The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-31-2014, 10:37 PM

Default Fingerstyle, scratching sound on lower strings

I typically play with my palm muting on the bridge. In those instances when I need to pick the lower strings with my index or ring fingers, I get a scratching sound.... "reaching" for the string causes the pluck to run along the windings. I can think of a few things that might help, but what would you suggest? Thanks!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:29 PM

Tilt your fingers more perpendicular to the strings.

Chris
Old 08-03-2014, 09:01 PM

Your thumb should be handling virtually everything on the three lowest wound strings, especially if you're palm muting. Any other way seems terribly awkward.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallywag View Post
Your thumb should be handling virtually everything on the three lowest wound strings, especially if you're palm muting. Any other way seems terribly awkward.
Thumb covers the bass strings nearly always. But I'm working on a piece in Saslow's ragtime book, has a few instances of pinching 6 & 4 at the same time, and in the same passages has single plucks on 5; easier on the right hand to play sixth string with thumb, fifth and fourth strings with index and ring respectively.

I've found that bending my wrist at an angle, just a bit, when needed does the trick. A little extra stress but it doesn't hurt. Toughest part is remembering to do it.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBJones View Post
Thumb covers the bass strings nearly always. But I'm working on a piece in Saslow's ragtime book, has a few instances of pinching 6 & 4 at the same time, and in the same passages has single plucks on 5; easier on the right hand to play sixth string with thumb, fifth and fourth strings with index and ring respectively.

I've found that bending my wrist at an angle, just a bit, when needed does the trick. A little extra stress but it doesn't hurt. Toughest part is remembering to do it.
Hi MrBJ...

As a teacher there are times I just close my eyes and enjoy what people play because they have discovered ways of playing things which may not be 'pretty' but they work musically.

I have one student who looks like they are playing 'catch up' all the time and it makes me nervous to watch them. But they are spot on, and very musical sounding. Time to close the eyes...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write