The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-20-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Without being judgmental one way or the other, I honestly have never played a CF guitar that I thought really sounded like a wood guitar. They seem to have their own, very distinctive tonal spectrum.
CA is the only manufacturer that tries to make CF guitars that sound like traditional wood guitars. In particular, the vintage voiced Legacy truly sounds like a wood dread (I've got a Vintage Performer, which is what CA called the vintage Legacy back in 2006). I'm not saying that CF guitars need to sound like wood, but it's good to know you don't have to have a guitar that sounds like CF to gain the advantages of composite construction.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
CA is the only manufacturer that tries to make CF guitars that sound like traditional wood guitars. In particular, the vintage voiced Legacy truly sounds like a wood dread (I've got a Vintage Performer, which is what CA called the vintage Legacy back in 2006). I'm not saying that CF guitars need to sound like wood, but it's good to know you don't have to have a guitar that sounds like CF to gain the advantages of composite construction.
This is also my take as I've owned several Rainsongs (Still own a WS3000 12 String that is really nice plugged in) A Blackbird Lucky 13 & an Emerald X30.

In Short I keep coming back to the CA guitars as they sound so close to a wooden guitar I doubt if I could tell in a Blind test.

I do think that Rainsong, Emerald, Blackbird all make really fine instruments but to me they just don't sound as close to a wooden guitar as the CA line does.

Not saying this is a good or bad thing just my 2 cents.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 03-20-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderman57 View Post
This is also my take as I've owned several Rainsongs (Still own a WS3000 12 String that is really nice plugged in) A Blackbird Lucky 13 & an Emerald X30.

In Short I keep coming back to the CA guitars as they sound so close to a wooden guitar I doubt if I could tell in a Blind test.

I do think that Rainsong, Emerald, Blackbird all make really fine instruments but to me they just don't sound as close to a wooden guitar as the CA line does.

You have one heck of a stable of CAs!! Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 03-20-2013, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
You have one heck of a stable of CAs!! Steve
Thanks,

I have one more I'd like to add as soon as they become avail. A GXi with built in Aura.

Michael @ MacNichol's has had one on order for a long time and they keep telling him "3 more months" I could have one now with the Reg. Fishman Sytem which are nice also but the two I have with the Built in Aura just blow me away at every gig and are stupid simple to use.

I'm just gonna have to wait it out but I got plenty of nice ones to keep me pickin'

I saw a pic of you're new RS Parlor addtion to the family, Very nice indeed!
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 03-20-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderman57 View Post

Just askin'...I have played the Cargos both the RAW and the RT and like them both. What is the next size up in the CA line up? Have you played the Peavey CAs and do you find them comprable? Do they offer a short scale model (I know the Cargos are but I find them cramped for me).

Thanks!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 03-20-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itself View Post
Just askin'...I have played the Cargos both the RAW and the RT and like them both. What is the next size up in the CA line up? Have you played the Peavey CAs and do you find them comprable? Do they offer a short scale model (I know the Cargos are but I find them cramped for me).

Thanks!
Lisa, to the best of my knowledge, the Cargo is the only CA with a short scale. I would prefer something not quite so short, but it does make an good travel guitar.

The OX is probably the next size up.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:57 PM

Yes OX next size up, nice guitar payed a Peavey last year. The X, XI thin body would be similar in size and a little more expensive used to own one.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 03-20-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Yes OX next size up, nice guitar payed a Peavey last year. The X, XI thin body would be similar in size and a little more expensive used to own one.
The X and Xi have the same body size as the GX and GXi, only thinner. I believe the OX is slightly smaller than (though not as thin as) the X and Xi.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure anyone's opinion of sound can be objective.(including mine) I know I can make my 37 year old D28 sound very cheap by changing strings. I think everyone has a certain sound that makes them melt as far as acoustic guitars. In my experience which is vast, I can get just about any sound I want by changing the bridge, or strings. Heck, I put a set of nickle flat wound on my Taylor once just to get a dark buttery sound for a particular song. The little bit of experimenting I've done on my Rainsong proves to me the acoustic tone can be tweaked. I am pleased with my Rainsong dred.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post
I'm not sure anyone's opinion of sound can be objective.(including mine) I know I can make my 37 year old D28 sound very cheap by changing strings. I think everyone has a certain sound that makes them melt as far as acoustic guitars. In my experience which is vast, I can get just about any sound I want by changing the bridge, or strings. Heck, I put a set of nickle flat wound on my Taylor once just to get a dark buttery sound for a particular song. The little bit of experimenting I've done on my Rainsong proves to me the acoustic tone can be tweaked. I am pleased with my Rainsong dred.
In my experience, my ear changes as well. Ever since I bought my Rainsong and spent a decent amount of time playing it, most guitars sound a little dead when I play them. I'm sure if I played another guitar for a while, I'd come back to my Rainsong and it would sound too bright or something. But, at least in my experience, my own perception also changes depending on any number of things .
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 03-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Thanks!
Hey Lisa,

The others have it right the OX is the next size up from the Cargo and a really nice size guitar at that. I have played the OX and think it's as nice as any guitar CA offers but I don't have a real need for that size guitar at this time.

2 of my CA's are Peavey models as was the Cargo I had & sold. To me I do think Peavey has refined them and made a great guitar just a little bit better at least in what I'm seeing, playing & hearing. Not leaps & bounds over Pre-Peavy models but neck angle is a little better & overall fit & finish is also a little more polished.

I think Cargos are amazing for the size period. But I did not dig that short of a scale length and did not really need it to be a travel guitar.
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 03-20-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
The X and Xi have the same body size as the GX and GXi, only thinner. I believe the OX is slightly smaller than (though not as thin as) the X and Xi.
Not true XI smaller body than GX
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 03-20-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:

Thanks!
The next size up would be the X or Xi which are grand concert size followed by the OX which is an OM, then the GX or GXi, their grand auditorium, and of course the Legacy which is a dreadnought. Other than the Cargo all CA's have the standard long scale.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltBlue View Post
I get excited about CF guitars until I read something like this. I don't want a sound comparable to wood guitars. That's what wood guitars are for. I want a sound that's even better than or in some remarkable way different than wood guitars.
I'd love to have a guitar that sounds like wood, but doesn't need the degree of care that wood requires.

Living in a part of the country where climate changes require constant attention to humidity makes CF guitars an interesting option.

If they sound as good as described, then they are worth a look.
'19 Gibson LP Std 50s Gold | '17 Kala KA-SMHT Ukulele | '16 Gibson SG Std T | '16 Fender Squire Vint Mod Jazz Bass 77 | '15 Yamaha FG830 AB | '14 EVH Wolfgang Special | '11 PRS Cust 24 10-Top | '11 Martin 000-18GE | '11 Martin GPCPA1 | '08 Fender Mx. Std. Tele | '06 Taylor 814CE-LTD | '04 Gibson LP Std | ’03 Martin OM-28V | '01 Fender Am. Dlx. Strat | '01 Epiphone DOT | '99 Fender Mx. Std. Strat
Old 03-21-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Not true XI smaller body than GX
Having both a GX and an Xi, I thought the bodies were the same size (certainly seemed that way to me, only the Xi is thinner). However, it appears you're correct. This archived old CA website lists the specs. They are close. The body for all of these is the same length, 20". The width of the GX/GXi is 16", while the X/Xi is slightly smaller at 15 1/4" (pretty much unnoticeable, to me anyway). The big difference is the body depth, which is 4 7/8" for the GX/GXi, but only 3 1/4" for the X/Xi.

Personally, when I went from the GX to the Xi, I did not notice that the body was smaller in any way and they looked very close. The thinness of the Xi is what really stands out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber