The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-22-2003, 01:36 PM

Default classical playing thumb technique question

I just picked up my NS62ce on Wednesday night. I have been teaching myself classical but using my 514ce for the past three months or so. I discovered when having to strum with the thumb that on the nylon strings I have to actually push down towards the soundhole as I sweep across the strings. Otherwise, it tends to sound weak and I even miss the b or e string. I did not have this problem on the steel string. Could anyone tell me if this is proper technique? Is it ok to strum with the back of your fingernail if that sound is desired. I do find that easier to do. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
2018 Peerless Cremona 16
2019 Schecter J4 bass

Last edited by patriot; 08-22-2003 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:40 PM

Make sure your hand is relaxed and comfortably arched over the strings. On your downstroks, strum with your index, middle, and ring fingers; use your thumbnail for upstrokes. This is routinely used in classical guitar, and even more often in flamenco.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:00 PM

When playing individual bass notes, you don't need to press down, just make sure you follow through with the thumb stroke.

I would suggest practicing just the thumb stroke for a while.

first try resting your finger against the string, then pluck it - do that till you get a good sound. The next step of course is to complete the stroke to include the motion to the string - just stroke -through- the string.

I took private classical lessons for several years and I remember for the first several lessons all we did was work on mechanics - it was invaluable!

good luck with studying the classical technique - it will aid your playing, and not just of classical pieces.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:05 AM

Thankyou for your help. I would have answered sooner but my home computer is temporarily disabled due to a major home renovation. The Chris Parkening book I purchased stated to strum with the thumb whenever I see the "symbol" indicating me to strum a chord. That is why I thought I had to strum with the thumb on the down strokes all the time. I much prefer to strum with my nails on down strokes. It feels more natural.
Regards,
Rich
2018 Peerless Cremona 16
2019 Schecter J4 bass

Last edited by patriot; 08-25-2003 at 06:11 AM.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:50 AM

Another good classical guitar method book is the Shearer method - which is what I studied with my teacher.

I think the Parkening method book is OK, my teacher just warned me off of his arrangements - while beautiful, they can be trick to play because Parkening has the ability to do some amazing stretches that can be showstoppers for mere mortals like myself.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell