The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-23-2017, 05:05 PM

Default Using 2x 12V batteries instead of 2x 6V in an AER Mobile compact 2 amp.

Hi there!

I have an AER Mobile Compact 2 amp, for singing and playing guitar on the streets and at parties etc..

It uses 2x 6V, 12aH SLA batteries wired in series to give 12V, 12aH. The batteries are charged when I plug the amp to the mains, so I'm not using a "normal" charger.

The batteries are now dead and needs to replaced. I found some 12V, 9aH SLA batteries online. They are cheap and almost the same size as my 6volts. I'm pretty sure they will fit. If I bought 2, installed them in the amp and wired them in parallel instead, it would give me 12V, 18aH. Right?

Could I possibly hurt my amp in any way by doing this? Would the amp and the "charger" in the amp care about the extra capacity? I don't know much about this stuff, so any info would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Old 05-23-2017, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

"usually" when they use 2 6V batteries to achieve 12V it's because 6v batteries usually hold more amps. What you're trying to do should work fine as long as the new batteries are the same type of lead acid batteries. That's because of how they are charged and when they tell your charger their full. If they're both lead acid (or both the same type) and you're not changing a lead acid for an AGM or visa versa, you should be fine.

How many amp hours were the 6V?
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 05-23-2017, 05:55 PM

I would stick with a fairly exact replacement. Definitely contact AER if you plan to improvise and get their feedback.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-23-2017, 06:00 PM

Thanks for your answer. It uses sealed lead acid batteries and the new ones I found are also sealed lead acid.
Also are SLA and AGM batteries not the same thing?

Yes I noticed that 6V batteries usually hold more amps than 12V batteries of the same size. The 6V are 12aH, but since they are wired in series in my amp to give 12V, they still just have those 12aH.
So the two 12V, 9aH wired in parallel would give me about 50% extra juice, which would be great.

So a charger, whether it is "normal charger" or inside an amp, does not care about the amps? It just charges the batteries until they reach a certain voltage or what?
Old 05-23-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I would stick with a fairly exact replacement. Definitely contact AER if you plan to improvise and get their feedback.
Thanks for the answer! I tried contacting AER but I have heard nothing from them, and I am kind of in a hurry to get the batteries replaced. Maybe you are right though. That 50% extra playing time just haunts me a bit and I can't quite let it go.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Maybe this link will help:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/AER+Com...lacement/50637

If not I've always had great results writing or calling the North American AER distributor directly with questions:

SFM
325 Bouchard Blvd.
Montreal, QC,
Canada H9S 1A9
Phone: +1 (866) 832-8679
http://sfmmi.com/contact-us/
Old 05-23-2017, 06:28 PM

Default Your Mobile P.A.'s Hip

Looks like a really nice system , very cool . Do you have any videos of you with it live ?

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 05-23-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdog49 View Post
Maybe this link will help:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/AER+Com...lacement/50637

If not I've always had great results writing or calling the North American AER distributor directly with questions:

SFM
325 Bouchard Blvd.
Montreal, QC,
Canada H9S 1A9
Phone: +1 (866) 832-8679
http://sfmmi.com/contact-us/
Thank you! Ok so it has been done, but with 2x 12V, 7aH instead of the 9aH 12volts I found. Wonder if that makes any difference? it's not the most detailed guide though. He doesn't mention the extra wiring and plugs needed to do this. hmm..
Old 05-23-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ramon View Post

Looks like a really nice system , very cool . Do you have any videos of you with it live ?

EZ :

HR
It is a GREAT amp! Really. Yes it is very expensive, but it beats by FAR any of the cheaper amps I have tried (KC110, Cube Street EX, AC33 etc.)

Yeah there might be some videos on the tube somewhere. I'll see if I can find some.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification