The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-09-2017, 05:37 AM

Default Trance Amulet M Output?

For those of you with Trance Amulet M systems, I'm curious to know how he output gain compares with other pickups?

I have compared my Trance Amulet M-VT with the K&K Pre phase and the ES2. Both are much hotter than my Trance. I want to gauge the possibility of installation error or a preamp gain issue. The gain is certainly usable, but there is disparity between my guitars.

Perhaps Gary can chime in?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-09-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Over the past 40 years, I have tried nearly every affordable pickup system for the acoustic guitar... being a performing singer/songwriter, working in bars, restaurants and coffee houses, I really need something that's reliable and consistent, from night to night... so I've tried a bunch of 'em!

Without exception, EVERY pickup has different signal strength... I've learned not to judge the pickup by its output, but by its performance and tone. I would suggest you do the same with the Trance system. I have not used one, but I did own a FRAP system back in the late 70's that was very nice (I had the cheaper version w/ the little red preamp), and I recall that the signal strength was not nearly as strong as the good old Barcus Berry pickup I had been using prior to the FRAP.

Currently, I have the Anthem SL intwo guitars (one 6 string and one 12 string) and I like the amplified sound just fine... I have a K&K in another 6 string, and its output is FAR STRONGER than the Anthem, but they each work just fine.

Before you get all worried about the install or premap settings on your Trance, put it through its paces and see how it sounds... obviously, adjust your input gain settings correctly for the Trance.

I'm guessing you'll find that the Trance system performs wonderfully, low signal output or no...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 05-09-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Over the past 40 years, I have tried nearly every affordable pickup system for the acoustic guitar... being a performing singer/songwriter, working in bars, restaurants and coffee houses, I really need something that's reliable and consistent, from night to night... so I've tried a bunch of 'em!

Without exception, EVERY pickup has different signal strength... I've learned not to judge the pickup by its output, but by its performance and tone. I would suggest you do the same with the Trance system. I have not used one, but I did own a FRAP system back in the late 70's that was very nice (I had the cheaper version w/ the little red preamp), and I recall that the signal strength was not nearly as strong as the good old Barcus Berry pickup I had been using prior to the FRAP.

Currently, I have the Anthem SL intwo guitars (one 6 string and one 12 string) and I like the amplified sound just fine... I have a K&K in another 6 string, and its output is FAR STRONGER than the Anthem, but they each work just fine.

Before you get all worried about the install or premap settings on your Trance, put it through its paces and see how it sounds... obviously, adjust your input gain settings correctly for the Trance.

I'm guessing you'll find that the Trance system performs wonderfully, low signal output or no...
Thanks for the feedback. I agree.

However, there is an ulterior motive to my question. I'm trying to determine if there is an actual problem with the pre-amp because I have an unrelated issue with it.

Unusually low output would help me confirm that. In any case, I've decided to send it back for repair for the unrelated problem. I'm hoping replace it with the model that includes gain adjustment.

The pickup sounds very nice. So, I presume the lens installation is good. The pre-amp unit is plug and play, and easy to replace. Which, is another nifty design considerations from Trance.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:49 PM

Spoke with Gary. Problem in the process of being resolved!

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-09-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:50 AM

Yeah my Trance is fairly hot, haven't compared it directly but I would be surpirsed if ES2 and/or Anthem systems are hotter if at all..

I have the M-VT though. I keep the Volume on full mostly.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7ent7 View Post
Yeah my Trance is fairly hot, haven't compared it directly but I would be surpirsed if ES2 and/or Anthem systems are hotter if at all..

I have the M-VT though. I keep the Volume on full mostly.

Thanks! When I spoke with Gary yesterday he relayed the same thing. There is either an issue with the preamp (my suspicion), or my installation (less likely). I'm sending the system in for testing and will know in about a week. Thanks for the confirmation. I feel better about expending the effort to remove, ship, repair, and replace.

I'm eager to get the full tone from my system.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:32 AM

did you get it sorted in the end? I hope so, the Amulet is just the bees knees
Old 05-15-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7ent7 View Post
did you get it sorted in the end? I hope so, the Amulet is just the bees knees

Fingers crossed! They should be testing/working on it this week and I hope to have it back be the weekend. Hopefully, I will not be embarrassed to learn that it was installation error.

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-16-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:02 AM

Update:

I spoke with Gary and Lauren on the phone. It would appear that my problem is related to installation, or perhaps a wiring issue. They will keep the unit and hope to coax my ghostly popping noise from it. They graciously offered to replace the system with a new package. Starting with a clean slate will allow me to reinstall the new unit with complete confidence.

As far as output is concerned, it seems part of my issue may be related to the Line pad on my mixer. Although, I believe I had the pad turned off on my JBL and the gain was set the same for the mic. Nevertheless, it doesn't appear to be the actual signal output of the preamp.

In summary, to answer my own original question, a well installed Trance Amulet M should, and does, have comparable signal output to any comparable pickup system.

So, I'm relieved that I'll continue to get the great tone quality, with restored output, after installing the replacement system.

Trance Audio makes a great product, and perhaps more importantly, they are great people to work with.

Cheers!

Old 05-16-2017, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Update:

I spoke with Gary and Lauren on the phone. It would appear that my problem is related to installation, or perhaps a wiring issue. They will keep the unit and hope to coax my ghostly popping noise from it. They graciously offered to replace the system with a new package. Starting with a clean slate will allow me to reinstall the new unit with complete confidence.

As far as output is concerned, it seems part of my issue may be related to the Line pad on my mixer. Although, I believe I had the pad turned off on my JBL and the gain was set the same for the mic. Nevertheless, it doesn't appear to be the actual signal output of the preamp.

In summary, to answer my own original question, a well installed Trance Amulet M should, and does, have comparable signal output to any comparable pickup system.

So, I'm relieved that I'll continue to get the great tone quality, with restored output, after installing the replacement system.

Trance Audio makes a great product, and perhaps more importantly, they are great people to work with.

Cheers!

David,

This weekend, I'll plug-in my Trance-equipped Martin HD-28 and compare its output relative to an ES2-equipped Taylor. I'm not sure but I seem to remember the Trance having a lower output when wide-open relative to the ES2. I would do the test sooner but I've just started a new second-shift machinist position and time is limited during weekdays.

Ken
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-16-2017, 11:55 AM

Thanks Ken! I appreciate the help! Good luck with the new position.

Old 05-20-2017, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Thanks Ken! I appreciate the help! Good luck with the new position.

Hi David,

I did a comparison of system output while training my ToneDexter with my Martin HD-28 with Trance Amulet M Dual Mono M-VT and my Taylor 618e with ES2. The following are my observations when watching the ToneDexter's Trim lights as I strummed both guitars with moderate to very aggressive power:

The Martin HD-28 with its Trance Amulet M Volume and Tone controls fully open was approximately equal in output to the Taylor 618e ES2 with its Bass/Treble/Volume controls in their detent positions. Opening the Taylor's Volume control wide-open buried the Trance's output.

Conclusion: The Trance Amulet M Dual Mono is a moderate output acoustic guitar pickup/preamp system. It should work well with any amp or mixer. The Taylor ES2 is a SUPER HOT, balls-to-the wall system that should also work well with any amp or mixer.

Keep On Pickin' & Grinnin'!

Ken
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 05-23-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Hi David,

I did a comparison of system output while training my ToneDexter with my Martin HD-28 with Trance Amulet M Dual Mono M-VT and my Taylor 618e with ES2. The following are my observations when watching the TonedExter's Trim lights as I strummed both guitars with moderate to very aggressive power:

The Martin HD-28 with its Trance Amulet M Volume and Tone controls fully open was approximately equal in output to the Taylor 618e ES2 with its Bass/Treble/Volume controls in their detent positions. Opening the Taylor's Volume control wide-open buried the Trance's output.

Conclusion: The Trance Amulet M Dual Mono is a moderate output acoustic guitar pickup/preamp system. It should work well with any amp or mixer. The Taylor ES2 is a SUPER HOT, balls-to-the wall system that should also work well with any amp or mixer.

Keep On Pickin' & Grinnin'!

Ken

Thanks so much for the confirmation! I was worried that the output was too low. I think it was a combination of my installation and the disparity between the two systems. The new system that's on its way is a Plus version with the gain adjustable preamp, just like the phantom model.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Default Amulet Output

Dave,

I checked my H&D with an Amulet MVT against my Collings with a K&K mini. From what I come up with the Amulet was about 90% of what the K& K was. The actual volume of the guitars are quite different but I had to turn the gain up what I thought was approximately 10% to equal the K&K volume through my amp.

This might bring up another question, does the internal volume or actual power of the guitar effect the output of the pickup?
2014 American Standard Telecaster (Maple Board)Mystic Blue
2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster (Rosewood Board)
1994 Fender 40th Anniversary Stratocaster Caribbean Mist
2011 Martin JC-16RE 50TH Anniversary
2004 Martin J-15
2011 Gibson ES-335 Cherry Red
1993 Continental TriCone
Old 05-22-2017, 09:36 PM

Revy, indeed the mechanical vibrations transferred to the piezo dictate the system output. A louder guitar should generate some more signal. How much more is above my pay grade.

Out of curiosity, were you comparing the K&K passive, or active, with the Amulet? I suspect the way that the Amulet is coupled to the bridge plate (tape) might result in less gain than a superglued K&K.

Regardless, you are confirming what I suspected. The output of the Trance is sufficient, but not as hot as the hot pickups on the market that I have been using (i.e. K&K and ES2).

My presumption was that the Amulet would be a comparably hot signal because of the quality preamp. The signal is high quality and low noise, it's just a smidgeon quieter than the others I was used to.

Which of your guitars is acoustically louder?

Thanks again for taking the time to experiment and share your results!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification