The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-08-2013, 01:51 AM
Charter Member

Default Pickguard help

Hey folks. I've got a 70's Yairi dread that I love. For as long as I've had it, the pickguard has been curled up on the edges around the whole thing. I can't just add glue and push down (or at least I don't want to) since there's quite a bit of dust/grime collection on the underside of the pickguard and the top of the body below the guard.

I would like to remove the pickguard (which I read how to elsewhere on the forum) but can I reuse that curled pickguard after I clean the back of the guard and the top of the guitar?

So basically... is there a way to flatten the guard or will regluing it be enough to hold it down?

Any thoughts/advice is appreciated!
Old 03-08-2013, 02:20 AM

Default Pickguard help

Watch this video, best to replace it with an entirely new pick guard that looks the same. Removing a pick guard usually renders it useless but this is a simple way to get it off.

A shrinking pickguard cracks the guitar top!

Last edited by joeguam; 01-29-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:33 AM

I think that a new guard will be required. Maybe choose one that is somewhat different looking than the original to give your guitar a new look. I recently had the PG on my Eastman AC312 changed to something bolder looking and it was almost like getting a new guitar. Cheap cure for GAS

Ray
Old 03-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the help fellas.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair