The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-17-2013, 09:26 AM

Question What is the best Android app for learning the notes on fretboard?

I want to learn guitar notes and even their staff notation. Does anyone know already app that deserve to be used (to be bought)?
Old 03-17-2013, 10:45 AM

I use "Chord!", as yet the only app I've actually paid for I find it especially useful for working out stuff in alternate tunings and modes.

'98 Martin HD-28VR, '98 Bourgeois Martin Simpson European, '98 Collings CJmha
Old 03-18-2013, 05:29 AM

Ive used RR guitar fretboard trainer, but i think its more useful to work it out on the actual guitar so you build a connection between the notes in your head and the notes on your fingers, if that makes any sense.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:02 AM

Yes, the app is for memorisation the notes. Every time when the app asks me a note I repeat it in my mind. I think it is a easy way to learning the notes (5-10 minutes each day is enough). The second step is practice with real guitar, but it is more easy because I already know the position of the notes in my mind and I train only my fingers memory. I have tried some demo apps. I think I have found what I need now. This app has more features than others (for exemple staff notation that I want to learn too). The app has even ear training, different guitar sounds, many types of questions for training and customizable alternate tunings. This is "Guitar Note Trainer" on google play. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tarnotetrainer
Old 10-05-2015, 03:41 PM

Default Android app for learning the fretboard

I've always wanted to learn the fretboard but never got very far. I took some lessons a few years ago and my instructor knew every note. He would talk to me about notes to play over different chords and tell me what he was playing, but most of it just went by too fast for me to get much out of it. So recently I started using an android app called Frets-101G. It's available on the google play store. There are actually lots of apps there that help memorize the fretboard, some of which I also tried, and they all do basically the same thing. I like the app because it lets you learn all the notes by fret or string for free. Some others I tried only give you the first 5 frets, or some other combination of frets and strings, then you have to pay to learn everything. It's actually helping me learn the notes, although I agree that there is no substitute for holding the guitar in your hands. Still it's good for learning when you have some time but no guitar. The app also allows you to learn the names of notes in different chords and scales if you upgrade (for a dollar), which I think is going to come in handy later on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write