The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 05-22-2017, 07:57 PM

Default 1992 Taylor 612c, Florentine. Last reduction - $Sold!!!

I decided to sell this 25year-old cool guitar. Plays and sounds great!
No repairs or cracks lot's of mojo. I have my eye on something else so big price drop! Reduced $ONHOLD + shipping. PayPal preferred.

1992 Taylor 612c ( custom options)
Florentine cut
1 7/8 nut
Player Grade

When i purchased this guitar I tried to i write a full honest evaluation to the best of my ability. I will include that below but first some photos:

I encourage buyers to visit my blog and click on the full size images for close-ups. I tried my best to capture good images but I'm not a photo pro. Please PM me if you would like any other close-ups or more details. http://mfolio.foliothemes.com/myport...lor-612c-1992/

Here is my review and details:
  • Pre- NT neck - I find this neck really easy to play and, dare I say, it seems smoother and a little thinner than the newer NT necks Very nice.
  • Custom 1 7/8 nut with. I'm use to playing 1.75 nut but this doesn't seem to be an issue. Maybe because the neck is a thin c-shape.
  • very nice 600 series fret markers inlays, abalone rosette, and bound neck (some yellowing ).
  • Taylor bone saddle
  • Custom Florentine Cutaway ( I am a sucker for these... so nice!)
  • Solid maple back and sides, solid spruce top, bound neck.
  • 25.5 scale (Taylor didn't offer short scale back then. They were started later on 12 series after the NT necks were introduced).
  • Nitrocellulose lacquer finish (I believe Taylor switched to poly in the mid 90's)
  • Custom wood key heads on the tuners. Not sure if these came as a factory upgrade or added later but the original metal buttons are in the case. They look nice but i think i would prefer black with a black truss rod cover. I may change at some point unless it grows on me.
  • Tuners seem to be Schallers. These work really well and I like them a lot. I like these better than on my newer Taylor. That was a surprise.
  • There is a bit of crazing on the front and a little elsewhere. Doesn't seem to affect anything and to me it adds a little vintage mojo.
  • There is a spot of buckle rash but nothing unexpected for a well played 25 year old guitar but pretty minor.
  • The top and sides have that natural toner aged coloring. People pay extra for that these days with the baked tops. This was earned and IMO very nice.
  • Pick guard: I received this guitar with a pick guard but it didn't look factory. It was the right shape but looked hand cut in a few spots. It seem barely secured so I lifted the edge and it practically fell right off. No tan line but a few scrapes.... so psyched! I think it looks so much better without the pick guard and was pleased with it coming off. I suspect the pick guard was added later to cover some scrapes or maybe by an owner that picked harder wanted to add a little more protection. None the less... it looks great without it.
  • According to Taylor this came out of the shop with a Fishmann under-saddle pickup. This has been removed somewhere along the way. There are 2 end pins jacks installed for a dual system. The system was previously removed but it is ready to accept electronics. While I would prefer it didn't have 2 jacks, they look to be installed professional and not a issue. Ready for any system you want to throw at it.
  • I would say this was a player's guitar. It has been played but apparently placed with care as the body has just a few small digs but nothing major. The head stock looks like it has had clip tuners clipped to it with some finish chips and scratches. There are a fair amount of scrapes on the head stock and the finish is worn in spots. Nothing structural but the finish has play wear and crazing. Overall structurally good as far as I can tell, plays really well, sounds great and generally a cool guitar with lots of mojo!
  • Original deluxe hard shell arch-top Taylor case. A couple of buckles are broken off and the case looks like it has been places and done it's job.

Sounds great for the small body size and is comfortable under your arm. This may be due to the regular scale length. Incredible for both finger picking and strumming - well broken-in opened up old woods. Apparently back in '92, Bob Taylor picked very carefully for the best of the best tone woods. Not sure how true that is but that was the pitch when I bought it and the wood looks good to me. The label is on inside neck heel and signed by Bob Taylor.
Martin 000-18 GE 1937 SB
Martin 00-15E Retro
Taylor GS Mini Hog

Last edited by Mrklandry; 06-04-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Wink

I had a 1993 612-C, that I bought new. This is the vintage that put Taylor on the map! They sound & play great!
Steve
Old 05-24-2017, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
I had a 1993 612-C, that I bought new. This is the vintage that put Taylor on the map! They sound & play great!
Steve
Thanks for the comment. It really does sound and play great!
Martin 000-18 GE 1937 SB
Martin 00-15E Retro
Taylor GS Mini Hog
Old 05-24-2017, 06:59 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

That's a classy looking older Taylor. very cool

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 05-24-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
That's a classy looking older Taylor. very cool
Thanks! It is pretty cool guitar.
Martin 000-18 GE 1937 SB
Martin 00-15E Retro
Taylor GS Mini Hog
Old 05-24-2017, 07:06 PM

I own a 93 612-C. Excellent tone and the easiest playing guitar I have ever owned. These 90's Taylors are genuinely special. For Taylor fans it really doesn't get much better than this. Good luck with the sale - I know it's cliche, but someone WILL be very happy to take over ownership of this guitar.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock View Post
I own a 93 612-C. Excellent tone and the easiest playing guitar I have ever owned. These 90's Taylors are genuinely special. For Taylor fans it really doesn't get much better than this. Good luck with the sale - I know it's cliche, but someone WILL be very happy to take over ownership of this guitar.
Thanks for the comment. Just reduced!!
Martin 000-18 GE 1937 SB
Martin 00-15E Retro
Taylor GS Mini Hog
Old 05-25-2017, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

This is a nice looking '90s Taylor. One of my favorite Taylors ever was a mid 90s dread, but that was before I could afford one (810). I've played a quite a few 600s over the years, mostly the GAs - but the tone has always seemed variable on these models, meaning the different versions (years and body shapes) have seemed ever-changing.

How would you characterize this guitar tone wise? Is it leaning toward the higher mid range like the previous generation 614s (I have never played a recent 612)? And def have not played a 90s model.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 05-25-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroberts View Post
This is a nice looking '90s Taylor. One of my favorite Taylors ever was a mid 90s dread, but that was before I could afford one (810). I've played a quite a few 600s over the years, mostly the GAs - but the tone has always seemed variable on these models, meaning the different versions (years and body shapes) have seemed ever-changing.

How would you characterize this guitar tone wise? Is it leaning toward the higher mid range like the previous generation 614s (I have never played a recent 612)? And def have not played a 90s model.
Well that's a tough one.. I think it has very good string separation and good clarity that you would find with maple. Having a regular scale, it seems to have more volume and cleaner tone than the later model concert size short scales which gives it a bigger footprint for a smaller body. Response is focused and direct.. I would say it's not heavy midrange. Being a smaller concert size body it is more even balanced tone from bass to treble compared to a larger body that may have a heavier bass response. I think fingerstyle, note separation, direct response, clear, but with the regular scale it adds volume and head room. This also lends it to being able to handle a pick well too.

Hopefully that helps.

Maybe some other players could chime in.
Martin 000-18 GE 1937 SB
Martin 00-15E Retro
Taylor GS Mini Hog
Old 05-26-2017, 04:39 PM

Had some interest but no takers yet. Maybe this price drop will be more tempting... I have my eye on something so looking to rotate a few guitars.
Martin 000-18 GE 1937 SB
Martin 00-15E Retro
Taylor GS Mini Hog
Old 05-28-2017, 07:53 AM

Weekend bump.
Martin 000-18 GE 1937 SB
Martin 00-15E Retro
Taylor GS Mini Hog
Old 05-29-2017, 06:58 AM

Last price reduction and price is now firm. This guitar sounds great. 48hr inspection period less shipping.
Martin 000-18 GE 1937 SB
Martin 00-15E Retro
Taylor GS Mini Hog
Old 05-30-2017, 03:23 PM

Sweet sounding Taylor still available
Martin 000-18 GE 1937 SB
Martin 00-15E Retro
Taylor GS Mini Hog
Old 05-31-2017, 07:49 PM

Bump Tom the top.
Martin 000-18 GE 1937 SB
Martin 00-15E Retro