The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-12-2017, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Glenn,

I had a left hip replacement 9 years ago when I was 50. It was the result of a running injury that happened when I was 34 and the damage to my hip just kept getting increasingly arthritic. I got an active life back after the surgery and I’ve never had any issues. I can do anything I want (other than becoming an active runner). I hope you have the same success with your new hip. I figure after I’m cremated when I meet my reward at the Great Guitar Shop in Heaven, all that will be left will be two pieces of stainless steel! Then my wife can put them in a can and have a pretty good percussion instrument .

I’m using the transcription in Mark Hanson’s Paul Simon songbook and Mark says it is the exact arrangement that Paul Simon plays in the original recording. To be honest, I prefer your version as you throw some strums in earlier that embellish the piece better to my ears. I’ll learn the original but I think I’ll download the audio to your YT video and put it in Amazing Slow Downer to work on adding your dynamics.

Thanks!

Bob
Hi Bob,

Oh, interesting! I didn't know that Mark Hanson had published a Paul Simon songbook, so that is very good to know. It sounds like you have everything you need to work this song out, but I'm glad that my version might also be helpful, too.

Regarding the hip joint thing, I also had my left hip joint replaced. My surgeon told me that for some reason about 60-70% of hip joint replacements are left side, which I found very interesting. You probably already knew this.

I'm very glad that your hip joint replacement went well and that you are happy with the result. I know that they don't want people to continue running on these artificial joints, but I have been away from running for some years now. I am about 10 years older than you are, so I can't complain too much about the need for this surgery. I am doing pretty well considering the short time since surgery. I need to have my right joint replaced, too, but I might wait another year before going after this. The right side is not nearly as bad as the left was.

Thanks for your feedback on all issues here, Bob!

- Glenn
Old 11-13-2017, 04:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Bob,

Oh, interesting! I didn't know that Mark Hanson had published a Paul Simon songbook, so that is very good to know. It sounds like you have everything you need to work this song out, but I'm glad that my version might also be helpful, too.

Regarding the hip joint thing, I also had my left hip joint replaced. My surgeon told me that for some reason about 60-70% of hip joint replacements are left side, which I found very interesting. You probably already knew this.

I'm very glad that your hip joint replacement went well and that you are happy with the result. I know that they don't want people to continue running on these artificial joints, but I have been away from running for some years now. I am about 10 years older than you are, so I can't complain too much about the need for this surgery. I am doing pretty well considering the short time since surgery. I need to have my right joint replaced, too, but I might wait another year before going after this. The right side is not nearly as bad as the left was.

Thanks for your feedback on all issues here, Bob!

- Glenn
Love this song. Was there a vid attached somewhere?

memmer
Old 11-13-2017, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Love this song. Was there a vid attached somewhere?

memmer
Hi Scott,

Yes, there was a video on the first post of this thread. Here it is again...

- Glenn
Old 11-14-2017, 01:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Scott,

Yes, there was a video on the first post of this thread. Here it is again...

- Glenn
Really love, Glenn. Thanks for reposting.

Does Paul Simon play that one on a 12-string on the studio recording? I seem to recall that he did not, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, as usual, you nailed it. Very lovely.

Thanks, Glenn!
Old 11-14-2017, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Really love, Glenn. Thanks for reposting.

Does Paul Simon play that one on a 12-string on the studio recording? I seem to recall that he did not, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, as usual, you nailed it. Very lovely.

Thanks, Glenn!
Hi Scott,

Yes, he played "For Emily" on a Guild F212 on the original recording. Here is a YouTube of that original recording. I note that Art Garfunkel's voice is doubled on the recording, which I don't think I recognized when I was younger, but now it seems so obvious. The Guild F212 may also be doubled, but I can't be sure. There sure is a lot of reverb on the recording based on today's generally much more spare use.

I saw Simon & Garfunkel in concert in September, 1967 at Purdue University, a performance I will never forget. For the encore at the end, they came back and played "For Emily" and he used a Guild F212.

Regards,
Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell