The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-26-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Well, I hardly ever use a capo. I don't like putting it on, retuning, playing a song, taking it off, and retuning. Too much of a pain... although I do use one if it's required. Hotel California is super easy without a capo. In fact, I often try to un-capo songs. That is, learn to play songs that often require a capo, without a capo.
You shouldn't need to retune when fitting a capo. Get an adjustable one so you can set the grip light enough, not those horrendous spring ones.

If capos were good enough for the Eagles on HC, they're OK with me.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:01 AM

If you google JamPlay they give you several options for almost any chord including the B minor. This is very helpful on the spot when trying to figure out what chord position someone is playing when it is difficult to see the fingering positions. The nice thing is there usually is a different position for almost any cord if the one they are showing is just too hard at the time.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinhead View Post
About a year ago I was trying to force myself to learn how to play a Bm chord cleanly. For a while I thought I had it licked and then I started having difficulty playing it cleanly again. So instead of being persistent I either started to avoid songs that had a Bm in them or changing the key so I wouldn't have to play a Bm.

This week I rediscovered a song that I have always liked, "Girl From the North Country". It is a simple song with only three chords, and one of those chords happens to be Bm! So I just sat down and played those three chords over and over and over again. I did not sing the lyrics, I just played G Bm C, G Bm C, etc, until the transition from G to Bm sounded good. And then I played it some more. After that I played G Bm C over and over again. Next I started playing "I Shall Be Released" which has the chords A Bm C#m (which is the same as a Bm except it is on the 4th fret) and E7. I played that over and over and over again.

I am feeling really good about the way it is going.

Tomorrow I will do all of that again.

I will not be defeated.
Here's a process that might help. Make an A minor chord with 2nd finger on C, 3rd finger on E and 4th finger on A. Slide all three fingers up two frets. Now set your 1st finger on B, 5th string, 2nd fret. Make sure your left thumb is halfway down at the back of the neck and behind your 2nd finger (3rd fret). Try to press your fingers onto the strings with the pressure on the fretboard and avoid squeezing with your left thumb at the back of the neck. It should only provide balance to your hand. Then play an arpeggiated chord slowly from the 5th string to the 2nd, making sure all the notes sound cleanly. Next, place your first finger as a bar and play the arpeggiated chord from the 6th string to the 1st. You'll probably notice that the tendency to squeeze the neck of the guitar is now much harder to resist. However; it is the tension from squeezing the neck rather than focusing the pressure on your left fingertips that causes problems making all barre chords sound cleanly, including Bm. Learning to focus the pressure of your left hand to your fingertips and avoid squeezing the neck will improve not only your tone but also finger dexterity, co-ordination, and velocity.
Good luck,
Trevor
Old 09-27-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
I don't think simply playing the chord over and over again is the answer.

Make sure the guitar setup is decent, especially at the nut - compare fretting with a capo on the first fret to no capo.
THIS.

I had my 2011 Gibson J45 and my Martin D35 both set up professionally in the last two weeks to get the action lowered in standard tuning and capo-able.

Bmin has always been tough for me, but now? Much much MUCH easier.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Here's a process that might help. Make an A minor chord with 2nd finger on C, 3rd finger on E and 4th finger on A. Slide all three fingers up two frets. Now set your 1st finger on B, 5th string, 2nd fret. Make sure your left thumb is halfway down at the back of the neck and behind your 2nd finger (3rd fret). Try to press your fingers onto the strings with the pressure on the fretboard and avoid squeezing with your left thumb at the back of the neck. It should only provide balance to your hand. Then play an arpeggiated chord slowly from the 5th string to the 2nd, making sure all the notes sound cleanly. Next, place your first finger as a bar and play the arpeggiated chord from the 6th string to the 1st. You'll probably notice that the tendency to squeeze the neck of the guitar is now much harder to resist. However; it is the tension from squeezing the neck rather than focusing the pressure on your left fingertips that causes problems making all barre chords sound cleanly, including Bm. Learning to focus the pressure of your left hand to your fingertips and avoid squeezing the neck will improve not only your tone but also finger dexterity, co-ordination, and velocity.
Good luck,
Trevor
Thank you Trevor, this is an exercise that I will work on. I know that I am applying too much pressure with my thumb.

Kate Wolf

Epiphone Hummingbird Studio
Martin 000-10e
Old 09-29-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Well, I hardly ever use a capo. I don't like putting it on, retuning, playing a song, taking it off, and retuning. Too much of a pain... although I do use one if it's required. Hotel California is super easy without a capo. In fact, I often try to un-capo songs. That is, learn to play songs that often require a capo, without a capo.
I have capos, and don't have a problem with using them, but I honestly barely ever find any sort of use for them. I also sing too.

I just find it too easy to switch keys without ever using a capo. The only time would ever need one, is if i really need to play something that needs some open strings mixed with some fretted notes up the neck a ways, and I need to change the key. Then, ok. But other than that...

For example, it might be cool if you often like playing in A, for that open V root on the low E string, and you want to change it up to B key just so it doesn't always sound like you're in A, or you want something like that, but in a better key for a vocalist or instrument, but by and large, I'm fine in any key any time without ever needing a capo.

It's really not that difficult. There are only 3 basics chord shape positions you need to know for all chords. Minor and major are the two basic ones after that. Then diminished, which is really easy. Dim7 is like 4 chords in one, and augmented is rare.

If you know that, then you can play anything in any key, except for if the piece needs an open string effect.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:35 PM

Many years ago I used to play some songs by Bob Dylan from John Wesley Harding that were in the key of F. I used to struggle holding an F barre chord for long sections of the songs on my Eko Ranger acoustic.

These days I do what Bob did and capo them at the 5th fret, easy peasy and sounds more like the original tracks.

So I do think a capo is very useful.

But to keep on topic I say to the OP to just keep practicing Bm and preferably in the context of a chord sequence from a song or several songs. You will get there eventually.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 10-16-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinhead View Post
About a year ago I was trying to force myself to learn how to play a Bm chord cleanly. For a while I thought I had it licked and then I started having difficulty playing it cleanly again. So instead of being persistent I either started to avoid songs that had a Bm in them or changing the key so I wouldn't have to play a Bm.

This week I rediscovered a song that I have always liked, "Girl From the North Country". It is a simple song with only three chords, and one of those chords happens to be Bm! So I just sat down and played those three chords over and over and over again. I did not sing the lyrics, I just played G Bm C, G Bm C, etc, until the transition from G to Bm sounded good. And then I played it some more. After that I played G Bm C over and over again. Next I started playing "I Shall Be Released" which has the chords A Bm C#m (which is the same as a Bm except it is on the 4th fret) and E7. I played that over and over and over again.

I am feeling really good about the way it is going.

Tomorrow I will do all of that again.

I will not be defeated.

Old thread, I know, but I love that song. I worked on I Want You, this week, another Dylan song that would be simple but for the dreaded Bm. It's not just the barre, it's the stretch of the other 3 that's tough for me.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
Many years ago I used to play some songs by Bob Dylan from John Wesley Harding that were in the key of F. I used to struggle holding an F barre chord for long sections of the songs on my Eko Ranger acoustic.

These days I do what Bob did and capo them at the 5th fret, easy peasy and sounds more like the original tracks.

So I do think a capo is very useful.

But to keep on topic I say to the OP to just keep practicing Bm and preferably in the context of a chord sequence from a song or several songs. You will get there eventually.
Hm...can Simple Twist of Fate and Tangled Up in Blue be done that way?
Old 10-17-2015, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
Hm...can Simple Twist of Fate and Tangled Up in Blue be done that way?
It may be relevant that the whole Blood on the Tracks album was done in open D tuning, with capos for different keys.
http://dylanchords.info/16_bott/simp...st_of_fate.htm
http://dylanchords.info/16_bott/tangled_up_in_blue.htm
Old 10-17-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
It may be relevant that the whole Blood on the Tracks album was done in open D tuning, with capos for different keys.
http://dylanchords.info/16_bott/simp...st_of_fate.htm
http://dylanchords.info/16_bott/tangled_up_in_blue.htm
Ah. Good to know!
Old 10-22-2015, 12:09 PM

Only advice I can offer, is keep practicing it. I will if you will! lol

I still have issues when going from another chord i.e. A, or G to Bm without pausing...
Old 11-11-2015, 01:28 PM

I think this bears repeating -
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
You might also want to learn it as an inside chord (only playing the inside 4 strings while eliminating strings 1 & 6). It's a very balanced sounding chord, and allows quick and clean entry and departure from the Bm.

No need to barre at all, just play the Am chord shape on frets 3-4 and drop the first finger on the 5th string second fret. In fact that chord form will go all up and down the neck serving as a minor chord, just like the barre. It's name comes from the note being played on the 5th string.

And if you are finger picking, the alternate bass is in the same fret as the root on the 5th string only on the 6th string.
Mastering barre chording will take time and requires an understanding of your body geometry to make best use of your arm leverage and so forth.
But Ljguitar's suggestion can really help here. I have trouble with some barre chords and alternatively, I'll play the three note combinations - inside chords - when accompanying someone else in a rhythm role.

For instance, Bm can be accessed instantly by using an Am form, only using the last three fingers of your left hand to allow for a barre with the forefinger. Just don't do the barre yet. Nail the chord with the last three fingers and stick with the inside strings. You'll be building muscle memory for the chord itself independently of the barre. When you want to add the barre, you need not change anything else at all to do it. So this gets you partway down the road very quickly and does not interfere with the later addition of the barre with the forefinger.
Gold Tone open back banjo
Anon. mountain dulcimer
Creaky old Framus 5/1 50
About 1/2 of Guitar One completed; currently intimidating me on account of the neck geometry.
Stacks of mahogany, spruce, maritime rosewood, western red cedar
Expensive sawdust

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write