The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 04:15 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Decisions decisions. That's a tough one. I would imagine the fretboard and binding scheme come into play as well. Nice piece of Amazon RW.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Hi Tom.

I've been lurking, but not commenting. Congrats on the new build. I'm glad to see that you're back for more! This Texan beauty made by those Texans is shaping up nice and purdy-like.

My first thought was that the rosewood bridge would be better, but after googling "Celebes Ebony" (hint, type "Celebes ebony wood" - you get a bit closer!), I'm thinking that ebony will look good too. Either way, you can't go wrong. Can't wait to see more.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Decisions decisions. That's a tough one. I would imagine the fretboard and binding scheme come into play as well. Nice piece of Amazon RW.
Yes, you are right, I am waiting to see the fret board in there also. The binding is the Celebes ebony with the radial SEA rosewood for purfling. So there will be plenty of ebony to play off of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Hi Tom.

I've been lurking, but not commenting. Congrats on the new build. I'm glad to see that you're back for more! This Texan beauty made by those Texans is shaping up nice and purdy-like.

My first thought was that the rosewood bridge would be better, but after googling "Celebes Ebony" (hint, type "Celebes ebony wood" - you get a bit closer!), I'm thinking that ebony will look good too. Either way, you can't go wrong. Can't wait to see more.
Thanks for lurking....that sentence has probably not been used too often by anyone....and now commenting. I agree, although I might be afraid to google Celebes ebony wood also.....OK, moving right along, the Celebes ebony was cut, bent, and glued into the rosette today, but I have not seen the final product...having thought more about it overnight, with the fretboard, the rosette binding, and the side bindings, the ebony bridge might look best....Ryan is to send pictures with both options and the fretboard when he gets a chance. I will post them and see what y'all think!

Hey, saw your new build listed also, that is some nice Ziricote! Congrats! Looking forward to seeing that one.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 12-05-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:11 PM

A couple of days ago I mentioned the two bridge choices, but wanted to see those with the ebony bound sound hole:

Here is the ebony bridge choice:

And here is the Amazon Rosewood choice:

You will have to imagine the fret board there as well which is ebony....
Old 12-08-2016, 05:17 PM

And here is a quick pic of the side braces being glued in place....

The top and bottom linings have been glued in and the back has been braced and they were working on the top bracing today....I am guessing there will be a guitar box coming soon. I like the way the grain has been matched so well from one side to the other!
Old 12-08-2016, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Tough choice--I think the ebony bridge would tie in well with the fretboard and binding, but dang! That Amazon bridge is just too freaking beautiful not to use!

It gets my vote...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 12-09-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Tough choice--I think the ebony bridge would tie in well with the fretboard and binding, but dang! That Amazon bridge is just too freaking beautiful not to use!

It gets my vote...
I agree, it is a tough call. After tallying all the votes, ie. yours and now mine, I am still not quite sure because I agree with what you said. I think the ebony is the smart choice for tying in with everything, but the A. rosewood is very pretty and does have some dark streaks in it and should darken more with finish.....so based on all that, the vote tally, I have decided tooooooooooooo....
wait and decide later!
Old 12-09-2016, 07:09 AM

Here is a picture of the side braces being carved, one of Ryan's favorite jobs, info that I have garnered from inside info....looks like the linings have been notched to accept braces as well....

And then finished:

Old 12-09-2016, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

My vote is on the ebony bridge. I think the black ties in best with the inner ring of the rosette, and should go well with the fretboard & etc. While the Rosewood bridge is attractive, I think it's suited to a different guitar, and the striping detracts from the radial grain in the rosette. You mentioned that there was some subtler striping in the ebony.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 12-09-2016, 09:44 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Since you have told us the Celebes Ebony will be used for binding and the fretboard is Ebony, I would have to go with the Ebony bridge. It certainly looks nice with the Ebony sound hole.

The ARW bridge is definitely awesome but may be distracting for your current design. Just my 2 cents!
Old 12-09-2016, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Not to clutter up the bridge decision further, but African Blackwood might be a third option to consider. It pretty much looks like ebony on the surface but will have more of the tonal characteristics of rosewood. Regardless, I think it'll look nice with any choice. All in all, though, it's looking great!
Old 12-09-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrell View Post
My vote is on the ebony bridge. I think the black ties in best with the inner ring of the rosette, and should go well with the fretboard & etc. While the Rosewood bridge is attractive, I think it's suited to a different guitar, and the striping detracts from the radial grain in the rosette. You mentioned that there was some subtler striping in the ebony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Since you have told us the Celebes Ebony will be used for binding and the fretboard is Ebony, I would have to go with the Ebony bridge. It certainly looks nice with the Ebony sound hole.

The ARW bridge is definitely awesome but may be distracting for your current design. Just my 2 cents!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_pridx View Post
Not to clutter up the bridge decision further, but African Blackwood might be a third option to consider. It pretty much looks like ebony on the surface but will have more of the tonal characteristics of rosewood. Regardless, I think it'll look nice with any choice. All in all, though, it's looking great!

Ok, thanks, that actually helps a lot. 3 for the darker bridge albeit ebony or possibly ABW....I was leaning that way as I almost thought the rosewood colors were too close, ie. not just right with the Redwood burl used for the rosette and thought the contrast with the ebony bridge made the rosette stand out more. I will ask Steve about possible ABW, dark, but with a little more grain pattern...

Tom
Old 12-09-2016, 02:46 PM

Here is a pic of the top bracing waiting to be carved with my name on them...looks like the boys stayed right in the lines when gluing these up!

Last edited by TomB'sox; 12-10-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:12 PM

Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Sorry, Tom, but I can testify that 2 Kinnairds are not quite enough...

I am working on my #3 with John K. The eastern half of the Kinnaird Conglomerate.

These Kinnaird guitars are mind bogglingly fine...

Have fun ! Sure is pretty wood. It'll sing like angels when Steve and Ryan are done with it...

Cheers

Paul
You can't have enough! Each time I get one from John or Steve/Ryan, I say this is a keeper, I'm not selling it...but I wind up selling most of them and ordering more. Must have had 12-15 and keep ordering more....and I know I'll say I will never sell THIS one....but people love those guitars, so I'll keep buying (and probably selling ).
Old 12-12-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Guitar View Post
You can't have enough! Each time I get one from John or Steve/Ryan, I say this is a keeper, I'm not selling it...but I wind up selling most of them and ordering more. Must have had 12-15 and keep ordering more....and I know I'll say I will never sell THIS one....but people love those guitars, so I'll keep buying (and probably selling ).
Now that is a testimonial if I have ever read one. Thanks Bob, I am sure I will be keeping mine though!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop