The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-07-2018, 07:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default HIPS

It was fun designing this open headstock. I made it as wide as I dared to allow maximum access for string changes which is an often heard concern with slot heads. Additionally, with all open area of this type of headstock we get very easy access to the torsion rod which I call a HIPS arrangement:

I carried the Black Ebony neck center strip into the opening of the headstock and made it wide enough to accommodate the diameter of the torsion rod adjustment socket.
Still wondering what HIPS means?
Hidden In Plain Sight

Thanks for following along!
Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 02-07-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Here you go Zandit75. This is a picture of the very unfinished headstock:

The side is an access plate. Here a picture with it removed:

The floors of the cutouts inside where the tuners mount are stepped so the string posts are perpendicular to the length of the guitar.

Thanks for following along!
Mark
Wow, very sneaky, and much better than anything I could imagine as a solution!! Beautiful work as always!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 02-07-2018, 09:48 PM

Mark, how are the covers held in place? Are they dovetailed so they can just slide on and off?
Old 02-07-2018, 10:05 PM

Magnet?

Old 02-08-2018, 01:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Wow, very sneaky, and much better than anything I could imagine as a solution!! Beautiful work as always!
Thanks Zandit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Mark, how are the covers held in place? Are they dovetailed so they can just slide on and off?
That would be a nice way except I can't make that work. In order to mount the tuners I had to put slots in the back laminate so the stems to the tuner buttons could slide in. I put small ebony feet on the covers that partially fill those slots so they'll prevent the dovetail arrangement you suggest.
Also, I don't trust a friction attachment on the vibrating headstock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Magnet?
Maybe. It depends if the cover wants to warp at all. I did a laminate of Walnut and Ebony on the covers which could either stabilize them or they could even cause warping (think bi-metal oven thermometer). Again, I can't have any rattles.
So I'll see how the covers are doing after the finish is on. It's likely I'll need to use screws.

Thanks for commenting!
Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 02-08-2018, 03:07 PM

I did a two ply top with the sheets 90 degrees from each other. In winter it looks like a portion of a barrel and in summer it is flat. A good lesson. I hope your wood is happy with each other.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
... It's likely I'll need to use screws.

Mark
Hmm............

https://www.craftsmanhardware.com/cr...ch1014acp.html

Old 02-08-2018, 05:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I did a two ply top with the sheets 90 degrees from each other. In winter it looks like a portion of a barrel and in summer it is flat. A good lesson. I hope your wood is happy with each other.
So you know what I'm talking about In this case we're talking much smaller in size and hardwoods. Both the Walnut and Ebony grain is lengthwise. So it's just one of those things I'm watching. I can redo them in another arrangement if need be. That one of the reasons I'm calling this the unlimited series as I'll take whatever time it takes until I'm comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Cool, thanks! I have some little black screws. These pyramids are about as wide as the Walnut cover. Sometimes going big is the way to go. We'll see.
Thanks for that!
Mark

Old 02-08-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
That one of the reasons I'm calling this the unlimited series as I'll take whatever time it takes until I'm comfortable...
LOL by this definition I think everything I make I could call an unlimited series!
Old 02-09-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Cool, thanks! I have some little black screws. These pyramids are about as wide as the Walnut cover. Sometimes going big is the way to go. We'll see.
Thanks for that!
Mark
I figured they were probably around the same size as the thickness of the headstock, many a tad smaller. They are very cool, though. I have some on a piece of furniture we bought a couple years ago, a 1912-1916 era Gustav Stickley #819 sideboard. Those Stickley pyramid screws are 3/8" wide.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Update

I haven't shown any progress on this one for awhile so I thought I'd put up these two pictures. Lot's of new elements on this guitar so it's been moving along slowly. I expect I'll have it ready for finish next week:

Thanks for viewing!
Mark

Old 04-30-2018, 03:14 PM

I’m curious if you altered the angle of your headstock from what you typically use for this style headstock?

I did an open style like this, and in the end, the break angle over the nut was more extreme than if I use a standard slotted headstock.

Not that that was a problem exactly, just something I made a note of for the next one, that I would lessen my head angle quite a bit.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFW View Post
I’m curious if you altered the angle of your headstock from what you typically use for this style headstock?

I did an open style like this, and in the end, the break angle over the nut was more extreme than if I use a standard slotted headstock.

Not that that was a problem exactly, just something I made a note of for the next one, that I would lessen my head angle quite a bit.

That’s interesting. I used the same angle that I would for a normal slot head and the holes are centered in the same thickness headstock that I would use for a slot head. I don’t see any issue but, it may be because I’m using these stealth tuners.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:06 AM

Oh man....would love to try this when it’s ready...I can imagine it being great for slow airs...some Celtic melodies...
Old 05-01-2018, 07:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianL View Post
Oh man....would love to try this when it’s ready...I can imagine it being great for slow airs...some Celtic melodies...

Thanks Damian I’m planning to show it at the Woodstock show in October. I see you’re in Scotland so you might miss that show. I will have recordings up when it’s set.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop