The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-15-2017, 11:09 AM

Default Anyone who's had or currently have a Breedlove Concert please educate me

I have become fascinated and think I'm beginning to cramp up from severe gas.

Ha.

Honestly, I love the idea of Cedar top, and the pinless bridge with the truss thing is very intriguing to me. I really like how it's modern day advancements on the old tried and true acoustic box with strings formula.

So I would like to know:
1. Is there much difference between the laminated rosewood and mahogany?
2. Is the action really tweakable like Taylor's are known for?
3. Is the electronics decent compared to something like a JJB/K&K?
4. Sound comparison with and without the soundport open?

Any reviews/experience would greatly be appreciated.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:04 PM

I can only speak to no. 2 and 4. All guitars can have their action tweaked and Taylor's isn't anything special in that regard. However, taylor is known for NOT needing the action adjusted.

I've never heard of any non-custom Breedlove coming with a soundport.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:31 PM

What series are you looking at? The Concert designation is just the body shape—a very nice shape, but still doesn’t narrow down the exact guitar your asking about. I suspect the cedar top and sound port is the “solo” series??
Old 11-15-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleBob View Post
What series are you looking at? The Concert designation is just the body shape—a very nice shape, but still doesn’t narrow down the exact guitar your asking about. I suspect the cedar top and sound port is the “solo” series??
I believe so, I'm still getting acquainted with their naming scheme. Pursuit concert and solo concert both seem to have solid Cedar for tops but I've also seen a Sitka variant, like here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Breedlove-P...8AAOSwv~NZrknA.

I'm seeing conflicting information on the back and sides, other then both being layered.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Lots to like about the Breedlove line... however, consistency and/or simplicity in their name designations for all the models is NOT one of them! Really difficult to make heads or tails from it... and I am a FAN of their guitars!

Sounds as though they are streamlining it for this year, so that will make it easy, at least with the new ones.

Over the years (like the last 6 I've lived here in Corvallis), I have seen a BUNCH of different names and models... so good luck figuring that part out!

ALL the Asian-built guitars will have solid tops, whatever wood is used... MOST of the Asian-builds will have laminate back and sides; I believe there are a couple models that have all-solid wood construction. I know there were some that had solid tops and backs with laminate sides. They make some of the models with soundports (the Solo series?), and nearly everything above the entry-level Discovery Concert will have electronics. Until you reach around a $1,000 pricepoint, the nut widths are 1 11/16ths, then they come in 1 3/4"... used to be that ALL the Asian-built Breedloves had 1 11/16th" nut widths, and it was only changed because Tom Bedell asked my friend, Kurt Dietrich, what he would change, if anything. (Kurt sells more Breedlove guitars than anyone else in the Northwest, and he does it from a small shop here in town...)

I've played many that were very nice instruments; some that were "okay" and only one or two that were stinkers (in my opinion).

The American made guitars can be very special... I'm particularly fond of the Oregon Series guitars, in all their iterations. (Check out the all-myrtle wood Concerts - they sound very good and pleasingly different from the spruce topped ones...)

you can frequently find used, great condition Oregon Series Concerts for around $1,000, if you look hard enough... for that money they are AMAZING little guitars!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-15-2017, 04:53 PM

Had the custom shop Focus with cedar/EIR, the truss system and LR Baggs dual source electronics. Great guitar. I'd probably still have it if I hadn't left steel strings for nylon. I will say that I had to keep new strings on it to keep the trebles resonating in the cedar. I changed them every two weeks.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

I recently purchased from a fellow AGF-er a Pursuit 12 string model. Sitka top and Sapele back and sides. I like it in that it's a smaller body (concert) 12 string but still has a big full sound. Very comfortable to hold and play.

The electronics are excellent, which are the Fishman Isys system and has volume, tone, and a built in tuner (always handy for a 12 string!). The battery box is off to the side of the bottom for easy access.

These run $549.00 new. I got mine (barely used) for $270 plus a little shipping.

All in all I think these are bargains even at retail pricing for what you get. Link to what my 12 is below.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--BREPURCON12
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 11-15-2017, 05:30 PM

Just my opinion, but many here have said the same thing. More important than the wood you choose is the maker and how they use that wood. Breedlove is an outstanding company and makes some excellent guitars.

I lived in Bend OR and I have spent many hours playing virtually of their instruments. In my opinion, you cannot do better than the Oregon Series... the Concert is my favorite body size in the Oregon Series. These are real Swiss-Army-Knife guitars, they do everything well.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 11-15-2017, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambi View Post
I have become fascinated and think I'm beginning to cramp up from severe gas.

Ha.

Honestly, I love the idea of Cedar top, and the pinless bridge with the truss thing is very intriguing to me. I really like how it's modern day advancements on the old tried and true acoustic box with strings formula.

So I would like to know:
1. Is there much difference between the laminated rosewood and mahogany?
2. Is the action really tweakable like Taylor's are known for?
3. Is the electronics decent compared to something like a JJB/K&K?
4. Sound comparison with and without the soundport open?

Any reviews/experience would greatly be appreciated.
..... I have a Northwest Classic Masterclass Concert, & will be glad to answer any questions about it. But I can't address any of your fore mentioned questions; 1.) never saw a Breed with laminates, 2.) all good acoustics are tweakable, 3.) no electronics on mine, & 4.) never saw a Breed with an adjustable soundport. Your questions aren't addressing any Breeds that I know of.
Steve
Old 11-15-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
Just my opinion, but many here have said the same thing. More important than the wood you choose is the maker and how they use that wood. Breedlove is an outstanding company and makes some excellent guitars.

I lived in Bend OR and I have spent many hours playing virtually of their instruments. In my opinion, you cannot do better than the Oregon Series... the Concert is my favorite body size in the Oregon Series. These are real Swiss-Army-Knife guitars, they do everything well.

I do not have an Oregon series, but I do have a concert-sized premier (also made in bend) and would agree with billder comment on how Oregon: it’s exceptionally versatile and balanced relative to other guitars I’ve owned and played.
In my opinion it sounds good strummed, finger picking, flat picking and with vocals (that might be unique to my voice, or maybe because it’s very balanced across the tonal range). I don’t know if these attributes extend to the non-US Breedloves, but I’ve played a couple and they sounded good, but varied a bit between the different series (so be sure to play your guitar before purchase if you can)
Old 11-16-2017, 03:15 PM

Thanks everyone. It sounds like

A) I should hold off for one of the all wood American made models.
B) Be mindful of Cedar with older strings
C) Definitely play them before choosing. This will be hard since I've never even seen one except online and I'm lefty to boot.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambi View Post
C) Definitely play them before choosing. This will be hard since I've never even seen one except online and I'm lefty to boot.
Most sellers will give a return period for online purchases... you negotiate the # of days. Guitar Center gives a 30-day return with every new guitar sold... fantastic return policy. In this way, your only cost is return shipping.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 11-18-2017, 06:49 PM

Although I have not tried to play it much I acquired a Spruce/Myrtlewood Voice Concert that may be one of the prettiest guitars I have ever seen. Its really a Masterclass looking woodset. Great tone as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion