The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-20-2014, 12:57 PM

Default my playability development.

For about the good 6 in a half months I`ve been trying to get my own sound going. And so far i have been quite successful with scales and modes. as for my chord progression, well..... that`s another story. I know what i want, but i know how to do think outside of the box and play unique chords. Can anyone help if possible.

I`m try too keep it with 2 semitones intervals with a 3 note chord. Also develop chords between these chords and 4th chords like C#4 or Fb4.

Does any know how to do this If so can you please help. Thank you.

Last edited by OliverN3RD; 07-20-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverN3RD View Post
For about the good 6 in a half months I`ve been trying to get my own sound going. And so far i have been quite successful with scales and modes. as for my chord progression, well..... that`s another story. I know what i want, but i know how to do think outside of the box and play unique chords. Can anyone help if possible.

I`m try too keep it with 2 semitones intervals with a 3 note chord. Also develop chords between these chords and 4th chords like C#4 or Fb4.

Does any know how to do this If so can you please help. Thank you.
It's a little hard to follow your question.

Firstly, there's no such chords as "C#4" and "Fb4".
I guess you mean "Cadd#4", but I don't know what "Fb4" is referring to.
Fb with added 4th? Or F with an added b4?
Fb = E, so that would be Eadd4.
OTOH, a b4 interval is the same as a major 3rd, so "add b4" makes no sense (except just maybe on a minor chord).

Also, there's no such thing as "unique chords". Not that will sound any good anyway. If you can find a chord that sounds good, I guarantee it will not be truly unique - someone else will have found it before you.
Of course, it still might be uncommon, or weird, which should be enough.

Essentially, you can trust your ear with this. Use the common chords you know already, and look for chromatic transitions between them: ie, any kind of half-step move, up or down, between a note in one chord and the nearest note in the next chord. You will discover plenty of orthodox chords this way (alterations of the normal chords, or unusual transition chords), but many of them will be new to you, and may well be interesting and strange enough.
You can, of course, also experiment with adding any note you choose to any chord. There are no rules, other than what you think sounds good.

Naturally, if you find a chord you think is unique and sounds good, we'd be happy to name it for you.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:21 AM

There are suspended fourth chords...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspended_chord
I love the way they sound. But as was stated, there really isn't anything that someone, often jazz players, haven't already come up with...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_chords
Old 07-22-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingoccc View Post
There are suspended fourth chords...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspended_chord
I love the way they sound. But as was stated, there really isn't anything that someone, often jazz players, haven't already come up with...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_chords
Thank you for this link. This is a very great start. I can experiment with this until i get what i need out of this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write