The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-06-2003, 06:26 PM

Default About Improvising

Students ask, "So how do I improvise?"

There is no 'big secret' to Improvisation. Ultimately, one plays what one hears. Listening is key to opening up these endless possibilities. What you hear is comprehensive of what you've heard others play (live or recorded), what you've played before, what your mentors have suggested, what your proficiency allows you and what your heart tells you.

If you want an 'approach' then there are basically 3 Methods of Improvisation
Old 08-06-2003, 08:00 PM

Thanks for the link. That should help a lot of people in this area, including myself. Improvisation is one of those things in music that makes no sense for a long time, and then suddenly it will click. The more I read about it the more things click.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jazzinthebox
Improvisation is one of those things in music that makes no sense for a long time, and then suddenly it will click. The more I read about it the more things click.
I took a class in improvisation back in '99. It didn't click, big time, but I was soooo intrigued. I started taking private lessons from the same instructor, but for me, even though I've been playing for over 30 years, my understanding of theory wasn't strong enough. Four years later, it's starting to click.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:10 PM

If people know what you are going to play over 60% of the time, they will get bored.

If people Don't know what you are going to play over 60% of the time, they will lose interest.

Step 1: Become skilled enough to play what you think.

Step 2: Think Good stuff!

Step 3:Make music V I S U A L !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by brooster; 08-09-2003 at 02:15 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell