The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-01-2018, 08:57 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Default NGD: 2017 Burton LeGeyt Renaissance Parlour

An approximately three year project has come to fruition. Burton LeGeyt of Boston appeared in such episodes as the build project, and Woodstock. He and I had been discussing a parlour guitar for a long time, thought about going with a Ditson, and he suggested the Martin Renaissance guitar owned by Robert Corwin (his photos to come on this link, with his permission)

http://vintagemartin.com/Martin1840Renaissance.html

Burton wanted to use the guitar as an inspiration, not a slavish copy, so he took some liberties which I think turned out very well. Here's Burton in his own words, from his Facebook page:

"I've been wanting to build this guitar for a long time. I became enamored with the guitar this one is based on, the Martin "Renaissance" guitar, years ago when I first saw pictures of it. The lines of the guitar, the tapered heel, the simple and elegant rosette. I loved everything about it.

When Matthew floated the idea of a special little parlor guitar my wheels started turning and I suggested the idea of working elements of that guitar into the one we would be designing. Luckily for me he was on board and, in what felt like a fated moment, was able to set up an introduction with Robert Corwin, who owns the original. That introduction turned into a visit and I was able to see, handle, and measure the original. It was every bit as beautiful in person and that was a special day for me.

As much as I love that guitar I was not interested in building a true copy. The guitar we would be making would be built for modern steel strings and voiced for current tastes. Some changes would be necessary. Both Matthew and I very much wanted to retain the look of the tuning pegs that were on the original. That turned out to be a little tricky- the available machines that incorporated pegs were either not sized correctly, had too low a gear ratio, or were just not structurally sound enough for our purposes. Instead, I worked through constructing my own custom housings, posts, and shafts to utilize a Waverly worm and gear in a fashion that would provide smooth, even tuning and still use the aesthetics we wanted.

The overall headstock design, with the large single opening in the middle, was inspired directly by the work of Mitsuhiro Uchida. I had seen pictures of his work and loved that specific headstock. As I was designing a way to allow us to accent the tuning pegs and also make a visual reference to the body I began to see that as an elegant solution. I was able to contact Uchida and propose what I intended. He graciously gave me permission to make a version of his design and I am extremely grateful for that opportunity.

I am very proud of the completed guitar. I think it fully and clearly references the Renaissance guitar yet is different enough to stand on its own. I was challenged in both the design and engineering of the guitar and feel confident in the decisions and solutions I used. I accomplished a personal goal to keep this small guitar under 3 pounds and it finished out at 2 lbs. 13 oz- with strings. Tonally it is rich and clear with a wonderful bass for the small body size.

I appreciate Matthew's trust in me to take on this guitar and very much appreciate his patience, support, and enthusiasm as the process unfolded. It was a treat for me to get to make a guitar I have long been wanting to and I hope he thinks it is as good as I do

Specs are:
Red Spruce soundboard
Koa back and sides
Spanish Cedar neck
ebony fingerboard, bridge, headstock overlay, tuning pegs
bone nut, saddle, and pins
Custom rosette and end graft in maple and rosewood
Rosewood top binding and maple purflings
Custom tuning machines in aluminum, titanium, bronze and steel
25" scale
EVO frets
Custom body shape: 12" lower bout, 4 3/16 depth at end
Polyester finish on body, oil on neck
Custom fitted Calton case."

P front whole by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

P front close by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

P back 3-4 by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

P back heel detail by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

P headstock front by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

P headstock back 3-4 by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

P detail with rosette by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Thoughts on tone etc will have to wait another two weeks or so, because in the course of finishing my house renovation I broke two more nails (call the trauma helicopter) and haven't really been able to get a feel for it yet except for two things. Those who played it at Woodstock commented about the shocking bass response this tiny little guitar manages, and of course the neck is absolutely sublime, just as any LeGeyt is. I'll get a better idea of the treble response as the red spruce top opens up and as I can get the nails going again. Fear not, it is getting playing time and you guys will get a more in-detail review shortly.

Thanks for following along in this journey!

Last edited by CoolerKing; 02-01-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:16 PM

I love this Matthew. Very elegant, and yet very modern looking. I think I love the neck/headstock the most and leaving that texture on the neck adds to that timeless look.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:37 AM

That just came out awesome! Congrats and enjoy!
Old 02-02-2018, 11:40 AM

I was skeptical all along the build thread -- but this is actually a very nice looking guitar. I like the headstock -- and the back is killer...

Congrats, Matthew!
Old 02-03-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I was skeptical all along the build thread -- but this is actually a very nice looking guitar. I like the headstock -- and the back is killer...

Congrats, Matthew!
I like conversion of skeptics to potential admirers! For those having never played one I can attest having an engineer and artist, LeGeyt makes a peerless guitar. I have two right now, and I am unlikely to sell them barring bilateral arm decapitation.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:48 PM

This is the most amazing guitar I've ever seen constructed.

I have no idea on the tone, but the ingenuity, craftsmanship, and pure will is really something to marvel at. The tired phrase "labour of love" comes to mind! I've exchanged a few messages with Burton, as we both share a design background - you can see that in play here. In my business we say "the best client gets the best work", and that is certainly true here. What a collaboration!

Congratulations to you both.

1936 D-18
1938 00-18h
B&H D-18 ordered

Old 02-03-2018, 10:02 PM

Always a fan of Burton's work.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:35 AM
Charter Member

Hey Matthew,

I just realised that this is your second guitar by Burton, and I have now visited the build thread for the first one. Wow, they are each so impressive and so individual. Being a fellow Baranik owner you know that all Mike’s guitars have a "signature sound". Can you say the same about the two LeGeyts?

Col
Old 02-04-2018, 03:25 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations, Matthew !

I know the wait has been long, with all the setbacks you documented in the build thread and now this near-death nail experience. Does my heart ever bleed for you!

Looking forward to your feedback on one of the most original guitars I've ever seen.

Till then, just remember that famous line from "Blazing Saddles, Nuts and Strings": "Nails ! We don need no estinkin' nails!"
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 02-04-2018, 04:20 AM

Congratulations Matt! Sorry to hear about your nails and hope that you get well soon. If you recall, I had a pretty bad accident with a butter knife and my left hand one day after receiving my Michaud so my sympathies to you.

Very much looking forward to hearing how this sounds. I have a new found appreciation for small bodied instruments

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 02-08-2018, 09:06 PM

Thanks everyone for their kind replies. It has been a great guitar so far and I'm looking forward to posting a sound clip at some point.

Stay tuned!
Old 02-08-2018, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Burton is one talented dude.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

MISSION SUCCESS....!!!
Old 02-09-2018, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Congrats! Loving the look of this!!
Old 02-11-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Hey Matthew,

I just realised that this is your second guitar by Burton, and I have now visited the build thread for the first one. Wow, they are each so impressive and so individual. Being a fellow Baranik owner you know that all Mike’s guitars have a "signature sound". Can you say the same about the two LeGeyts?

Col
So sorry about the late reply! It has been insane at work lately. This guitar is too different in size and is only the second LeGeyt I've ever had the pleasure of playing to tell you about a signature sound; that and the soundboard is so small it does have the typical parlour boxy sound, which I really like, and is surprisingly bass-ful. I can unequivocally state that it does have the LeGeyt playability; his necks are just magnificent to play, a semi-finished oil type varnish with just enough texture to appreciate, and I would put it up there with the most comfortable neck on any guitar I've ever played, next to Juston's old Brondel and the other Brondels I've played.

Hope this helps! Sound clips to come.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop