The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-06-2015, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

I recently added a Pono DS20 to my stable of slope shoulder design guitars which consists of Eastman E20SS, Eastman E10SS and Recording King RAJ 122 and have found that the build quality is in line with the Eastmans though the finish on the Pono is a poly type finish (applied very thin). The fit and finish is perfect and the tone fits right in between the E20SS and E10SS. The DS20 that I happened to buy is the one that is used in the Video which blew me away and it sounds just like the Video. If you get a chance to play one it will be coming home with you....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=8Rq1bDfKKo8
Old 08-06-2015, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Congrats, CRM. When I saw that video, I thought that guitar sounded awesome. So glad you are enjoying it.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-06-2015, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Are you saying you have played a Pono slope dread and it was comparable to a Gibson? I thought you only had a parlor?
No, I'm saying based on the quality of the two Pono products I have, I would be inclined, based on the vidio clips I've seen, and the Gibsons I played as recently as yesterday, to give Pono $1200 of my money to have a Pono slope dread in my hands to evaluate.

The new Gibsons are fine guitars that won't get me to part with my money, just as are most Collings, SCGC, etc.

Now the Gibsons I've played that were old would have me looking to make a deal with the devil to own one.

I am not bashing Gibson, and even acknowledge Ponos MIGHT not be as good, but given my current retirement finances, I'd be more likely to buy a Pono based on my good experiences with them.

Six months ago if you told me I would own any non US built guitar, I'd have told you you were nuts. I will tell you I like my Pono better than anything I played in it's price range and like it better than 80% of anything else I played.

I'm far less judgmental now of those who have found high quality imports they really like.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

Last edited by Br1ck; 08-06-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:29 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I like the looks and sound of them (on the internet). I was going to buy one this year, but bought a resonator instead. Probably get one next summer. The wood combo choice yet to be made. I might go with a spruce top parlor if any are available next year.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-06-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
No, I'm saying based on the quality of the two Pono products I have, I would be inclined, based on the vidio clips I've seen, and the Gibsons I played as recently as yesterday, to give Pono $1200 of my money to have a Pono slope dread in my hands to evaluate.

The new Gibsons are fine guitars that won't get me to part with my money, just as are most Collings, SCGC, etc.

Now the Gibsons I've played that were old would have me looking to make a deal with the devil to own one.

I am not bashing Gibson, and even acknowledge Ponos MIGHT not be as good, but given my current retirement finances, I'd be more likely to buy a Pono based on my good experiences with them.

Six months ago if you told me I would own any non US built guitar, I'd have told you you were nuts. I will tell you I like my Pono better than anything I played in it's price range and like it better than 80% of anything else I played.

I'm far less judgmental now of those who have found high quality imports they really like.
I don't disagree that Pono's are awesome since I have owned two of their parlors and loved them. It was just the curious way you phrased that statement.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

I've owned three Ponos and still have two- both a dread and a OOOO (sold an OP model to a forum member). Fantastic guitars, would buy another no problem. Check my previous NGDs for info on those three models.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Acoustic jazz, I see you have both Eastmans and Ponos in your stable. I would be interested in your thoughts regarding how they compare to each other.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-16-2015, 12:53 PM

I see them as comparable to Eastmans, GuildGADs, and Blueridge acoustics. For the money I would much rather add a few dollars more and get a Taylor, Larrivee, Martin, Collings, Guild, Gibson or the like. Also, resale on the big name acoustic guitars will be much higher than on a relatively unknown brand like Pono so the net cost over the lifetime of owning the guitar is likely to be about the same except you would get higher quality on the big name acoustics.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 08-16-2015, 01:28 PM

I'm taking the plunge for an L30 parlour with solid headstock.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
I'm taking the plunge for an L30 parlour with solid headstock.
Cool! Let us know when you get it and how you like it. I think that you will be really happy with it.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-16-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
I see them as comparable to Eastmans, GuildGADs, and Blueridge acoustics. For the money I would much rather add a few dollars more and get a Taylor, Larrivee, Martin, Collings, Guild, Gibson or the like. Also, resale on the big name acoustic guitars will be much higher than on a relatively unknown brand like Pono so the net cost over the lifetime of owning the guitar is likely to be about the same except you would get higher quality on the big name acoustics.
That's assuming there would be a resale. I have owned a few Ponos and believe they are better than Larrivee or Eastman. I would say that it would be more than "just a few dollars" to go up to Collings. Martin and Gibson, sure but you are still talking about a good chunk of money.

Nothing wrong with staying in that price range if that's what you can afford.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:26 PM
Get off my lawn kid

What's this new OP-30 DC parlor they have? I can't seem to find a video on this one. (Found it, its in the wrong spot, as are all of the videos. Their website needs a little work, lol) I would have bought a Pono, I contacted them/emailed them twice from their website and they never answered me. I figured if they couldn't handle something important yet simple as initial client contact I would get something else. It really put me off. Hopefully next year their site will be fixed up.

Looks interesting from the specs. I wonder if its a 12 or 14 fret.

Quote:
Pono OP-30DC

Back and Sides: Solid Java Rosewood (Dalbergia Latifolia, Indian Rosewood)

Top Soundboard: Engelmann Spruce (British Columbia)

Headstock: Slotted

Cutaway: Yes

Scale Length: 24 3/4"

Tuners: Grover H97-18G Vintage Slothead

Top and Back Binding: Maple

Fingerboard and Bridge: Ebony

Logo and Fingerboard Position Markers: Pearl

Rosette: Abalone

Body Width: 13 1/2" (342mm)

Lower Bout Depth: 4 1/4"

Fingerboard Width at the Nut: 1 3/4"

String Spacing at the Bridge: 2 1/4"

Case: Custom Hardshell

Price: $1249.00 Including Case and US Domestic Shipping

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 08-16-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
What's this new OP-30 DC parlor they have? I can't seem to find a video on this one. (Found it, its in the wrong spot, as are all of the videos. Their website needs a little work, lol) I would have bought a Pono, I contacted them/emailed them twice from their website and they never answered me. I figured if they couldn't handle something important yet simple as initial client contact I would get something else. It really put me off. Hopefully next year their site will be fixed up.

Looks interesting from the specs. I wonder if its a 12 or 14 fret.
Not sure where you are looking or what contact form you are using. John is very responsive an a pleasure to deal with. I'm sending you a PM with his direct email. He will answer all our questions. The OP-30 isn't a new parlor as I used to own that own.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:13 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Not sure where you are looking or what contact form you are using. John is very responsive an a pleasure to deal with. I'm sending you a PM with his direct email. He will answer all our questions. The OP-30 isn't a new parlor as I used to own that own.
What's the OP-30DC? Its listed as "New" on the website. (Its a cutaway - looks very nice)

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-16-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
What's the OP-30DC? Its listed as "New" on the website. (Its a cutaway - looks very nice)
It's only new because of the cutaway.

http://ponoguitar.com/index.php/models.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion