The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-05-2016, 01:28 PM

Question Taylor 552ce vs. 562ce vs. 562e

Stopped by a music store to see if they had a Martin M-36 to try out (which they didn't), and ended up playing a Taylor 552ce among other guitars (I had read up on the new Taylor GC 12-fret 12-strings, and needed to play one).

I have a soft spot for 12-strings - my first guitar was a 1975 Ovation Pacemaker (which is about to go up for sale on craigslist). I also have a Godin A-12, which is a really easy playing 12-string. It's the only one that I've ever played that has a 1-11/16" nut. I really like the neck and string spacing on that guitar - it doesn't feel cramped to me.

I was really impressed by the 552ce (tone and volume out of that little body), but they didn't have a 562ce to compare. I'm wondering how people would describe the difference when it comes to strumming (just call me Guitar George, except I don't know all the chords, but it's strictly rhythm for me, especially on a 12-string).

I also see that Taylor makes (made?) a 562e non-cutaway, and am wondering if anyone has had an opportunity to A/B the cutaway/non-cutaway versions of the 562 (or A/B/C the 562ce, 562e and 552ce).
Old 08-05-2016, 02:37 PM

I've been looking at these new 12 strings as well. I've played both the cedar and mahogany top version - both cutaways. Unfortunately not at the same store side by side though.

They are both fantastic guitars albeit somewhat "delicate" (in a good way) when compared to my 455ce rosewood limited. They feel very comfortable to me - I've been gravitating more toward smaller guitars in the last few years. Right now, the Jumbo feels rather huge and unwieldy, especially after playing my GC8.

I am mostly a picker and strummer. I do fingerpick on numerous songs but am most comfortable with a Fender Med or Heavy in my right hand. So I was curious (and a little skeptical) as to how the small body short scale 12-fret guitars would work for me and my style of playing.

They were both very responsive - more dynamic than any other 12-string that I've played recently. The differences between the two were subtle and difficult to judge since I couldn't play them side by side. I was amazed at the volume and balanced tone that I could get out of both guitars.

The 562ce with the Mahogany top was probably most appropriate for my style. Although I didn't really rake and hammer it like I can on my Jumbo and other larger spruce topped acoustics, it handled some fairly aggressive strumming and picking with ease. I did notice the slight compression effect on the attack but it was very balanced and clear with much more volume than a guitar of that size should produce.

The 552ce required a little more restraint with strumming although it produced great balance and clarity as well. It should be a bit warmer and mellower but I could not really tell since I played it in a different shop with different room acoustics at a different time. I could easily play this guitar and do pretty much everything I want with it though. I could adapt to the lighter touch required to make the most of it.

Given the choice and for my playing style, I would (will?) go with the 562ce with the Mahogany top for the slight extra headroom and the aesthetics (I love the dark top and edgeburst finish). I hope to own one soon...

Also, I really want the cutaway - especially on a 12 fret guitar. The 562 is a great looking instrument with the traditional shape and I'm sure it plays and sounds every bit as good if not better than the others. I just want access to the upper frets on occasion.

Interesting - my first 12 string was a 1976 (I think) Ovation Pacemaker with the factory pickup that I bought around 1979. Great guitar - I put a lot of miles on it. I finally sold it about 10 years ago after I played (and bought) my first Taylor 12...

Last edited by dbf909; 08-05-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:45 PM

@dbf909: Thanks for the detailed review. I'm going to try to find a store that has both (I don't think I'll be able to find a non-cutaway in a store), and spend some time with them. From the way you've described them, it sounds like the extra headroom that the 562ce offers might make it a better match for my style.

You also make a good point about the cutaway making it easier to access the upper frets (even though I don't spend much time up there, others do). It was more just curiosity on my part to see if the traditional body would have a significant impact on tone (even though I can't imagine that it would).
Old 08-07-2016, 08:50 PM

Definitely try and find a non-cutaway 562 if you can. I can't imagine that it doesn't play and sound anything less than fantastic.

The two 6 string acoustic guitars that trade places as my number one over the last 5 years or so are a Taylor GC8 and a '79 Martin HD-28. Neither of them are cutaways although both are 14 fret neck joints. I work around them both just fine.

I'm trying to put together the $ to pick up the 562ce at my local shop before someone else buys it. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks... I probably will have to sell something.

Best of luck. You really can't go wrong with any of them...
Old 06-04-2017, 06:22 PM

Taylor has just announced the 752ce, with Lutz spruce top and Rosewood back and sides. Same 12-string 12-fret design as the 552 and 562, but with the absolutely gorgeous new 700 appointments (Koa binding, Douglas fir herringbone purfling and mother of pearl inlays). I'd imagine the sound will be lusher and overtonier than the 500 models. Price is only a few hundred extra too...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2017, 05:41 PM

Don't give up that search for an M-36!! I have one and it's the best guitar I own!
Old 11-16-2017, 03:09 PM

To complicate matters even more, Taylor just released a 352 and 362 12 fret 12 string in the same Grand Concert size. the 352 is spruce/sapelle, and the 362 is mahogany/blackwood. Pricing will be significantly lower than the 5 series brethren.

I've played both the 552 and 562, and once played both at the same store. I didn't care for the 562's natural compression and more pronounced mids. However, this would be an outstanding guitar for a rhythm player in an acoustic trio or band, because it wouldn't overpower the way some 12s can.

But I play almost exclusively fingerstyle, and I much preferred the warmer, more resonant sound of the 552's cedar/mahogany combination. There's something about the cedar that tames the 12 string in a really nice way. By all means, try to locate one of these before you buy.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

I bought a 562ce to go with my Hoffman SJ 12-string, which is a guitar that will "fill the room". What I liked about the 562ce is that it doesn't have all the "jingle jangle" of most 12 strings. It's more like having two complementary 6 string guitars playing together. Produces a full, complete sound. Great for a single instrument songs, and so easy to play.

And it's a great guitar for rhythm with mixed picking.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:39 PM

I see that this thread come back to life.

As it happens, I sold my old Ovation 12-string and have listed my Godin A-12 on CL, and decided to focus on 6-strings. Every now and then a 552ce or 562ce shows up in the AGF classifieds, and I just hold my breath until someone else buys it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion