The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-12-2013, 05:17 AM

Default Basic Setup Question

Here's the situation :

25.4" scale guitar, capoed at first fret (more or less permanently, to make it a shorter scale ) . Previous to the capoing approach, I has dialed the action in as low as it would go without strings buzzing on frets, and now with the first fret acting as the nut, there's a little buzz here and there , up towards the lower end of the scale.

The neck relief is literally zero; I took a straightedge and placed it against the frets and it touches them all . The action at the low E string , actual 12th fret (with capo in place) is about .092"- .096 " , and at the actual 12th , high E , it's very close to 1/16" , maybe .064 or .065" .

My question is about which tack to take to give it a hair higher action to relieve the buzz . I don't do this often enough to know much, but just attempting to picture it in my head, it seems like tightening the truss rod , giving a tiny smidge of relief to the neck will work better than raising the saddle. It seems like raising the saddle will raise the strings at the higher frets , but not do as much at the lower end, and tweaking the rod would affect the action more there at the low end where I want it to.

Makes sense?... am I warm ?... is there a significant difference between the two tacks, as to how the action will be affected ?.

TIA
Dar

(oh yeah, there's a whole area for this.... move me if you want to; I'll find me again over there)
Old 03-12-2013, 06:33 AM
Guest 1928

I like flat necks, but I usually set the relief to about 0.005". That feels flat, but gives me a little room for error in case the frets are not absolutely perfect. So I would loosen the truss rod slightly. Then if the buzzing is consistent over most of the fretboard, raise the action at the saddle.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

No expert, but I do my own set-up on several guitars. As a small truss-rod adjustment is the easiest to try, and you say there is no relief at the moment, why not do this. You would want to slacken slightly to give some relief.

Edit: Ahh! see I type too slow...

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 03-12-2013, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Shelton View Post
...[B]The neck relief is literally zero
Hi DS...

I like a bit more than zero. Leaves no latitude for seasonal neck/top movement (going into or coming out of winter).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-12-2013, 07:26 AM

I'm another one who likes just a touch of relief in the neck.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 03-12-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
is there a significant difference between the two tacks, as to how the action will be affected ?
Yes.

The correct way to adjust relief is based on where the buzzing is the worst. If it is worse near the nut, then you need to add relief. If it is worse near the body, you need to reduce relief. If buzzing is basically the same everywhere on the neck, then the relief is correct. In that case, you need to raise the saddle to reduce buzzing.

If you do add relief, you may find that you can lower the saddle a little.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Yes.

The correct way to adjust relief is based on where the buzzing is the worst. If it is worse near the nut, then you need to add relief. If it is worse near the body, you need to reduce relief. If buzzing is basically the same everywhere on the neck, then the relief is correct. In that case, you need to raise the saddle to reduce buzzing.

If you do add relief, you may find that you can lower the saddle a little.
That's all exactly how I pictured it , but like I said, I don't do it often enough to even remember which way the truss rod adjustment screw goes

Thanks ! (everybody)

Dar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair