The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-02-2015, 02:11 AM

Question Exercises suitable for home concert setting?

Can you suggest any beginner-level exercises which are not too boring to listen to for other people, but which gradually build experience in scales and solo playing? Any books and video suggestions are welcome, but in essence I need exercises which are easy to memorize and then practice without looking at a screen or sheet.

I am a hobbyist player. I have learned basic rhythm & arpeggio accompaniment from my brother and from some tabs. I have been playing for my friends and family for 15+ years. I have some basic understanding of theory and enough musical ear to pick up some pop/rock songs, and I even wrote a few songs myself (which I am too shy to share).

Still, I have very poor technique, and even a simplest instrumental intro or solo of the kind that often go between verses is beyond my current ability. I remember the basic chords, but naming a specific note on the fret requires mental calculations. I would like to improve this, to bring more life and variety to the songs I play.

Currently, the only opportunity for me to find any time to practice guitar is when I play occasional "home concerts" for my wife and kids. I usually play some of a few dozen songs I remember, which keeps my hands remembering the strings, but doesn't improve the technique much. I could fit in a few technique exercises, but they have to be:
1) easy to memorize, so I can play them without looking up notes
2) pleasant to listen to (not plain scales or 16x repeat patterns)

Hence my question written way up there in the first passage. Can you recommend any pleasantly sounding and at the same time instructional exercises?

I have an acoustic guitar, so not a big fan of bends currently.

My favorite songs come from bands like Pink Floyd, Nirvana, early Radiohead and the like. I am also interested in blues (Jimi Hendrix, The Doors) but it's not the main point. I also play nursery rhymes for my small kids, so something along this line might also fit.

Thank you very much for any suggestions in books, videos or exercises!
Old 10-05-2015, 05:18 PM

Depends on what kind of music you like to play.

I have found that practicing bluegrass licks interspersed with rhythm strumming is educational and musically satisfying once I learn how to make the right space for the lick. Lots of sources for bluegrass licks.

Same with blues licks. Different chord progressions. Licks are easy to find and insert between the chords.

Lots of etudes for fingerstyle are available and lots of easy fingerstyle songs are very nice for practicing while people are around. Fingerstyle etudes and song backups are my favorite solo style for hanging out because they are pleasant to listen to, but don't demand that the listener pay attention. I try to play songs that are not super-popular so that the people around me don't really listen that carefully and cannot tell when I've gone off track.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write