The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-28-2014, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Default Advice on some D slash chords and G-Bm chord change

I'm learning to play a song I like called Falling Again that was recorded by Chris Hillman in the late 70's. On the chorus of the song for the tab I found for it, there is a chord progression that is as follows:

D - D/C - D/B - D/A - D

I'm not sure how to finger the chords with the C, B, and A notes added as slash notes. Can anyone offer any ideas? I've been playing the following as a substitute:

D - Dsus2 - Dsus4 - Dsus2 - D

That progression actually sounds OK with the song but I'd like to master the first progression to compare.

There is also a G - Bm chord progression on a bridge section of the song. I am using a standard G major chord to the barre Bm chord (Am shape). That seems to be the most logical progression but I'd love to hear any advice that might make it easier. I have not tried a barre G major to a barre Bm yet but that may work pretty good also.

Thanks for any advice!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 07-28-2014, 07:49 AM

The slash notes are bass notes. so play a conventional D chord then add the C on the fifth string, then the B on the fifth string and then the open A string. Like this

Code:
D                  D/C               D/B               D/A 

E╓─2───────────────┬─2───────────────┬─2───────────────┬─2───────────────┐
B╟─3───────────────┼─3───────────────┼─3───────────────┼─3───────────────┤
G╟─2───────────────┼─2───────────────┼─2───────────────┼─2───────────────┤
D╟─0───────────────┼─0───────────────┼─0───────────────┼─0───────────────┤
A╟─────────────────┼─3───────────────┼─2───────────────┼─0───────────────┤
E╙─────────────────┴─────────────────┴─────────────────┴─────────────────┘
There are various ways of fingering these shapes. I find I do a complete change of fingering to get the D/B but you should use whatever feels natural. Your open G to barre Bm sounds fine.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:01 AM

The slash chords are indicating a line played on the bass guitar (D-C-B-A) while the guitar just plays a D chord.
It's the overall effect that gets notated as a row of slash chords.

But if you want to incorporate that line on one guitar, try the following:
Code:
-2---2---2---2------
-3---3---3---3------
-2---3---2---2------
-0--(0)-(0)-(0)-----
-----3---2---0------
--------------------
If you fret the first D chord with index, pinky and middle, the ring reaches over for the C bass.
You then need to switch fingering for the D/B: pinky stays on 2nd string, while index flips to 5th string, middle and ring going to 3rd and 1st. The index then lifts for the last chord (the rest can stay).
(It doesn't much matter with the last 3 chords if the 4th string is muted or not.)

EDIT: ah, stanron got there first!

BTW, for the G-Bm, I'd probably just play open G to barre Bm on fret 2, like you.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Code:

E╓─2───────────────┬─2───────────────┬─2───────────────┬─2───────────────┐
B╟─3───────────────┼─3───────────────┼─3───────────────┼─3───────────────┤
G╟─2───────────────┼─2───────────────┼─2───────────────┼─2───────────────┤
D╟─0─────────────────────────────────|───────────────────────────────────|
A╟─────────────────┼─3───────────────┼─2───────────────┼─0───────────────┤
E╙─────────────────┴─────────────────┴─────────────────┴─────────────────┘
Almost like stanron posted above but leave out the open D when the bass walks down. You barre the top three frets with the index finger (barre top five strings just for the low B).
If you want the top three D chord notes ringing out steadily without pause you can barre the top five strings constantly and walk down from the low D to the low A on the 5th and 6th bass strings.

On the G to Bm the regular open G sounds best (especially if strumming that chord) but use the first three fingers on the chord, not the pinky.
You can let go of the G chord early (there will still be ringing open strings when you let go) to make it to the Bm in time.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 07-28-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Like stanron posted above but of course you barre the top three frets with the index finger.
Hmm, makes the D/B tricky, though?
Old 07-28-2014, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Hmm, makes the D/B tricky, though?
Naturally I meant no open D string on the walk down (does not make much musical sense anyway). See my amended post diagram about the open D string. Then quite easy really.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
The slash chords are indicating a line played on the bass guitar (D-C-B-A) while the guitar just plays a D chord.
It's the overall effect that gets notated as a row of slash chords.

But if you want to incorporate that line on one guitar, try the following:
Code:
-2---2---2---2------
-3---3---3---3------
-2---3---2---2------
-0--(0)-(0)-(0)-----
-----3---2---0------
--------------------
If you fret the first D chord with index, pinky and middle, the ring reaches over for the C bass.
You then need to switch fingering for the D/B: pinky stays on 2nd string, while index flips to 5th string, middle and ring going to 3rd and 1st. The index then lifts for the last chord (the rest can stay).
(It doesn't much matter with the last 3 chords if the 4th string is muted or not.)

EDIT: ah, stanron got there first!

BTW, for the G-Bm, I'd probably just play open G to barre Bm on fret 2, like you.
I sat down with the guitar after I posted this and worked out the above technique you suggest except I am playing the open D string in all three slash chords. It sounds better that way to me.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I sat down with the guitar after I posted this and worked out the above technique you suggest except I am playing the open D string in all three slash chords. It sounds better that way to me.
Sure - if you can fit it in it's fine. I just meant if the finger on the 5th string happens to mute the 4th, no big deal.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:33 AM

As usual, there are different ways to do this. Here's the way I normally do it: use the index finger to barre the top three strings at the second fret. Fret the 2nd string, third fret with my ring finger. Then I'm free to reach my middle finger down to the fifth string, third fret for D/C and fifth string second fret for D/B. (I can even get D/Bb this way by rolling my hand over a little bit, but that one is tough..) (and then I have to spend the next five minutes untangling the knot I made in my fingers...)
Old 07-28-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobby View Post
As usual, there are different ways to do this. Here's the way I normally do it: use the index finger to barre the top three strings at the second fret. Fret the 2nd string, third fret with my ring finger. Then I'm free to reach my middle finger down to the fifth string, third fret for D/C and fifth string second fret for D/B. (I can even get D/Bb this way by rolling my hand over a little bit, but that one is tough..) (and then I have to spend the next five minutes untangling the knot I made in my fingers...)
Here's Django Reinhardt demonstrating that very problem:
Old 07-28-2014, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

I've tried both the barre chord and alternate fingering approaches above and have had some partial success with each so I'll just have to practice it now. I also tried to see if I could wrap my thumb over the neck to reach the A string but it's not long enough!

Thanks again for the advice!
Old 07-28-2014, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I've tried both the barre chord and alternate fingering approaches above and have had some partial success with each so I'll just have to practice it now. I also tried to see if I could wrap my thumb over the neck to reach the A string but it's not long enough!

Thanks again for the advice!
Just be aware there are alternatives. Play the version that you play cleaner and more reliably for a given situation. For example I often use the three string barre to keep the ring and pinky fingers free to fret other notes (say the melody line or other embellishment.)

Old 07-28-2014, 05:56 PM

There are lots of ways to play a phrase like this. I do both the barre and the three finger D shape but I also did this when checking my fingering

Code:

E╓─────────────────────────────────┐
B╟─────3───────3───────3────────3──┤
G╟─────2───────2───────2────────2──┤
D╟─0───────────────────────────────┤
A╟─────────3───────2────────0──────┤
E╙─────────────────────────────────┘
The first string is muted by the finger on the second. I've no idea if the song goes like this but you might like to try it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write