The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-02-2015, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Mainly to help you read the score, and as a guitarist to help finger it. To the right of the slash could be any other note (other than the root note).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-02-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
Technically it means the first inversion of the Dm chord.
i.e Dm is D, F, A - the root position.
1st inversion is F, A, D.
2nd inversion A, D, F.
On a guitar the root inversion often isn't the easiest or most common way to play a chord (Dm, for example!), so I usually take Dm/F to mean a Dm (in whatever form) with an F bass. At least, this is how I understand it.
I think it can also be an instruction for the bass player to play an F while the guitarist/keys is playing a Dm - but I'm not sure about this.
nothing personal but if i was just starting out and read this, all the fun would go out of my balloon.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
It's also worth bearing in mind (confirming tdq's point) that if you see such a chord in a chart of a rock song (or a jazz tune), it means the guitar (and/or keys) plays the chord (before the slash) and the bass player plays the bass note.
I.e., if there's a bass player playing that bass note, you can (and probably should) just play the normal chord. (It's usually a good idea not to double up what the bassist is doing.)
Of course if you're on your own - then you do it yourself (if you can)!
I respectfully disagree. I think changing the chord voicing to match what's written, even with a bassist, adds texture to the changes that would otherwise be lost. Keep in mind that 9 times out of 10 the bass will be an octave lower than the low notes on the guitar chord anyway.

At least that's my take. I do a lot of music direction and when I write a chart out for a guitar player I expect them to play the inversion written because it changes the feel of the song & the motion of the harmony. Some people may differ on that opinion...but I don't think I would say it is something one should avoid.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 10-03-2015, 07:47 PM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
I respectfully disagree. I think changing the chord voicing to match what's written, even with a bassist, adds texture to the changes that would otherwise be lost. Keep in mind that 9 times out of 10 the bass will be an octave lower than the low notes on the guitar chord anyway.

At least that's my take. I do a lot of music direction and when I write a chart out for a guitar player I expect them to play the inversion written because it changes the feel of the song & the motion of the harmony. Some people may differ on that opinion...but I don't think I would say it is something one should avoid.
It depends on the song and on the band, and, if the band, which bass player is playing that day. With the band I play with I would forget the /F because I know our powerhouse bass player is going to carry the day, and wrapping my thumb would just be redundant. But in other settings, other bands, other circumstances you are right.

So when playing solo I just play the normal schnormal Dm and wrap my thumb to get the F note; when I'm playing with the band I let the bassist do his thing.

Last edited by Guest316; 10-03-2015 at 07:48 PM. Reason: korecting speeling eror

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write