The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-25-2017, 01:47 PM

Well shoot. My TD says ERR now.

My SD card says its FAT16. Is that the reason? I don't seem to have a way to format it as FAT32 on my Mac.

Last edited by midwinter; 05-25-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:54 PM

I just went out and bought an 8 GB PNY SD card for $5. It was FAT32 right out of the blister pack. But I can't guarantee your Mac would be able to read or write to such a card.

But you'd probably only be out a few bucks.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:10 PM

Default ToneDexter - new firmware release

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
I just went out and bought an 8 GB PNY SD card for $5. It was FAT32 right out of the blister pack. But I can't guarantee your Mac would be able to read or write to such a card.

I'll have to try that. I have three gigs this weekend and need me some ToneDexter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2017, 09:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post

Macs can indeed read and write FAT32, so this approach will work. I'm not quite sure how to instruct someone to format a card on the Mac for FAT32 if it's not already that. We're investigating this question.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 05-25-2017, 09:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
I'll have to try that. I have three gigs this weekend and need me some ToneDexter.

If that doesn't work, you're fallback strategy would be to revert back to V1.00 by downloading those files from our site, putting them on your FAT16 card, and load them into TD. That should restore the V1.00 system to working.

The problem is that one of the files (app.bin) can only be read from a FAT32 card, the other one (dsp.bin) works from either FAT16 or FAT32. The third file (.txt), is non-essential.

So, from a FAT16 card, only one of the two files gets updated, and when they don't match, the system will display ERR.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 05-25-2017, 10:04 PM

Thanks, James! It's restored back to 1.00. I'll grab a PC or a FAT32 card tomorrow.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:10 AM

It's been a few years since I used a Mac regularly, but as I recall, all disk formatting is done with the "Disk Utility" application, in the "Utilities" folder inside "Applications."

Sometimes, however, it's necessary (or at least it was in the past) to purchase third-party extensions that allow your Mac to read and/or format certain filesystems, like NTFS.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:26 PM

Default You can indeed format an SD card for FAT32 on a mac.

Hi. You can indeed format an SD card for FAT32 on a mac. Go to Finder, Applications, Utilities, and run "Disk Utility". Find the SD card on the side panel (make sure you've selected the SD Card), go to the top and select "Erase". You'll be presented with a popup which lets you name the card and set the format to "MSDOS (FAT 32)". If it only lets you select FAT, go ahead and select that. Although mine showed a selection for FAT 32 in the menu, it was greyed out. But, I went ahead with the process anyway and it ended up formatting the card FAT 32. You can check the format by selecting Info on the upper bar - it will show: FILE SYSTEM MSDOS FAT 32.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:11 PM

James:

Grabbed a new SD card and the update went flawlessly. Sound is great and the UI improvements are welcome.

As for formatting the card on my Mac: for some reason, neither of the two older cards I had around the house would format to FAT32; disk utility never gave me the option, and even the command line wouldn't allow me to. The card was very old (1GB!), though, so that was likely the issue.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
I'm not quite sure how to instruct someone to format a card on the Mac for FAT32 if it's not already that. We're investigating this question.
1.Open Disk Utility. To do this, click on the magnifying glass in the top-right corner of your computer screen. Type “disk utility” in the search box that opens, then click on the “Disk Utility” Application that comes up.
2.Find the SD card in the left side of the window. It’ll be named something like NO NAME or UNTITLED.
3.Click the ERASE tab in the middle of the window.
4.Next, click on the Format dropdown menu. Select MS-DOS (FAT) if the card is 32 GB or smaller. If it’s a 64GB card, please select ExFAT.
5.A message will appear asking, “Are you sure you want to erase the partition “[YOUR SD CARD NAME]?” Click Erase. The computer will delete the contents of your SD card and format it. You’re all done.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
1.Open Disk Utility. To do this, click on the magnifying glass in the top-right corner of your computer screen. Type “disk utility” in the search box that opens, then click on the “Disk Utility” Application that comes up.
2.Find the SD card in the left side of the window. It’ll be named something like NO NAME or UNTITLED.
3.Click the ERASE tab in the middle of the window.
4.Next, click on the Format dropdown menu. Select MS-DOS (FAT) if the card is 32 GB or smaller. If it’s a 64GB card, please select ExFAT.
5.A message will appear asking, “Are you sure you want to erase the partition “[YOUR SD CARD NAME]?” Click Erase. The computer will delete the contents of your SD card and format it. You’re all done.
I'm looking for some help. I have a mac and a 32 GB SD card. I followed all the instructions above (thank you for posting!!). I selected MS-DOS and erased, dragged the firmware update files onto the SD card...and when I plug the SD card in my TD-I don't get the updating code. It starts up normally, not looking at the SD card. Any thoughts??
Old 05-26-2017, 04:11 PM

How old is the card?
Old 05-26-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
How old is the card?
It arrived today, I purchased the card from Amazon...it was the card that was on the link in this forum thread.

I don't believe the files are going on the SD card, because when I look at storage capacity it states 31.92!

Is it a situation where you just download from TD website, save in a folder on desktop, and drag onto the SD card? That's what I have done, I know I'm doing something wrong...can't seem to figure it out!

Thoughts?
Old 05-26-2017, 04:55 PM

Weird. Does the card work?

Also: right click on the card and select "get info" and see if it says FAT32 or FAT16
Old 05-26-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Weird. Does the card work?

Also: right click on the card and select "get info" and see if it says FAT32 or FAT16
Umm...it appears to be a functional card. It does say FAT, but not 32 after FAT. Capacity states 31.91. When I look at usage on the SD card under "other" it states over 600KB usage, so it appears something is on this SD card. I wasn't sure if I have to "unzip" any of the files? I'm not sure what's happening with me and this process, but now I'm determined to get it to work!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification