The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases

Old 11-02-2017, 05:49 AM

Default 19 upcoming gigs in Nashville

I've got 19 gigs coming up in Nashville with Tim Rushlow's Big Band at The Nashville Palace in November/December. Should be fun. They're turning the place into a 1965 dinner club complete with red carpet, and the ticket price includes a top shelf dinner and drinks.

I'm looking forward to playing guitar with Tim and the great musicians he has assembled. These guys range from Jeff Coffin of the Dave Matthews Band, to Paul Leim (drummer on tons of hit songs, Return Of The Jedi, etc.), to guys who have recorded/toured with Prince, Elton John, Paul Simon, James Brown, Henry Mancini, etc., etc., etc.

As a guitarist it is a great experience to play with this band. You have to be Guitar George and know all the chords. The charts are like calculus and some are 100 m.p.h. The arrangements are by the likes of Quincy Jones and Nelson Riddle and were done for Sinatra, Dean Martin, etc, back in the day, and the estate of Bobby Darin has given Tim access the Bobby's big band arrangements which haven't been performed live since 1965.

Also, Tim's album which I played on is in the prelims for a Grammy in the Traditional Pop Vocal Category. Hope it makes the final nominee list - we'll know in late November.

If your in Nashville and looking for a good date night, here is the info. We are also playing New Years Eve, but they don't have that listed yet.

Here is an example of one of the charts - note this is sections I, J, and L - these aren't A-B-A-B tunes

Old 11-02-2017, 06:17 AM

Very cool. I'm not in Nashville but wish I was able to check this out.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 11-02-2017, 10:06 AM

I am all in. Great living in Nashville and I look forward to hearing you perform and meeting you.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:23 AM

Yeah man - come say hello. I'm the guy playing arch top

Last edited by 815C; 11-02-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:01 AM

A really nice review from arranger, conductor, Steve Mauldin:

You do NOT want to miss this show. Deborah and I celebrated our 34th wedding anniversary last night at the Tim Rushlow big band show at the Nashville Palace. WOW! WHAT A SHOW. I admit to a personal bias since they did play several of my arrangements from two of Tim's albums, but setting that aside, the BEST brass players in town, coupled with the TIGHTEST rhythm section, including the fabulous Paul Leim on drums and original charts from Nelson Riddle and Quincy Jones just blew the roof off the place. I had so much fun. And yes, Luck be a Lady Tonight DID HAVE Steve Patrick taking that upper line in the solo section playing a screaching Bb. The show features songs by Frank Sinatra, Bobby Darin, Dean Martin all played to perfection by the 24 piece big band. Then in December the show switches to a Christmas show and I am sure Tim will be singing most of the Christmas album we did together. Not only do you not want to miss this show, Nashville NEEDS this type of show to be successful. It employed musicians, it employs us arrangers, and it is a nice alternative from the endless country writers venues where songwriters sing to other songwriters who are waiting their turn to sing to the remaining songwriters who have not left yet. Go see this show. Nashville Palace, across from Opryland Hotel, Friday and Saturday nights and during Christmas, Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. I highly recommend it.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Way to go ... awesome!

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-20-2017, 12:03 PM

Here's a shot of the band...

Old 11-23-2017, 06:57 AM

Another nice review of the gig...

Old 11-23-2017, 08:36 AM

Congrats, sounds like a great show. Looking at that chord chart gives me a headache though!!! I did not think there were more than 3 chords in Nashville

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases