The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-18-2017, 04:24 PM

Default Need info on Hikari guitars.

So ran into this local craigslist ad, and I found myself super curious about this guitar. Very little info out there about it, other than it was designed in Hawaii and made in Japan in the 70’s. Some rumors say that these were Takamine prototypes, so they’re made with the good stuff like solid woods. Any info greatly appreciated!

Vintage Solid Top Acoustic Guitar. Made in Japan
https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/...349277263.html
Old 11-18-2017, 07:52 PM

An adjustable bridge won't lend as much resonance as a lighter, all bone bridge, for instance. The weight of the metal base and adjustable screws is a bit of a tone killer. Could well be a nice guitar in every other respect. See it in person, if convenient.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:15 PM

If you have a look at it, check the neck angle. That is, will there still be a reasonable amount of saddle showing when the action has been set to your liking?
Old 11-19-2017, 12:44 AM

Well guys it’s NGD for me! Met the guy and we talked a bit about the guitar and got to inspect it very well and play it for a bit. This thing sounds really nice! And the playability is extremely good, I can’t believe this 40-ish year old guitar is in such great shape. The frets are good, might need some crowning on the cowboy chord frets, but otherwise there’s minimal fret wear for a guitar this old. The neck is a “soft” V which is a first for me, and I liked the feel right away. The original open gear tuning keys work great, the guitar has very good tuning stability.

I might be in honeymoon stage right now, but I can’t seem to put this thing down, just love how it sounds, how it sounds so much fuller than my cheap Fender dread even though this is a smaller body guitar. Yes that adjustable bridge has to go, I can’t imagine how a proper bone saddle will really wake up this guitar.

Ok here’s some pics.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:46 AM

More pics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion