The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-12-2013, 10:18 AM

Default Basic Guitar Setup 101, Revised 2013

In 1996, I wrote an article called Basic Guitar Setup 101. It was written at a time when relatively little information was publicly available to the aspiring luthier, repair person or do-it-yourselfer. It was a time before Google, Youtube, Photobucket, Twitter and Facebook and the wide-spread use of multi-media on the internet: it was a time when internet discussion groups were text-only usenet newsgroups. Consequently, when this article was originally “published” to the usenet group rec.music.guitar.acoustic, it contained no pictures or illustrations since they were unsupported in the text-only format of usenet groups.

This article was written in response to the many repetitive questions that were posted to the usenet discussion forums. After repeatedly answering many of the same questions on the subject of guitar setup, I though it expedient to put the answers down in a single article, rather than repeatedly address them one at a time. Once published, readers could then be pointed to the article, saving everyone time and effort. The article was well-received and since then has been freely copied, posted elsewhere and referenced in other articles on the subject.

This article, then as now, is intended as instruction for both those wanting to perform the work themselves as well as for those who do not want to do the work themselves but want to educate themselves to be able to speak knowledgeably with the luthier or technician who will do the work. As with previous revisions, you are welcome to share this article with any who are interested or quote portions of the article. In return I ask only that you provide me with credit as the author.

The direct link to the PDF file is: http://charlestauber.com/luthier/Res...-March2013.pdf

If you have questions regarding the article, we can discuss them here or feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

The revision of the article is the inaugural entry on my guitar blog at http://charlestauber.com/luthier/Gui...itar_Blog.html. From time-to-time, I'll add things to that blog.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the revision/update. I'll check it out.

Have a great day.

Kevin.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Great stuff !!!!

Thank you so much for sharing !
Old 03-12-2013, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the PDF. Lot's of good information in there. Much appreciated.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair