The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-17-2017, 10:08 PM

Does you'd friend want a broken Crate Taxi 15? It broke when the battery died. I can't get it to reawake with a fresh battery. If your friend wants to try his hand at fixing it, I'll give it to him scot free.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
First I'd tell you that no one owes you an affordable answer. It costs to get in what it costs to get in.

Then I'd run you through some options that look good but are chances, not promised good.

Here's the first:

https://www.amazon.com/Sunburst-Gear...te+acoustics+a

It looks good, has 48v phantom and is built by a company that produces well reviewed, professional product. It has no reverb and I didn't look to see if it has an FX loop. Its the right price though.

Here's a second option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alesis-Trans...oAAOSwI-BWPhyf

Again no reverb but its way better than a Micro cube. This I've heard and its reasonable. Closer to the AC33, with better bass than the AC33 and its $99.

Here's another option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K2-Energy-10...0AAOSwhQhY3iY7

With this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ter-66814.html

And something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine12V-1...kAAOSwSv1Xlh~e

For plugging in this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-Troub...YAAOSwX9FZGE~U

Or better, this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-Troub...QAAOSwdjNZBpVU

Fourth option:

Same battery system as above and buy a used Bugera AC60 for $169 or so. Would come in at $350 and run for around 2.5 hours on battery.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUGERA-AC60-...IAAOSw32lYudGO

Remember that the AC33 is a $400 amp.
So, if I go down the Ibanez or bugera route, I would need the inverter, the motorcycle charger and would I need a separate battery? Would any car or motorcycle battery do? I'm assuming the motorcycle charger is for the battery. If I go this route, would I need something to place the battery on? I thought I had heard before you can't just put a car battery directly on the ground.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:39 PM

I posted a link to $120 K2 energy lithium iron battery. Its included in the final prices I posted too. Third option, first link.

You put the battery in a case, put the inverter and the charger in separate compartments of that case, or another case.

If you're only planning on playing for 2.5 hours, leave the charger at home.

The charger I posted runs at a 10 amp charge rate. Will charge the K2 energy (a professional lithium iron with a solid BMS system in it and it's brand new) battery in 1.2 hours. Play for 2 hours, charge for 1, play again for 2.

Charge at the Starbucks. Never short it though, not even for a millisecond.

Looks a little like this. My battery is 4x the size of the K2 battery I posted for you. My inverter is about 3x bigger than the one I posted for you as well:

Last edited by dannyg1; 05-17-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:39 AM
Charter Member

This is an absolute game changer from Elite Acoustics. I have the both smaller A1BR8 with effects and the M3BR8 from the Sunburst Gear division without effects. Ultra portable with studio monitor quality sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8lxs6jLya4
Old 05-18-2017, 05:31 AM

Indeed a game changer. I'll try that in about a week. Can't wait
Old 05-18-2017, 06:02 AM

I am getting absolutely wonderful battery powered sound at mid to low volumes using a Roland Street Cube EX with replacement Jensen speakers and a Boss VE-8 processing my guitar and vocals. My maximum volume is limited, but up to that point the sound is stellar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2017, 09:41 AM

Dogdog49, what's the price on the Elite Acoustics amps? There are three of them I think, 5.25"-10", right?
Old 05-18-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Does you'd friend want a broken Crate Taxi 15? It broke when the battery died. I can't get it to reawake with a fresh battery. If your friend wants to try his hand at fixing it, I'll give it to him scot free.
Thank you very much for the offer. I will ask him, but I get the feeling that neither one of us would be able to get it going. Thank you though.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdog49 View Post
This is an absolute game changer from Elite Acoustics. I have the both smaller A1BR8 with effects and the M3BR8 from the Sunburst Gear division without effects. Ultra portable with studio monitor quality sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8lxs6jLya4

That looks really nice. Perhaps something for him to upgrade to in a few years.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I am getting absolutely wonderful battery powered sound at mid to low volumes using a Roland Street Cube EX with replacement Jensen speakers and a Boss VE-8 processing my guitar and vocals. My maximum volume is limited, but up to that point the sound is stellar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So are you saying it is the replacement Jensen speaker is an improvement over the speaker that came with the street cube?
Old 05-18-2017, 10:34 AM

Some issues have been brought up that, in order to know whether a small AA battery powered amp can work, need to be answered.

Do you sing and play or just play?
If you sing, are you a loud singer? Are you a whisper to a scream kind of singer (like Chris Cornell was)?
Where's your intended location? Large space, open street, subway, bar? City, small town, in a park? Other buskers near?
is the dual use of an AC powered amp that can work both with a battery when needed and cover a bar gig when it needs to important for you?
What time of day/night are you planning for?
How long do you need battery power to cover?

I'm sure there are more concerns to cover but these questions will help greatly. Many people here play gigs like farmers markets and enjoy a kind of quiet that's very much different than city, or subway playing and their needs are covered with far less power. If I were trying to gauge whether a tiny amp could work, I'd be sure to think about how limiting its max output would be, in terms of where I could successfully play. A more powerful amp can play almost anywhere.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Some issues have been brought up that, in order to know whether a small AA battery powered amp can work, need to be answered.

Do you sing and play or just play?
If you sing, are you a loud singer? Are you a whisper to a scream kind of singer (like Chris Cornell was)?
Where's your intended location? Large space, open street, subway, bar? City, small town, in a park? Other buskers near?
is the dual use of an AC powered amp that can work both with a battery when needed and cover a bar gig when it needs to important for you?
What time of day/night are you planning for?
How long do you need battery power to cover?

I'm sure there are more concerns to cover but these questions will help greatly. Many people here play gigs like farmers markets and enjoy a kind of quiet that's very much different than city, or subway playing and their needs are covered with far less power. If I were trying to gauge whether a tiny amp could work, I'd be sure to think about how limiting its max output would be, in terms of where I could successfully play. A more powerful amp can play almost anywhere.
Thank you for asking the questions that I wouldn't even know to ask.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:18 PM

As with all of these things... it depends....

I have and still use a Cube street, the original one. Light, louder than you'd expect and decent sounding. Running a guitar. (Tak) and mic no problem as long as the ambient noise (traffic, whatever) is not too bad.

But.. if I'm doing something like a fair, bigger open spaces, stalls, people roaming about I run a deep cycle battery/inverter with a Roland AC 60, Tak, mic and an old Boss pedalboard. I may, if I'm feeling flush at some point upgrade the AC60 to a powered speaker. But that's a maybe down the road.

I can also (and have) added a small mixer to run two guitars/mics. A Yammy MG10, but the Zed 10 would be a little better, and bigger. This is also where a powered speaker (8 or 10") would be better.

So it depends...

Kris
Old 05-18-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb fingertips View Post
So are you saying it is the replacement Jensen speaker is an improvement over the speaker that came with the street cube?
Yes. I found the original speakers lacking, especially in the low and low mid frequencies. It doesn't help it go louder. It just fills out the sound. The VE-8 helps a lot there as well.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2017, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Dogdog49, what's the price on the Elite Acoustics amps? There are three of them I think, 5.25"-10", right?
I find the prices vary a bit, but Amazon has both the M3BR8 (Sunburst Gear) and the A1BR8 (Elite Acoustics) for $349.00. If you don't want the on-board effects the M1BR3 is pretty much the same amp as the A1BR8 for $249.00. I was worried the 4" woofer on those two wouldn't handle the low C tuning I often use but it handles it beautifully, and some of the on-board reverbs are as good as any I've heard. The big A4BR8 with the 8" woofer plus effects (that's the largest amp they make) I've seen priced anywhere from $550.00 to $650.00. I think if you don't want the on-board effects the M3BR8 with the 5.5" woofer hits the sweet-spot for price and portability. Plus these are as good as fine studio monitors for playing music, the bluetooth connectivity is great, it's super simple to daisy chain them for stereo and the guitar reproduction is at least as good (maybe better) as my Compact 60 and my Fender SFX. It looks like I'll be selling those two.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification