Well I went back and tried the Washburn but first I tried the SG. To my surprise it was even lighter than the Washburn and MUCH lighter than the LP.

Having read up about the Washburn whilst its good value for money in terms of the "fitttings" the basic guitar is pretty basic. When I played it again I noticed that whilst I liked the ebony fretboard the head stock was toy like (20% reduced size) and the nut width very small. It also had jumbo frets.

So I find myself back to the drawing board but now moving to the SG shape. The SG I played was an Epiphone SG which had all the bling and split or tapped pickups whatever you call them.

The fullsized headstock and slightly wider neck felt better than the Washburn. When I was trying the LP I tried a Gibson and could tell instantly that it was a slightly nicer guitar (in my view) than the equivalent Epiphone.

So next I want to try a Gibson SG. There seems like so many models. Again I am not interested in fancy appointments and finish can be plain with maybe just dots on the fretboard. I prefer the the look of Gover tuners.

Looking I see a models that may suit.

1. Fusion only has two controls is that just one volume and tone for each pickup when switched ?
2. Faded.

I am completly lost with the electronics though ? How easy are eletronics upgradable if I say want to fit split/tapped pickups ?

Also I note they are now selling with wraparound bridges ? Can tuners be easily changed ?

Needless to say my budget would need to increase from £300 to £600....

Modifying electronics is a simple affair given that you’re comfortable with a soldering iron. If you want to modify pickups with split coil function, then you must buy the pickups wired for that and of course the switching. A push-pull pot would be ideal if you don’t want to drill holes for toggle switches. Seymour Duncan pickups come split-coil ready and they have diagrams on their website.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:10 AM

Many thanks again for your reply re splitting. I do a lot of electronic DIY stuff so should be fine with a soldering iron.

I have ordered an Epiphone G-400 Pro from Amazon which was on offer, to try.

Will be good to compare with the Ephiphone Studio LP I also have on trial from them. The Epiphone LP was horendously set up and I had to reset the relief and action. It really was badly set up!

The shop has a Gibson SG Faded coming in for me to try tomorrow as well.
1998 Taylor 555 (2007)
K&K Pure Western Mini
Old 10-24-2017, 07:23 AM

You're right about the Gibson - less bling but more substance than the Epi, and way more guitar for not much more money; check out one of the '17 (full-size humbuckers)/'18 (mini-buckers) Specials if you get the chance - if you're concerned about weight many of these come in below six pounds...
Old 10-24-2017, 10:30 AM

I notice that the specials and faded go for about the same money

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...son+sg+special

Is this because some are older stock 2016 ?

Is the only difference the appointments/finishes ?

Seems the fusions get a bad write up re their wrapped bridges so maybe I will give them a miss. The shop just phoned me to tell me the faded one is in for me to try. Will be interesting to see how that compares to the Epiphone Pro.
1998 Taylor 555 (2007)
K&K Pure Western Mini
Old 10-24-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrysimon View Post
I notice that the specials and faded go for about the same money

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...son+sg+special

Is this because some are older stock 2016 ?

Is the only difference the appointments/finishes ?

Seems the fusions get a bad write up re their wrapped bridges so maybe I will give them a miss. The shop just phoned me to tell me the faded one is in for me to try. Will be interesting to see how that compares to the Epiphone Pro.
You should notice a difference between the Epiphone and the Gibson. As for the 2016 vs 2017 models, the 2016s tend to be a little less expensive, even here in Canada. Older stock. Nothing wrong with the guitars.

I know that the 2016 Gibson SG standard didn't come with a hardshell case (what was Gibson thinking) but it's back with the 2017. The pickups also changed.

I'm not familiar with the Fusions - never heard of them.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:49 PM

Washburn makes a pretty good electric guitar and that looks like one of them.

As for the 12-string, I'd try hard not to sell it. The thing about 12-strings is, yeah they don't get used much, but when they do you really appreciate it.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:11 PM

Haven't sold it yet but its been sat in its case for over 9 months unplayed

Took a long time for me to find it though.

This is the Fusion. As you see it has a wraparound bridge.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Elect...-S-Series.aspx
1998 Taylor 555 (2007)
K&K Pure Western Mini
Old 10-24-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
First things first: learn palm muting. As you begin to gain up the amp the guitar comes alive and anything you don't want to sound needs to be muted. The technique is quite different and should give you quite a bit to play with and expand into.

Bob
So very true. I'm a life-long electric rock guy. I played in a band with a guy who had always played acoustic and he played the electric like he played his acoustic. It was a horrible sound. You do not strum an electric guitar like you do an acoustic. It really is a very different animal.

Good luck on your new adventure! I have a bunch of electric guitars, amps and pedals. We all have our favorites. I'm a strat guy and love the sound of it plugged into a good old tube amp.

That said, I've put the strats on the shelf for the last 5 years and am loving my Taylors.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 10-26-2017, 02:13 PM

Ok things progress. My Epiphone G-400 Pro turned up and immediately I was happy with how much lighter it was than their LP. Initially I also like the coil splitting but after a while I wondered if it was really needed. At least now I am decided on the model i.e. an SG.

I started to look at small practise amps, rather than the plug in ones that you use with headphones and so tried the Blackstar FLY 3 which seemed ok. Also now looking at the Roland Micro Cube GX.

I guess I was almost decided on the Epiphone until today when I went and tried a Gibson Faded (Red) in the shop. I think something about the raw wood finish, lovely neck and fretboard appealed to me as an acoustic player of Taylors. Although a base model I could tell the difference between the Epiphone G-400 PRO and the Gibson almost immediatley. Its about twice the price. I have decided to try one more Epiphone the Worn G-400 which I think is their version of the Gibson before I finally decide.

The Epiphone will have to be good to sway. If I get the Gibson I will need to sell my 12 string Taylor.
1998 Taylor 555 (2007)
K&K Pure Western Mini
Old 10-26-2017, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

You've gotten great advice so far! I would simply add that you might want to focus on physical comfort first and foremost. I wanted an LP, found one I really liked, played it sitting for half hour practice sessions and such. I'd bring it to band practice, stand with it for two hours, suddenly I'd have a dime-sized bruise on my ribs. I play the guitar a bit high up, have no padding on my ribs, and the flat back of the LP settled on a single, small spot. I needed to find a guitar with a tummy carve. The Washburn you posted has that, I won't buy a guitar without it. I also like an arm carve and rounded edges so nothing digs into my forearm. The feel of the neck is important, width, depth, fretboard radius, etc. So please road test the way you'll play it, sitting, standing, and so on, to find what feels best to you.

Electronics call all be changed. You can upgrade the wiring, swap out pickups, and make other changes. If you're not comfortable playing the guitar, you'll be less likely to pick it up.

Another note, coil splitting will reduce the volume of the pickup. I found it was find when practicing at home, but had to be a bit creative when playing with a band and using coil splitting. I'd work with the guitar on volume 6 or 7 for the full pickup so I had room to raise the volume on songs I'd play with a split coil.

Have fun with the process!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 10-26-2017, 02:57 PM

Yes at 57 with a not so great back comfort is essential!

I think that is probably most important in terms of wanting to pick it up and play as you say. My Taylor 512s are just under 6lbs.The Gibson was definately the lightest of what I have tried, but also as I said I love the basic finish of the Faded. I think I am going to end up with one especially as it makes me want to pick it up and play it.

Will just try the Epiphone Worn to confirm though that seems to be a lot heavier according to their web site.

I do appreciate the advice!

This forum is great in that it is very active. I posted a while back on the Washburn forum and am yet to get a reply!
1998 Taylor 555 (2007)
K&K Pure Western Mini

Last edited by Jerrysimon; 10-26-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:20 AM

Get the Gibson and give the Epi a pass. By the time you upgrade pickups and hardware you will be about the same place $-wise.

I also advise you to pass on the Fly 3. Got one and sent it back. Decent sound but not great, very "toylike" IMO.

The Roland is a nice little practice amp, but I gotta say - I LOVE my Fender Passport Mini. Great tones once tweaked with software and xlr in for vocals. Loud enough to play small venues - I know because i have.

Also, at the 150-200 price point why not consider a 50 watt Katana. Low wattage setting for practice and easily powerful enough to gig with. Just a thought.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars