The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-18-2013, 08:51 PM

Default Replace the back??

My Recording King alterations have been successful as well as a bunch of fun.

So far, I've added a new bolt on neck (zero fret) to create a 24" scale, put in a cutaway installed a pinless bridge and took a bunch off the top braces for purpose..
I inlaid a piece of veneer in front of the bridge and added rosewood binding just to see if I could.

It sounds a plays great. Short scale with 1 13/16 nut spacing. I ran out of fretwire..lol
It's an econo custom for those of us that don't have the tools to build a whole guitar, utilizing mostly the top and sides of an overall decent guitar

sorry no close ups. It's a 5 footer

My question is, would much be gained sonically by replacing the back with solid rosewood? I think I can do it with my current tools and skill level. I bought some what looks like decent wood off flea bay and thought I might get LMI to join it and get it to thickness for me.
It currently has sitka top and laminate mahogany back and sides.
Thanks !!
Old 10-18-2013, 09:22 PM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

Well it looks like you are, bit by bit, getting "the bug" Doug. Guess we might be seeing a build thread sooner or later by you.

"Gained sonically" you could do but it depends on what you want to gain and how you go about doing it. Maybe some research on backs might help or you could just go for it and see what happens, looks like you are enjoying it the way you are going about things anyways.

Jim
Old 10-19-2013, 02:05 AM

It will change the sound, but IMHO putting on a smaller bridge would help that guitar more than anything.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
It will change the sound, but IMHO putting on a smaller bridge would help that guitar more than anything.
It's a standard size bridge. 6.75 x 1.125
Bad choice of color of the veneer I spliced in to patch a little top tear out when removing the original bridge

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair